Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 5,422 times

Advertisements

Hello

We recieved orders to the Air Force Base at Charleston and I am ion despreate need of advice as I know nothing about the areas to live in along with schools.

Can any one tell me where in Goose Creek and Summerville to look for housing/aprtments and abou the schools?

Also what about the areas to avoid, what that be considered?
Hanahan
Ladson
N Charleston

I have reviewed several forms and saw this list,would this be considered great areas to raise a family? Or bad areas?

North Villiage Apts, Dor-Towne
Brackenbrook, Wedgewood
Amberwood, St. James
Regency Square, Bradford
Dorsey, Evanston
Brentwood, Pine Ridge

Charlestown Villiage
Willow Ridge
PepperTree
Donaree Vililage
Collins Park
Dorchester Gardens
Dorchester Villiage
Oakridge

The Preserve
The Meadows
Taylor Plantation
Summer's Bend
Mill Creek
McKewn
Parkwood
Indigo Palms
River Chase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 02:22 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
While there are a few good areas of N. Charleston my recommendation would be to stay away from there most of the schools are in CCSD and not the good ones......

Look at Summerville, Vista Sands and Heritage also look at the Weather's appartments...

Old 07-27-2011, 05:26 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Staying away from North Charleston and looking in the Summeville area is sound advice.

If one of the "we" is a Colonel or above, and/or rent of say $1,500.00 per month is acceptable then there might be some other more interesting areas to look into. If not, then the Summerville area will do quite nicely.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:34 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,669 times
There is plenty of good places to live in N.Chas. I have lived there for over 30 years with no problems at all! NONE!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:53 PM

267 posts, read 1,019,779 times
Stay out of Charleston County as it will be tougher for a transient to sell their home. Pick a Dorchester II neighborhood. They are usually pretty good.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:51 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
There is plenty of good places to live in N.Chas. I have lived there for over 30 years with no problems at all! NONE!
I agree.
I've been living in North Charleston for 10 years and I have ABSOLUTELY no complaints.

My sons attend one of the best school districts (Dorchester District II) in the state and I have never had ANY issue with some of the stuff that goes on.

The areas of North Charleston to avoid are in the more 'industrial' areas which are as much in Charleston proper as they are in North Charleston.

If you have money to use to start your fireplace .. go to Mt Pleasant .. oh by the way ... avoid the 'hood' and 'industrial' areas in Mt Pleasant too ... the snobby crowd always seems to forget to tell people that there are shady areas of Mt Pleasant as well.

If you want good to great housing in a TERRIFIC school district, don't be swayed by the antiquated opinions of North Charleston.

There are PLENTY of great places to live in North Charleston with great schools.

If you have any questions about living in North Charleston shoot me a private message or just ask here in the thread. And remember ... most of the people who complain about North Charleston are living under the misquided assumption that ALL of North Charleston is a bad place ... which plain and simply is not true at all.

****By the way ... several of the areas to live in that you have listed are NORTH CHARLESTON AREA neighborhoods .. lol. One of them is MY neighborhood.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:58 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
If you have money to use to start your fireplace .. go to Mt Pleasant .. oh by the way ... avoid the 'hood' and 'industrial' areas in Mt Pleasant too ... the snobby crowd always seems to forget to tell people that there are shady areas of Mt Pleasant as well.
It never fails...lol

Old 07-28-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote,,,,,,"the snobby crowd always seems to forget to tell people that there are shady areas of Mt Pleasant as well".

Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha,,,That was funny ,,but true.
There is quite a bit of crime that goes on in MtP that you dont see in the news for some reason.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:22 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
like the three armed roberies of the grocery stores that has happened recently.....

Old 07-28-2011, 08:55 AM

Yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area