Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:35 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Well - I've lived in other areas of the south-- it sums up Charleston but not all south..........
Well, I'm sure not all.... but all the small towns where my family lives thoughout GA, NC, VA, MS, SC, and AL it does. Maybe it's more of a small-town/small-city Southern thing.
(I wouldn't include Florida in this generalization.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 09:00 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,941,263 times
I worked in western KY last year, and encountered two things I had never come across before (even with family in Tenn)
Dry counties
A definite unwillingness to include anything about drinking in conversation.....even though everyone did
Everyone was still polite though

Old 03-26-2011, 09:04 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
I worked in western KY last year, and encountered two things I had never come across before (even with family in Tenn)
Dry counties
A definite unwillingness to include anything about drinking in conversation.....even though everyone did
I'll bet one of them was Berea?? I was there visiting a friend at Berea College back in my college days and we drove to the next county to get some beer. They are far and wide between, but dry counties do still exist, apparently!

Old 03-26-2011, 09:37 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,941,263 times
It was Caldwell county. It was about a twenty minute drive for refreshments (carried in a grocery bag of course)[in the trunk]

Old 03-26-2011, 02:52 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
Dry counties
It is actually kind of funny, in the County that Jack Daniels is made you can not buy it, other than at the Distillery......

There are a lot of Dry counties in Ar. also.....

Old 03-29-2011, 08:00 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
I don't mind being called Ma'm. I think it's sweet.

I love cheese grits ..... mmm, mmm, mmmm - but I'm on a diet right now and more than 2 tablespoons wouldn't be allowed

Thanks for the heads up about car horns, that's really good to know. Here in NY, people blast their horns at any little thing, then give you the finger and if they're in a particularly nasty mood, pass and cut close in front of you. Road rage is common, bimbos in huge SUV's on their cell phones and any livery drivers - fuggedaboudit.

Do you have a lot of bicycling clubs down there? You know, the Spandex people who ride 3 abreast in a pack of 50 and think they own the road?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
I don't mind being called Ma'm. I think it's sweet.

I love cheese grits ..... mmm, mmm, mmmm - but I'm on a diet right now and more than 2 tablespoons wouldn't be allowed

Thanks for the heads up about car horns, that's really good to know. Here in NY, people blast their horns at any little thing, then give you the finger and if they're in a particularly nasty mood, pass and cut close in front of you. Road rage is common, bimbos in huge SUV's on their cell phones and any livery drivers - fuggedaboudit.

Do you have a lot of bicycling clubs down there? You know, the Spandex people who ride 3 abreast in a pack of 50 and think they own the road?
Yes, and they are very rude almost to the point of being hateful....I have seen them be so ugly to the men who work with Park and Rec out at the Folly Pier, you just want to kick them in the shin.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:53 AM

93 posts, read 215,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Here in NY, people blast their horns at any little thing, then give you the finger and if they're in a particularly nasty mood
Horn honking, even giving the finger, is just a reflex in NYC. Often the recipient doesn't really pay any attention or think anything of it. Here, horn honking is considered an act of aggression. If you give the finger you'll probably get followed.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:28 PM

14 posts, read 25,537 times
well im visiting charleston in june and hope from the sounds of it i might fit right in , im from a small town in southern michian and theres the hospitality and everyone nice to each other here too

Old 04-08-2011, 12:49 PM

32 posts, read 57,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post

Southerners aren't interested in how the north did it....

The biggest thing I've noticed is the friendliness. Coming from Seattle, where we would just as soon not speak anyone at all, it is refreshing to have the cashier ask how your day is going, or hear about the bank tellers new grandson. I don't hear ma'am much, but I do almost have to fight to open a door. I hate that awkward wait while a man runs to the door but it's less awkward than the weird door trade off dance you have to do once they get to it after you've opened it.

And, I would like to apologize to all the native Charlestonians on here. I compare SC to WA ALL THE TIME! I do it and then realize after the fact the you all don't care how we did it back there. I can't help it though, it's night and day from where we came from.
So, if you hear an obnoxious woman talking about how much different it is from Wa here, I'm sorry, I can't help myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area