Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 8,479 times

Advertisements

We are coming down to the Mt Pleasant in the next week or so to look ito relocating there. Can anyone please give us some suggestions as to where to go to get a real feel of life in Mt Pleasant area, including kid friendly and adult friendly spots? Also, are there any spots left where you can still get a decent size piece of land to build on?

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me. We have been checking out the area via internet for a long time and are excited to finally be making the trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,028,489 times
Darrell Creek, Dunes West, Rivertowne, Park West, and others all have vacant land for sale still, with many in the above neighborhoods with over a half-acre or more. It'll depend on price and level of construction (covenants and restrictions as well as purchase price of some of the lots will mandate going pretty large with the new build at times), but there are certainly offerings out there.

Walk the Pitt St. Pier, go tour Boone Hall Plantation, hit the Mt. P. Memorial Waterfront Park, go on some kayak tours, play golf, or hit the beach on IOP or Sullivan's. You'll find plenty to do.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:53 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,684,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Darrell Creek, Dunes West, Rivertowne, Park West, and others all have vacant land for sale still, with many in the above neighborhoods with over a half-acre or more. It'll depend on price and level of construction (covenants and restrictions as well as purchase price of some of the lots will mandate going pretty large with the new build at times), but there are certainly offerings out there.

Walk the Pitt St. Pier, go tour Boone Hall Plantation, hit the Mt. P. Memorial Waterfront Park, go on some kayak tours, play golf, or hit the beach on IOP or Sullivan's. You'll find plenty to do.
Allow me to amplify what DJS touched on. Many of the neighberhoods in MTP are controlled by covenants and as such one often cannot do as they wish. Such as paint a home a specific color without Home Owners Association (HOA), Board Of Directors (BOD) approval, build a "garden shed", etc.

Personally my experience says that hard/tight covenants help maintain and increase propery/homes values in the neighberhoods, but some do "chafe" under them, so be aware and pay attention.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:15 AM

859 posts, read 1,365,117 times
For both the kids and adults, must go to Palmetto Islands County Park. Absolutely beautiful park, with trails, paddle boats, splash island for the kids.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:12 PM

Thanks so much, sounds like we'll be enjoying a nice vacation in addition to doing our homework on the area!

With respect to the covenants of the different neighborhoods... So far I Rivertowne and Park West are of interest to us. Are those particularly strict neighborhoods? We always keep our property well manicured, but we do have a particular home plan in mind and wonder if we will have opposition to it.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:39 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,781,246 times
I don't think you will find much differencee between the building restrictions in Rivetowne CC and Park West. I generally suggest to clients considering building that they take a look at the current architectural styles in a neighborhood and more than likely the architectural review board will approve a similar style building, although maybe with some "tweaking."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolelee View Post
Thanks so much, sounds like we'll be enjoying a nice vacation in addition to doing our homework on the area!

With respect to the covenants of the different neighborhoods... So far I Rivertowne and Park West are of interest to us. Are those particularly strict neighborhoods? We always keep our property well manicured, but we do have a particular home plan in mind and wonder if we will have opposition to it.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:39 AM

397 posts, read 1,072,964 times
Grassy Creek in Belle Hall also has some great lots to build on, marsh views, it's close to hwy 526, very accessible to all things.....lots are around .35 acres +. I also believe in the near future Carolina Park is going to be back in business for sales/building, and that's right next to the high school -

Old 07-29-2011, 01:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,684,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresejenkins View Post
Grassy Creek in Belle Hall also has some great lots to build on, marsh views, it's close to hwy 526, very accessible to all things.....lots are around .35 acres +. I also believe in the near future Carolina Park is going to be back in business for sales/building, and that's right next to the high school -
Carolina Park (The Marino Tract) has been a hodge podge, poorly financed, zoning fiasco, legal nightmare, etc. from the get go.

My advice would be to avoid it like the plague for at least 5-10 years until things settle.

Pioneers are often the ones with arrows in their back.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:43 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,437,084 times
Your going to have to get your floor plan approved by the HOA but as long as it fits in the subsection/neighborhood it should be fine. There are some great deals in Park West Right now for land. It is tough to get a construction loan right now without a 25% down payment.

I have lived in Park West for 7 years and love it here. I agree about waiting on Carolina Park for a while.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:39 PM

Thank you. Drove around Park West, Rivertowne, Dunes West, etc Will be going by Belle Hall, etc next. Down payment shouldn't be a problem with sale of home up north.

It is hard to know where to start with our research. So far, we really like the area, but that doesn't tell us what it will be like to build a life for our family here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area