Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:27 PM

246 posts, read 518,796 times

Advertisements

Proper chowder uses salt pork, not bacon....aaayup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 07:18 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Default grocery store question

Which are the best grocery markets in Summerville? Do the markets have baggers? Do they expect you to return the cart to the front of the store? Do the delis carry Boars Head meats? Do they have Express check-out lanes?

Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 AM

859 posts, read 1,362,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
Me too. I'm sure I could buy some clams, but then they would just sit in the pot laughing at me because I don't have a clue how to turn them into chowder.
Whole Foods makes a pretty decent NE clam chowder - it's up by the fish counter. Yes, it's pricey (doesn't have the nickname Whole Paycheck for nothing, lol), but it's a good chowder, nice and thick without being 'gummy'.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Which are the best grocery markets in Summerville? Do the markets have baggers? Do they expect you to return the cart to the front of the store? Do the delis carry Boars Head meats? Do they have Express check-out lanes?
Mr. K's Piggly Wiggly(2 of them) and Publix are about the best in town. They all have baggers, cart racks in the lots and both carry Boars Head meats. Publix has express lanes, but I don't know if both K's do...

Old 10-27-2011, 09:50 AM

288 posts, read 494,696 times
Quote:
I prefer to stick with Publix since they have a decent organic selection of products (also reminds me of Giant Eagle) and are very clean and very nice in general. They do carry Boars Head meats and cheeses along with a couple oter brands.

I haven't found a Publix in the area that has self check-outs but they do have the express/limited item number check-outs.

Not sure on the others, but Publix does have baggers and they will take your groceries to your car for you. I always do it myself, and half the time the guy looks at me like I'm from another planet when I decline his assistance...

Old 10-27-2011, 10:16 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caili View Post
Whole Foods makes a pretty decent NE clam chowder - it's up by the fish counter. Yes, it's pricey (doesn't have the nickname Whole Paycheck for nothing, lol), but it's a good chowder, nice and thick without being 'gummy'.
Thanks Calli, I'll be checking that out next time I pass by Whole Foods. Personally I can't stand the stuff, but if I don't find some soon the mister might get the idea in his head that I should cook some.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:38 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Chowda aside....I am an ex-Bostonian that prefers Harris Teeter over Publix but Publix is a close 2nd. I shopped Whole Foods several time but only for novelties and specific items. Overall they are way overpriced and not that special.

Now, the selection of MILF's shopping there is 2nd to none.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Thanks JRadV and Ole Tom Cat!

Those were really helpful answers.

They'll take your bags to the car? Wow! Are you expected to tip them?

Old 10-28-2011, 08:40 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
I don't know if you are suppose to tip them, I never use that service.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Thanks JRadV and Ole Tom Cat!

Those were really helpful answers.

They'll take your bags to the car? Wow! Are you expected to tip them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I don't know if you are suppose to tip them, I never use that service.
No, you don't and a lot of stores have specific policies against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area