Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:09 AM

68 posts, read 111,000 times

Advertisements

Are you a northerner living in Mt Pleasent? Can you tell me your likes and dislikes of living there,cost of living,shopping areas ect Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 09:29 AM

178 posts, read 329,412 times
You'd get alot more responses if you post in the Charleston section. There are already many threads there about Mt. Pleasant, try searching them.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,949 times
I am a northerner living in Mount Pleasant. My likes are people are a lot nicer than up north, drivers are much better and more courteous, I am 10 minutes from the beach, I love sweet potatoes and there is sweet potato everything around here, lower gas prices, no snow, I'm not running the heat September through May, a/c bills are not nearly as high as heating bills in the north, every convenience you could ever want is in Mount Pleasant, Shem Creek, waterfront park, Town Centre, and it is always sunny here (takes some getting used to).

My dislikes are high dairy prices and the flooding that occurs every now and then. I usually run into the flooding in Charleston.

For the most part the cost of living is cheaper than up north, but depending on where you are moving from, it might not be a heck of a lot cheaper.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,673 times
Moved from Boston (went by way of NC for 9 months first but ended up here a couple of weeks ago). Lived everywhere in New England imaginable. Love it here! First, of course, is the weather. Granted, it's been extra beautiful with lighter humidity that normal..(so I hear) but it will be here soon enough. I'd take it over the snow, cold, dark days..anytime! The people are so incredibly nice and laid back (no, not lazy laid back, but laid back to where they don't honk their horns, will let you in line in front of them in the grocery store if you've got your arms full of kids, will always say hi to you even if you've never seen them before)! I love the city of Charleston. It reminds me ALOT of Boston. It's got culture, charm, great shopping and amazing restaurants! Mt. Pleasant is a hop skip and jump (you can even walk) to Charleston and has all of the same. There is so much for kids too. I love a college town/city and all that it offers..Charleston offers that. It's not cheap but a lot less than what we are used to in New England (typical home where we lived was $650,000..you can get that same house here for $500,000 or less. All depends exactly where. Insurance costs are more but Proprty taxes a lot less. Our property taxes at home (we still own our house there) were $9,000 while here they would be about $2500-$3,000 here. Gas is so much cheaper here too! One of the most inexpensive gas prices in the country!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
The people are so incredibly nice and laid back (no, not lazy laid back, but laid back to where they don't honk their horns, will let you in line in front of them in the grocery store if you've got your arms full of kids, will always say hi to you even if you've never seen them before)!
Yes! People always say hi!!! I guess since I have been here over a year it is all normal to me now. That was one of the first things I noticed when I moved here. Another thing is that if you are a woman and there is a male nearby, you will never open a door. I have even had young men, probably early 20s, run to the door to open it for me. Men also let women get on and off elevators first. When I go visit up north now, I really see how rude people are and how the men are completely different up there.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 AM

870 posts, read 1,678,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
Yes! People always say hi!!! I guess since I have been here over a year it is all normal to me now. That was one of the first things I noticed when I moved here. Another thing is that if you are a woman and there is a male nearby, you will never open a door. I have even had young men, probably early 20s, run to the door to open it for me. Men also let women get on and off elevators first. When I go visit up north now, I really see how rude people are and how the men are completely different up there.
It's so true, isn't it? It's incredible to me the behavior of children even! "Yes, ma'am" from 8 year olds! My children are polite but they've got some catchin' up to do!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:29 AM

121 posts, read 199,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
Is it really rude if a man doesn't hold the door open for you? I mean it's nice if he does, don't get me wrong, but is he really a rude person if he doesn't?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:34 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogolfer View Post
is it really rude if a man doesn't hold the door open for you? I mean it's nice if he does, don't get me wrong, but is he really a rude person if he doesn't?
yes

Old 06-26-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoGolfer View Post
Is it really rude if a man doesn't hold the door open for you? I mean it's nice if he does, don't get me wrong, but is he really a rude person if he doesn't?
I think you are not reading my post correctly. I said "When I go visit up north now, I really see how rude people are ," I did not say that men are rude for not opening a door.

Based on my experience of living in the north and south, most southern men are more respectful than most northern men. Don't even try to say this is not true, because it is.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoGolfer View Post
P.S. I hold the door open for people too - men, women and children. On what planet is it not rude to let a door slam in someone's face?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area