Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 06:45 PM

5 posts, read 15,032 times

Advertisements

Hi there. When you think about it, cell phones are assuming greater and greater roles in our lives. First it was talking (that replaced land line phones), then it was the clock (that replaced watches), then it was text messaging and email, and AIM, and all sorts of other things. So the question is, can y'all envision ways that the cellphone will continue to play larger and larger roles in our lives? How about replacement for television, pc, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 07:01 AM

5 posts, read 14,867 times
I think a lot of the new advances in the role of cell phones will parallel with the advances in screen technologies.

New advances of screen technologies will enable new roles.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:29 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,713,480 times
In Asia and Europe, most of these "visions" have already come true. They use them to pay with, to use coupons with, to watch tv on, etc. We're so far behind the rest of the world here in the States when it comes to cell phone technology.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:07 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,444,728 times
The greatest use of the cell phone is how it can suck money from your life every month for a percieved need. Lets see a $200 I phone with 2 year contract at some $$ a month, or a watch and a quarter in your pocket. Cell phone reliability is no where near that of a land line. When the tower is down or a cable cut, the land line usually is still working as your cell is dead. Then do you really NEED to be on the phone so much????

Plan ahead, save your hard earned cash.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,708,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
The greatest use of the cell phone is how it can suck money from your life every month for a percieved need. Lets see a $200 I phone with 2 year contract at some $$ a month, or a watch and a quarter in your pocket. Cell phone reliability is no where near that of a land line. When the tower is down or a cable cut, the land line usually is still working as your cell is dead. Then do you really NEED to be on the phone so much????

A quarter in your pocket? For what? Have you seen how much it costs to place a local call at a payphone these days, provided you can even find one anymore? Don't be such a Luddite.

Mobile phones have revolutionized the way people communicate and get information, and will continue to do so for a while as they become more like small mobile computers. There are already phones that let you surf the internet, watch tv, listen to music, organize your email, and work on spreadsheets. In more advanced countries, people use their mobile phones as credit and debit cards, swiping them over sensors to pay for things, and as location aware devices to find friends. Its hard to imagine how they can grow into anything more, they already do everything.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
I set three alarms on my phone, and that way I know just before it's time to get to work, just before it's time to go on break, and just before it's time to go home.

I use it for THAT more than I use it for a phone!

Old 10-09-2008, 08:38 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,899,754 times
I barely use my phone as a phone -

Last months bill i used 800 minutes TOTAL.

2.5k SMS/Texting
and a TON of Data (Internet, Email, Im'ing, blogging) Wishing City-Data would create a WAP site for Mobile.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:23 PM

262 posts, read 1,042,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmett View Post
Hi there. When you think about it, cell phones are assuming greater and greater roles in our lives. First it was talking (that replaced land line phones), then it was the clock (that replaced watches), then it was text messaging and email, and AIM, and all sorts of other things. So the question is, can y'all envision ways that the cellphone will continue to play larger and larger roles in our lives? How about replacement for television, pc, etc?
There are watches that have cell phones built in now. And I still wear a watch. But who the hell wants to watch tv on a cell phone? I need surround sound and a super high quality screen.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:25 PM

262 posts, read 1,042,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post

One word....Satcom. It's pimp, just trust me on this. I got to use a $10,000 pocket satellite dish from Harris once....sweeet stuff, really James Bondish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones