Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:14 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,237 times

Advertisements

No matter where you live here you won't find the anti-Republican vibe you get in San Francisco. The hippy movement never left there, they just became wealthy hippies. I have seen a remarkable number of Obama stickers and met a lot of liberals in MP, but to be fair I also have not very few native South Carolinians. Also, I tend to gravitate towards people involved in animal rescue and they tend to be more liberal by nature.
I feel pretty comfortable wherever I go around here but I am a fiscal conservative who is more liberal when it comes to other issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 12:25 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
No matter where you live here you won't find the anti-Republican vibe you get in San Francisco. The hippy movement never left there, they just became wealthy hippies. I have seen a remarkable number of Obama stickers and met a lot of liberals in MP, but to be fair I also have not very few native South Carolinians. Also, I tend to gravitate towards people involved in animal rescue and they tend to be more liberal by nature.
I feel pretty comfortable wherever I go around here but I am a fiscal conservative who is more liberal when it comes to other issues.
I could second this. I think, in general, no one round these parts likes to hear people go on and on about their political views. What's that saying? Never mention politics, religion, or money in polite company? I've stuck to that and it's worked. I think we're a lot more laid back here in Charleston but if the OP is specifically looking for conservatives, they will be comfortable. Even our 'liberals' are pretty conservative. Oh and I voted for Newt too.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:35 PM

20 posts, read 23,855 times
To Ole Tom Cat,
Thanks for the survey, I took it and scored conservative. It's funny you should say that the paper should have kept me on since so many were reading my column because that's what my aunt said. However, in SF area people would much rather lose biz than be exposed to any conservative opinions. My husband and I were at a local restaurant couple weeks ago and the owner came to our table to give us a menu of upcoming winemakers dinner and then launched into why Obama is right and we should all pay more taxes. I got mad and spoke up against Obama and the owner told us to get out and not return, as if we would ever want to. I swear it's getting like Germany in the 30's here, everyone in lockstep marching to the same progressive tune. We just need to find somewhere else, we will be much happier if we do.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:37 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappedincalifornia View Post
To Ole Tom Cat,
Thanks for the survey, I took it and scored conservative. It's funny you should say that the paper should have kept me on since so many were reading my column because that's what my aunt said. However, in SF area people would much rather lose biz than be exposed to any conservative opinions. My husband and I were at a local restaurant couple weeks ago and the owner came to our table to give us a menu of upcoming winemakers dinner and then launched into why Obama is right and we should all pay more taxes. I got mad and spoke up against Obama and the owner told us to get out and not return, as if we would ever want to. I swear it's getting like Germany in the 30's here, everyone in lockstep marching to the same progressive tune. We just need to find somewhere else, we will be much happier if we do.
No, you would never find that happening in Charleston.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:38 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
Quote:
To Ole Tom Cat,
That's bizarre

Old 05-10-2012, 12:52 PM

20 posts, read 23,855 times
Well, I have found out this week that the restaurant owner is very involved w/ Dem Party and the Obama re-election campaign, but do we have to hear it over dinner?
My husband and I are also involved in rescue, we have 2 rescue kitties and 2 rescue pit bulls, both dogs came to us at 8 was of age. The female was abandoned at 4 weeks and the male was rescued at birth from Oakland dog fighting ring. We are so lucky to have them.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:55 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
...Is there some sort of competition these days with who is the most conservative? I swear I hear the word 'conservative' more than I hear even the word 'I' anymore....I think people are starting to make sentences that revolve around the word conservative.

Does anyone even know what the word conservative means anymore? Why is everyone wanting to be conservative? I agree that being liberal too much is bad, but so is too much conservatism. What ever happened to people thinking moderatly?

Old 05-10-2012, 01:10 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
In my area I saw loads of signs while the primary was going on (I went for RP though, and am more a 'I'll do my thing, feel free to do your thing' type libertarian ). On my way home I see maybe, maybe one 0 sticker on someone's car.

Anyway what I'm getting at is, your mileage may vary depending on what neighborhood or part of town you're in.

Quote:
To Ole Tom Cat,
I know the type... I lived near the core of downtown Seattle before moving here. I kept my views very, VERY quiet. Something I wouldn't dare speak of.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:20 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Trapped, I live in the upstate area of South Carolina and have a wonderful next door neighbor from California. They still have relatives in California and Portland. After they moved in her parents relocated here too from California.

When they moved in they were pure .... way way on the left liberals ... Over a period of time, I now think they are more conservative than me. LOL

Old 05-10-2012, 01:36 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
You are probably a Libertarian like me...

Take that test I posted....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area