Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 03:58 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,531 times

Advertisements

I'm leaning towards either the Blackberry Storm or the Samsung Instinct, what do you guys think? Any other models I should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 01:17 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Got Samsung's Instinct.
It's a phone; first and foremost. A multi-communication device second, and a mp3 player last.
Apple got it bassackwards.
And Sprint's everything plan is well, Everything!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:43 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,320 times
I read that the Samsung Omnia is pretty good, but have no personal experience with it.

You should wait on the Storm, as the initial reviews haven't been that good. One of the main reasons is that the software was not developed from the scratch for a touch screen phone, but it is actually their old OS tweaked to respond to a touchscreen. Majority of the touchscreen phones have their OS developed specifically for the phones. I would probably wait until there is more firmware updates (I heard a recent one does fix some bugs already) or for the next model on the Storm.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:45 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
I don't have one, but maybe the G2.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:37 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,006 times
The blackberry touch has gotten withering reviews. I'd avoid it.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:48 AM

27,340 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Im really not a big fan of the touch-screen phone, thats way too advanced and Id be afraid that because I always have it in pocket, it wouldnt be too hard to lean back, or move, and accidentally push a button that could cost major airtime/internet time, or even log into something you dont want to sign into. I'll stick with something with either locking keyboard or a flip phone.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:45 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Storm user here. not as responsive as the iPhone. The storm's spring loaded screen is neat, except the focal point is the very center of the screen... so its not as responsive when you move away from the center. All in all, its not very impressive. We're currently running a beta firmware (.91), so some of the issues are better, but its not flawless.

All in all - if you are using this for personal reasons, BB really has no distinct advantages IMO. I'd stick with a iPhone, or similar products with your respective carrier. BB is still a business oriented phone, its integration with an Exchange environment, Centralized administration / security, and availability of business tools is in my opinion, still unmatched. However, as a personal phone.. its kinda pricey and underperforms when compared with other available products. iPhone has tons more consumer based apps......

Just my .02 of course. As soon as the bold is available on Verizon, I'll be making the switch again.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:18 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Im really not a big fan of the touch-screen phone, thats way too advanced and Id be afraid that because I always have it in pocket, it wouldnt be too hard to lean back, or move, and accidentally push a button that could cost major airtime/internet time, or even log into something you dont want to sign into. I'll stick with something with either locking keyboard or a flip phone.
I don't know about other phones, but the iphone's touch screen only responds to touch. You have to touch it with your skin to make it respond, so it wouldn't be activated by the things in your pocket. I guess you could accidentally activate it by sticking your hands in your pocket, but even then, you'd have to accidentally press one of the buttons, then swipe across the screen to get to the home page, which would be hard to do by accident.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,975 times
I've been looking at the Nokia N95/N96. The N97 is coming out soon. As far as specs go they blow the iphone out of the water. I've never used one though. I don't think a single company in the states carries them, but you can buy them online from newegg and other tech websites. Camera, video, bluetooth that isn't crippled, wifi, and there is a phone somewere in there.
Kinda pricey though.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:32 PM

77 posts, read 321,547 times
I have the N95 and a Blackberry Curve. I continue to use the Curve more because of the full keyboard, but have used the N95 on occasion for VOIP phone calls. My N95 was bought from Nokia so it's not branded to a carrier and nothing is crippled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones