Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:34 PM

8 posts, read 28,759 times

Advertisements

Boeing salaries in St. Louis are higher because of the Union. Boeing STL is a profitable business unit and workers are very satisfied with their salaries. All talk coming from Charleston is very low salaries. Responsible Unions are good. They keep the Company honest and they also do protect some dysfunctional employees. I have worked for both the Union and Company.

Boeing Charleston may get the Union back if they continue down this path. The salaries they’re offering are what I was paid in 1997 at Boeing St. Louis and Gas was .70 per gallon, its 3.19 now. Union wages keep the company employee wages/benefits at an equal pace. FYI, Charleston’s cost of living is 2% higher than STL.

Full Disclosure: I own Boeing shares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 09:57 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
I personally want nothing to do with a Union... I don't need to pay a middle man to talk to my boss. Especially one that may not follow my opinions on how things are done.

Union or not, SC is a right to work state.

If the pay isn't what you want then you don;t take the job.

PS Salary tables were just adjusted for 2011, and I believe raises start rolling in March...

I've gotten a bonus, and looking at a raise. My building jsut started construction a few weeks ago, the main building isn't even open yet, and my job doesn't really start until the end of the year. LOL Hell the entire program has not made $1. No 787s have been delivered.

Buddy of mine just got hired my same job for 787 in Everett, so they are hiring up there as well.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Te problem with mney pensio is that they are uder funded reallt;so that money isn;t there until the person retires and then if it by defined benefit can go away.Often the only money the person gets is their contribution plus interest earned. A matching 401K reallt depends on the person to manage it within the plan options.That mean the money is actauly theirs once deposited.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:47 AM

Mustangeater: You just got a bonus and a raise and you're still not making what i made as a rookie in 1997, that was $20.00 hr. They hire mechanics at boeing stl for $25.00hr now plus awesome benefits. I have worked Boeing Union and Company. Have You??? I'm 44 years old with 16 years aircraft maintenance, manufacturing and depot level repair experience. You on the other hand are right out of A&P school and happy to be employed making 40k a year, i would be too. I have a house, bills and kids and think $55,000 is a fair market value for me.

Last edited by BOEING-STL; 02-27-2011 at 01:07 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 05:21 AM

60 posts, read 164,112 times
Yea pay is a little low. Manufacturing engineers at Boeing Charleston are making about $24/hr entry-level. I expect that in union areas they make a bit more. But these days people are happy to have a job and those from non-union areas are very happy to not have to deal with a union.

The good thing about getting in on the ground floor in Charleston is that it gives a lot of opportunity for not only moving up, but for moving around (to other areas of the country as well as to other job positions -- especially with them paying for college education).

Old 02-27-2011, 05:38 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
My advise for STL is to stay where you are. You will not be happy in CHS.

You're already crying about wages and you don't even have a job here (to my knowledge). Besides...is it typical Boeing policy to pay top wages at a facility that isn't operational or even completed?

Another thing to keep in mind along with the lower wages is that the cost of living is higher in CHS and the average single family home is more than double the $$$ here than it is in STL.

I would suggest you stay put where you are...we have enough unhappy transplants here.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:22 AM

IF there are better jobs with better pay, I would consider them first. I mean it is what it is. You will also be more unhappy with the hiccups and growing pains everyone is experienceing as well.

I am the only one in my group out of A&P school, I am working with guys ranging form 10-35 years of experience on commercial aircraft. They are unhappy with the pay but at the same time they are here for the bigger picture like I am.

If you want a job similar to Flight Readiness tech on the 787 program in Everett

Aviation Maint Tech

Maintenance - Aviation Maint Tech & Insp Fld jobs in Everett at Boeing

As far as I know the first 12 weeks of training is identical, so much so they just took an instructor from charleston and moved him up to Everett to help train up there.

Not sure about the pay... but as a reminder they are looking at some "fresh" faces for these jobs, they have had alot of problems with people saying and doing things like its "always been done" and its different. Alot of BAC specs have been created and rewritten specifically for the 787

Last edited by MustangEater82; 02-27-2011 at 06:47 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 09:40 AM

I’m unemployed now. I worked overseas for 10 years and just returned to the USA in September. I have an interview next month at Charleston and just don’t understand how bad this economy has been and the salaries being offered. I loved working for Boeing before (6yrs) it’s a great company that cared for me and my family. I just don’t understand these Charleston salaries and would love to move there.

Last edited by BOEING-STL; 02-27-2011 at 10:03 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 01:11 PM

Part of it is... everyone is dieing to get in this program...

I have had like 7 people PM me about my specific job on this board alone. I have had maybe 10 people or so from when I was in school asking me how I got in at my job. On another message board I frequent, had 2 people trying to get me into my job.

Word on the street is its one of the more desired jobs in boeing, in everett on the legacy aircraft people don't get hired to be on the flightline unless they have 10-15 years with the company. I am not even going to get started how many A&Ps and non-A&Ps have been really interested in my job while talking with them in the plant and in training.

Supply and Demand....

Old 03-15-2011, 06:25 PM
aux

40 posts, read 100,435 times
Wages are low with Boeing and more than 75% of the people I interviewed with, once they found out the pay, turned down the offer. Will Boeing fill the slots, yep, mostly with those out of work auto industry folks with no aviation experience. Experienced people are passing it up but taking a free ride to CHS to see the operation. Just like with the airlines and pilot pay, low waqes equals low loyalty and once the economy gains momentum, Boeing will see quite a number of experienced new hires leave for better pay and benefits. And the non-Union stance may appeal to some now but wait until you actually are responsible for something at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area