Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 01:21 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,768,733 times

Advertisements

I live on Johns Island and we don't have much to choose from in the way of cable, so I've had the Comcast bundle package (phone, internet, and TV) for at least 5 or 6 years now. I just pay for the basic cable package - which included around 85 channels altogether and is more than enough for me. Out of the wild blue, as of Friday, I now am only getting 16 channels! My favorite ones are all gone. Did anyone else with Comcast have this happen? None else I know around here has Comcast so they're no help. I am going into their office to talk to them Monday after school to find out what happened, since I have not indicated that I wanted a change in my plan. I certainly am not going to pay the same (high) monthly fee with fewer than 1/2 of the channels I was getting before.

I am wondering if something was sent in the mail to explain this and I either didn't get it or overlooked it somehow??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:13 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,023,060 times
Do you have a digital box. I know Comcast, as well as may other companies were going purely digital on their signal sometime in February/March. They sent out numerous mailers with regard to stating that if you didn't have a digital box (which they would provide for no extra cost to current subscribers), that you would lose the digital channels. It sounds like that might be what happened. Just go pick up a digital box from their office, or perhaps yours simply died.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Do you have a digital box. I know Comcast, as well as may other companies were going purely digital on their signal sometime in February/March. They sent out numerous mailers with regard to stating that if you didn't have a digital box (which they would provide for no extra cost to current subscribers), that you would lose the digital channels. It sounds like that might be what happened. Just go pick up a digital box from their office, or perhaps yours simply died.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I didn't get to the office today because my eye appt. ran over and being a teacher, it's hard to get to a phone (much less have a conversation over 2 minutes long) during the day. I pay my Comcast bill online, so don't usually open the statements, and the info. about going digital was probably in a statement. I'll bet that's it!

Now, I'll have to find out how to hook up the digital box.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you for the response and for an easy "fix" to my dilemma.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:56 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,023,060 times
Anytime, hope that was the problem. Have a great week!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:28 AM

602 posts, read 1,517,283 times
SCBeaches--I, too, got the *surprise gift* from Comcast. My statements come electronically and I can't find a notice of needing the digital converter any where! You'd think that they would have snail mailed every customer just to be sure they knew. There are so many of us that are part-time residents (bet some of my neighbors are going to get a surprise on their next visit!).

Thankfully, my neighbors had received the info and are willing to pick up my converters for me.

BTW~ Has the bundled price gone up? My 2-tier cable package (basic plus the next tier) is now $71/month. I'm very tempted to just get the basic 10-12 channels. Might have a rebellion from the family. But, heck, they watch so much on Hulu and other websites that no one watches much live tv anymore.

Last edited by OurGreatEscape; 02-28-2012 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: added

Old 02-28-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGreatEscape View Post
SCBeaches--I, too, got the *surprise gift* from Comcast. My statements come electronically and I can't find a notice of needing the digital converter any where! You'd think that they would have snail mailed every customer just to be sure they knew. There are so many of us that are part-time residents (bet some of my neighbors are going to get a surprise on their next visit!).

Thankfully, my neighbors had received the info and are willing to pick up my converters for me.

BTW~ Has the bundled price gone up? My 2-tier cable package (basic plus the next tier) is now $71/month. I'm very tempted to just get the basic 10-12 channels. Might have a rebellion from the family. But, heck, they watch so much on Hulu and other websites that no one watches much live tv anymore.
No, my monthly bill hasn't gone up. And yes, that was the problem all along. Whew! You have to go pick up a digital box for each TV you have in your house. My dad went to the office and picked up 4 of the boxes for me today. They are free, but installation can be frustrating if your TV and/or DVD player are hard to pull out so you can get to the back of them. You hook all of them up, THEN call Comcast to activate them. After taking 40 minutes to hook up one of them I decided to call it quits for the day. After being at school for 10 hours today, the last thing I wanted to do was fight with cables, connections, and DUST behind the TV! LOL (much of that 40 minutes was figuring out the directions and dusting my entire entertainment center in my living room....had no idea that much dust had accumulated behind the TV and DVD player!). Tomorrow I shall conquer the other 3 boxes, then call for activiation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area