Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:09 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
The spider isn't showing its belly in the picture, so I can't tell if there is an hourglass, and I'm not getting real close to look. I will check it out again tonight. The web looks like a widow's web and the legs look like widow legs to me.
I don't know anything about the web but I do know their legs are very similar to a very common spider that is local. Seems to me it should be more black to be a black widow...but again, hard to tell. Strange cause it says the hourglass is on the "belly" but unless spiders are "upside down", the black widow I had at my house, the hourglass was on. It's back (and I had it confirmed by a professional).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
I don't know anything about the web but I do know their legs are very similar to a very common spider that is local. Seems to me it should be more black to be a black widow...but again, hard to tell. Strange cause it says the hourglass is on the "belly" but unless spiders are "upside down", the black widow I had at my house, the hourglass was on. It's back (and I had it confirmed by a professional).
Could yours have been a northern black widow? Those have an hourglass on the belly and also have red on their backs.

I just checked and my spider isn't in the web right now. I was shining a flashlight on it when I took the picture. There is a black widow that lives in the drainage hole up the street from me. I have seen its hourglass. It has legs like my doorway spider. I will have to get a picture of it one night. It is kind of cool.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:07 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Doesn't look like it to me. Either way,
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.
You are just full of surprises Vos rabidus Latine

Old 06-27-2012, 12:50 AM

870 posts, read 1,678,830 times
Quote:
Could yours have been a northern black widow? Those have an hourglass on the belly and also have red on their backs.

I just checked and my spider isn't in the web right now. I was shining a flashlight on it when I took the picture. There is a black widow that lives in the drainage hole up the street from me. I have seen its hourglass. It has legs like my doorway spider. I will have to get a picture of it one night. It is kind of cool.
Yes, it's seems to be the northern. Didn't know that. Hoping they are less poisonous?

Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 AM

68 posts, read 111,013 times
Do you guys have your homes sprayed quarterly for bugs? Mabe that would keep spiders away

Old 06-27-2012, 08:36 AM

I have a monthly spray inside and I'm pretty sure the outside is sprayed once a month, but I think it is around the property and not individual yards.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 AM

373 posts, read 589,590 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that this is a black widow that has set up a home right outside my door on the ceiling of my little overhang porch.
Judging by the shape of that spider, that light spot (they do vary ya know - not always orange) and that web construction/shape: 90% chance that is a widow. Touch the web. If it feels like steel wire, it definitely is a widow. That's the method I use. Be careful though...they can move very fast.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:27 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I have outside done quarterl and inside done as required...if I see stuff --- so far only once in three years and onl some rooms.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedCabbage View Post
Judging by the shape of that spider, that light spot (they do vary ya know - not always orange) and that web construction/shape: 90% chance that is a widow. Touch the web. If it feels like steel wire, it definitely is a widow. That's the method I use. Be careful though...they can move very fast.
I ended up spraying it with home defense and it was gone after that. This summer I kept having the widows on my patio set at night.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:12 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,903 times
Okay so mrs soulsea and I just arrived in MP this evening, are house hunting for the next three days ... now this thread caught my eye.

If we decide to buy here, how often do I have to have our property nuked with poisonous chemicals so as to scorch the earth in order to keep out all the critters that are fixin' to kill me and my family?

Agent orange, dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane, mini thermonuclear stink bombs, or what else will keep snakes, spiders, mosquitoes, noseeums, and tupperware carrying neighbors away from my property?

Thanxbye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area