Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:06 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,276,441 times

Advertisements

I think I'll wait until next year when my iPhone contract is up and buy the EVO for $100 bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 08:31 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Ok, expect, so tell us - how much did you pay?

I'm still getting used to using the phone - navigating everything and whatnot, but so far, I love it! It blows away my Palm Centro in every way. I have it streaming music to my bluetooth headphones, using the WiFi connection in the house instead of the cellular network to conserve power... I'll try out one of the tethering apps once they've been confirmed to work with the Evo.

Very nice phone. I'm quite content with the purchase. My girlfriend, who also got one, is experiencing phone nirvana.

PdaNet for Android Purchase Agreement

You are about to purchase PdaNet for Android. Please read the agreement carefully before you continue.

[SIZE=2] 1. The price of a single license is $23.95 ($18.95 now for a limited time). It is a one time purchase for the Android version. One license covers one phone (you can reuse the license if you switch to a new Android phone). There is no limit on the computer side.

I also wondered if expect got the phone for $50. What a joke!
[/SIZE]

Old 06-21-2010, 04:38 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Ok, expect, so tell us - how much did you pay?
I think we lost him...

Old 06-21-2010, 05:43 PM

43,303 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
I think we lost him...
But, how do you like your Evo?

Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
LOVE it.

I don't use the 4G, though. The places I've turned it on (including at home) have such horrible reception, the 3G is actually faster and more reliable. The WiFi works great, though, and I find myself using the phone instead of my laptop for things I used to do with my laptop while in the living room.

There's no shortage of apps on the android platform, either, and they're stupid cheap - most in the $1-$3 range, if not free - most of the apps I've installed so far are free; I've only paid for two or three, the most expensive of which was Office To Go, at $15. The next highest was $2.99, I think.

The device is also very fast and responsive. The GPS navigation apps that came loaded on it (there are three! ) work very well. I can have music streaming from my mp3s or Slacker (internet radio) to the car stereo via bluetooth (great sound quality btw), and the GPS will break in and announce the next turn, etc. over the car audio system.

The Layar app that's being pushed on the TV commercials for the android is pretty interesting, but I only installed it a few days ago and haven't really given it much of a workout.

The camera takes pretty decent pictures, as long as you're not looking at them at full resolution. It's an 8 mp camera, but the lens is so small and the compression so high, the quality just isn't up to par, especially in low light (read: indoors). For what it is, though, it's pretty darn good.

Here's a pic I took at Binions yesterday, that I've resized: (my girlfriend hit quad 4s )

This is an inset of that image, at 100%:

It's not as bad in full sun, but the artifacts are still there and it's just not top notch. It is just a phone, though (I have to keep reminding myself of that!). The video it takes is decent, but again, lots of compression artifacts. I won't be giving up my Handycam anytime soon.

As with all the other reviews, the biggest caveat is battery life. It's not a huge problem for me, but I'm not terribly demanding of my phone's battery. I rarely make/receive a call (maybe 3-4 calls per week), and I'm in front of a computer for 12+ hours per day, so I just don't need to chew up the battery for any reason. The main thing is to keep a charger handy. The first accessory we bought was a car charger, and I bought one for each car. If you're out and about, you do NOT want to be without the ability to charge the phone when necessary, if you're a person that must be highly available. While I don't use the phone as a phone very much, it HAS to be there and on when I'm not at home, in case a customer calls or one of the kids needs to get a hold of us.

That said, the only other real complaint I have is that I can't seem to find any way to turn off the phone itself, without either turning off the entire device (complete power down) or setting it to "airplane mode", in which it disables ALL wireless radios. I'd like to be able to turn the phone off but still have the WiFi on, and there doesn't seem to be any way to do that.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:06 PM

43,303 posts, read 77,142,685 times
I am enjoying it too.
Android is much more competent than WinMobile 6.1.

I love the screen size, and the virtual keyboard size. I was nervous about the keyboard, but think it will do just fine.

The camera works well enough, and the video too, both in decent light.

I DO use the phone a lot. It is the only business number I publicize.
So the short battery life is an issue. But the Touch Pro also suffered from short battery life, so I am somewhat acclimated to that, and to using a charger when I am in the car or at a desk. And Evo uses the same chargers as my Motorola 710H Bluetooth headset, so I have chargers to pick from, and bought a car charger.

Bluetooth doesn't drop out like it did with the TouchPro. I can plan to finish a conversation and not drop the headset connection.

Apps? My wife is so proud that I downloaded a 3 Stooges sound board. Nyuk nyuk nyuk.
There are others that are more practical, though.
I don't do much with GPS. The first time I tried it, the route was unbelievably circuitous. But I will train it.

Shot video in a noisy bar the other night, and uploaded to YouTube via home wifi in moments. Fun, but not great video.

All in all, a significant upgrade from the Touch Pro I replaced.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:56 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I am enjoying it too.
Android is much more competent than WinMobile 6.1.

I love the screen size, and the virtual keyboard size. I was nervous about the keyboard, but think it will do just fine.

The camera works well enough, and the video too, both in decent light.

I DO use the phone a lot. It is the only business number I publicize.
So the short battery life is an issue. But the Touch Pro also suffered from short battery life, so I am somewhat acclimated to that, and to using a charger when I am in the car or at a desk. And Evo uses the same chargers as my Motorola 710H Bluetooth headset, so I have chargers to pick from, and bought a car charger.

Bluetooth doesn't drop out like it did with the TouchPro. I can plan to finish a conversation and not drop the headset connection.

Apps? My wife is so proud that I downloaded a 3 Stooges sound board. Nyuk nyuk nyuk.
There are others that are more practical, though.
I don't do much with GPS. The first time I tried it, the route was unbelievably circuitous. But I will train it.

Shot video in a noisy bar the other night, and uploaded to YouTube via home wifi in moments. Fun, but not great video.

All in all, a significant upgrade from the Touch Pro I replaced.
Thanks for your update Mike. I'm in the RDU area, so it is really nice to hear a local review. My Evo comes tomorrow, and I'm getting excited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones