Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,411 times

Advertisements

They are both very different but attractive for different reasons.
My budget is 650k max. No kids (and no future kids) I have dogs and am looking for newer homes (5 years or younger). 2500 sq ft and up.

There are homes in The Summit, summerville, the I love... they're newer, larger lots size, HOA is what I would consider normal. No amenities but that's not really my style... drawback is I'm worried about spending 500k plus in summerville and potentially buying at the height of the market and losing.

There are some brand new john wieland homes in dunes west in my budget, love them, however lot size is much smaller and the POA rules and architectural rules on the fences honestly gave me a headache (at property line or 7.5 ft from property line, 4 ft privacy only, screened by plants, painted or sealed, etc). But I do feel like it's a "safer" buy... i could absolutely be wrong though.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I currently live in summerville and have about a 45 minute commute so traffic doesn't really bother me.

What I am mostly wanting is a community that my pups and I can feel safe but not bothered. Bigger newer home but somewhere I wouldn't lose if I needed to resell, especially considering this seems to be peak prices

Last edited by pups12843; 08-03-2019 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 02:06 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
I’ve lived in both.
I lived in Summerville during the housing crash. Prices in both Mt Pleasant and Summerville collapsed. Mt pleasant rebounded much quicker than Summerville and is now one of the most expensive places in the low country. Summerville is still a pretty good deal, but your home value may not appreciate as quickly.

Crime in general is lower in Mt Pleasant.

Mount Pleasant is exclusively in Charleston County which makes things more efficient as the city isn’t dealing with multiple jurisdictions. The city of Summerville tends to forget they also have some parts in Berkeley County.

Property taxes tend to run cheaper in Mt Pleasant, but sales taxes and utilities tend to be cheaper in Summerville.

The schools in general seem to be better in Mt Pleasant than Summerville.

The proximity to the ocean tends to make the weather a bit more palatable in Mt Pleasant a few weeks a year longer than in Summerville. Summerville tends to run much hotter temperatures in late spring early fall.

Depending on your commute, I highly recommend not commuting against the sun. Having the sun at your back is far more comfortable.

Beaches and downtown are closer to Mount Pleasant. Not everybody needs to be at the beach and downtown everyday so the additional bang for the buck in Summerville may be worth it depending on priorities.

Mount Pleasant outlawed plastic bags and straws. Summerville still got love for one time use plastic.

A $650k house in Mt Pleasant is average. In Summerville it’s a much bigger deal.

Thanks to Mount Pleasant’s high impact fees, you’re currently more apt to see newer restaurants and shopping in Summerville.

Summerville quickly approves new businesses and housing but worried about it’s negative impacts later. Mount Pleasant tends to do the opposite. They both have their plus and minuses.

Flood zones and hurricanes tend to a bigger concern in Mt Pleasant.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:29 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,010 times
Very accurate assessment by Ziggy.

The one thing I would add is that traffic getting in/out and around Summerville is horrendous.

Puppers are going to be happy either place, more so in MP if they like beach frolicking.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:31 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
For future price stability, I think both would be ok though Mt Pleasant is always likely to be stronger in that price range due to proximity to the beaches. Depending on where your commute is to, you might consider James Island as well. Any community close to Downtown Charleston and the beaches and with highly rated schools will hold up better than those that don't fit that bill. That said, Summerville is closer to the incoming industry which should help keep prices stable there (though maybe in a lower price range).

Of course other factors impacting individual houses will be important too... specific neighborhoods, flood zones, etc will come into play for future values.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:24 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
I always kidded that dentists and doctors live in MTP. Their assistants lived in Summerville.

Sitting on MTP looking down on West Ashley.

Know why it is spelled I'On? Because pretentious was to difficult to spell.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:04 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Ziggy nailed it.

Don't dismiss the commute issues.

We originally started looking in the Charleston area in 2007. We thought Summerville would be for us...husband would work downtown.

He got an apt. there as we transitioned our move. Within a month he was cursing the decision. He had an apt. that was literally right off of 26 so he didn't even have to do the worst commute across Summerville.

But we are at a different place in our life. Husband has commuted for years and wasn't into spending all that time in the car.

We ended up in Mt. Pleasant. Smaller house for sure, but easy access to beach, downtown, shopping, etc.

And schools -- it is hard not to choose Mt. Pleasant schools.
Other areas the schools are fine...but Mt. Pleasant schools are some of the best.

Be careful though -- you move too far out of Mt. Pleasant proper and you may pay Mt. Pleasant prices to still get into a commute situation that is as frustrating as Summerville.

Highway 41 is slated for improvement but how long will that take?

Old 08-07-2019, 06:22 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pups12843 View Post
They are both very different but attractive for different reasons.
My budget is 650k max. No kids (and no future kids) I have dogs and am looking for newer homes (5 years or younger). 2500 sq ft and up.

There are homes in The Summit, summerville, the I love... they're newer, larger lots size, HOA is what I would consider normal. No amenities but that's not really my style... drawback is I'm worried about spending 500k plus in summerville and potentially buying at the height of the market and losing.

There are some brand new john wieland homes in dunes west in my budget, love them, however lot size is much smaller and the POA rules and architectural rules on the fences honestly gave me a headache (at property line or 7.5 ft from property line, 4 ft privacy only, screened by plants, painted or sealed, etc). But I do feel like it's a "safer" buy... i could absolutely be wrong though.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I currently live in summerville and have about a 45 minute commute so traffic doesn't really bother me.

What I am mostly wanting is a community that my pups and I can feel safe but not bothered. Bigger newer home but somewhere I wouldn't lose if I needed to resell, especially considering this seems to be peak prices
You're in luck, at that price range you have options that include larger yards.

There's currently 109 properties in Mt Pleasant, S'ville, and West Ashley with over .3 acres and from 500k to 680k

West Ashley: Ashley Harbor, McLaura Hall, Hunt Club, and if anything ever comes up in Hickory Farms that's a great neighborhood.

Mt Pleasant: Darrell Creek, Dunes West, Rivertowne, Alston Point, Park West, Brickyard Plantation, Wakendaw Lakes, Snee Farm, Seaside Farms, Coosaw Creek will all have homes you might like

Summerville (and surrounding towns) Mateeba Estates, Downtown Historic S'vill, Pine Forest C.C., The Ponds, Walnut Farms, Guliford Gates, Summer's Corner and The Club at Legend Oaks would probably work too. Also West Lake at Cane Bay is full of nice features but hard to spend over 500k in there.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:03 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Another local MTP joke:

The first thing one moves into Snee Farm is a dumpster.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:08 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Another local MTP joke:

The first thing one moves into Snee Farm is a dumpster.
It's one of the older neighborhoods and folks moving in a certainly updating the homes from the 1980's to current. Happens in every older community.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:05 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
It's one of the older neighborhoods and folks moving in a certainly updating the homes from the 1980's to current. Happens in every older community.
John's been telling those two same jokes for at least 5 years now. Let him have his fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area