Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:08 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
like the three armed roberies of the grocery stores that has happened recently.....
That's funny..... It's been on pretty much every news broadcast I've seen lately. What news are you guys watching?

Not real sure why you all felt the need to even bring Mount Pleasant into the conversation. She specifically asked about areas around the base. Just one more example of where the real "snobbery" is.

Last edited by roxanneself; 07-28-2011 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
That's funny..... It's been on pretty much every news broadcast I've seen lately. What news are you guys watching?

Not real sure why you all felt the need to even bring Mount Pleasant into the conversation. She specifically asked about areas around the base. Just one more example of where the real "snobbery" is.
Lately after the third one and everyone is getting scared to go to the grocery store at night....

Before this one it wasn't covered on any of the local news shows...

Old 07-28-2011, 12:09 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
The first was robbed just last Friday and I've been seeing it on the news all week...and I don't even watch the local news (I have seen it just by flipping channels).

There is crime everywhere. It is shameful to celebrate crime just to make your own neighborhood look more appealing (that is what it seems like even if it isn't the case).

Old 07-28-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
There is quite a bit of crime that goes on in MtP that you dont see in the news for some reason.
Like what, Rick. Be our roving reporter and fill us in. Thanks in advance.

You're absolutely correct if you mean all the petty crime that isn't even newsworthy in North Charleston. The vast majority of crime doesn't get reported, but that's the same in every town.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
The first was robbed just last Friday and I've been seeing it on the news all week...and I don't even watch the local news (I have seen it just by flipping channels).

There is crime everywhere. It is shameful to celebrate crime just to make your own neighborhood look more appealing (that is what it seems like even if it isn't the case).
WRONG....

The Harris Teeter store on Highway 17 was robbed June 26 and the Food Lion on Longpoint Road was robbed June 24.

Uzi-armed trio robs Mt. Pleasant grocery store - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Old 07-28-2011, 01:08 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,015 times
Quote:
Lately after the third one and everyone is getting scared to go to the grocery store at night....

Before this one it wasn't covered on any of the local news shows...
Quote:
WRONG....

The Harris Teeter store on Highway 17 was robbed June 26 and the Food Lion on Longpoint Road was robbed June 24.

Uzi-armed trio robs Mt. Pleasant grocery store - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports
Tom's right about these robberies. I knew about them because we watched a newscast about them back in June right after the second one happened. Crime occurs everywhere, and no one on this board ever said that MP was immune. The claim that the news is being hidden is silly though. Just because you guys didn't see a report doesn't mean there wasn't, one. My kids haven't been allowed to walk to the grocery store for the last several weeks as a direct result of the reports on these robberies that my family watched on the news. We certainly didn't hallucinate the report in a precognitive fugue.

To the OP. My apologies... These threads tend to degenerate into a Summerville vs. mount Pleasant debate at the drop of a hat. I have no advice about the area you are inquiring about. Maybe the people who live in that area will take a moment out of their MP bashing to help you out.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:40 PM

I read as July.

THANKS.

Have been hearing on the news all week...but like I said...I don't watch the local news (I think they suck).

Old 07-31-2011, 10:25 AM

217 posts, read 573,578 times
Welcome to CAFB. If your family can afford it, I'd suggest Mt Pleasant. I live there and like it the best out of any Charleston metro area town. I do like Summerville a good bit, but I've found that we have a bit more to do out here, and I rarely have to get on traffic ridden I-26. I live 15 minutes from the beaches, 20 minutes from where I work downtown, and 20 minutes from the Navy base. We've got grocery stores, pharmacies, and restaurants galore, as well as nice parks and good schools. My boyfriend, who lives in Goose Creek, much prefers Mt Pleasant. Summerville is actually farther away from CAFB than Mt Pleasant, but not by much. Even though I personally don't mind North Charleston, Hanahan, or Goose Creek, I wouldn't suggest living there. If you're into atmosphere, Mt Pleasant is newer and still looks clean, manicured and pretty.

Either way, I think you'd be happy in either place.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:40 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Here is the crime in Mt. Pleasant

http://spotcrime.com/#mt.%20pleasant...uth%20carolina

And Summerville

http://spotcrime.com/#summerville%2C%20south%20carolina

If you are going to buy, I think you'll probably sell quicker in Mt. Pleasant.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Here is the crime in Mt. Pleasant

http://spotcrime.com/#mt.%20pleasant...uth%20carolina

And Summerville

http://spotcrime.com/#summerville%2C%20south%20carolina

If you are going to buy, I think you'll probably sell quicker in Mt. Pleasant.
that is a neat website...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area