Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 04:13 PM

6 posts, read 34,618 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move and would like to make sure that the demographics are suitable. I am 42 and single and I am a DC native. Is it difficult to meet new people; both guys and girls? I dont have a pet but I probably would get a dog; is the area pet friendly? Lastly are any of the areas I could live pedestrian friendly? I would love to be able to walk everywhere. I am looking to rent at first and my max is 1500 a month for a 1BR...is this doable? I would like ideally to be on or near the water...is this possible?
OK I hope I hear back from anyone
Chandler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 07:29 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Very dog friendly, lots to do, to live as a Ped, you will need to be close to where you work and play....

Old 06-29-2012, 08:58 AM

Default Work and play

So where would be a great place to live that is close to everything? Thank you so much for replying

Old 06-29-2012, 09:15 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,626 times
I'd suggest Daniel Island, or the perhaps areas like Seaside Farms/Long Grove in Mount Pleasant (which puts you 2 miles to the ocean). Both of the above areas would allow you complete walkability to neighborhood amenities, shopping, restaurants. Probably even more so with the Mount Pleasant locations. All of the above have rentals available for under $1500, and usually much larger than 1 bedrooms.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:31 AM

Thank you for that reply too! Ideally I want to be closer than 2 miles to the water. But I also would require a place where I can walk out my door and be in an area where I could walk across the street to retail. I think I have been spoiled by the area I currently live. Does anything like that exist there and would my peers live there or would 20 somethings live there? Sorry for all the questions...but isnt that what this site is for

Chandler

Old 06-29-2012, 09:58 AM

If you want to be closer than that to the ocean, then I'd suggest Isle of Palms. There are many leasing offices over there, Island Realty comes to mind, and they should be able to set you up with what's coming available. I don't see anything active on the MLS at the moment. We don't have too many "downtown" areas right off the beach, so your shopping options will be somewhat limited unless you drive the 2 miles into Mount Pleasant.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 AM

OK i have done a little intel gathering and I do NOT want to live in on the island. I think it would be too small of an area and offer very little opportunity for me to meet new friends. That said I would greatly appreciate a quick opinion on the following ares as they relate to me. Mount Pleasant, West Ashley, Charleston, N. Charleston, and Summerville.
Thank you again and please dont inconvenience your day but if you could help me in your down time that would be great
Chandler

Old 06-29-2012, 12:32 PM

What is anyone's opinion on Central Square? Is it young or would a 42 year old lady fit in?
Chandler

Old 06-29-2012, 01:32 PM

Proximity to water would rule out Summerville and North Charleston. Most likely would rule out west ashley as well, but areas like Avondale in west ashley are social and could potentially be a decent fit. Given your stated needs, I still think Mount Pleasant would likely suit you best. Check out Seaside Farms, and condo complexes around Towne Center, i.e. Montclair, Thickett, or larger developments like condos/rentals in Park West.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:29 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchandlers View Post
What is anyone's opinion on Central Square? Is it young or would a 42 year old lady fit in?
Chandler
The Central Square apartments seemed to be very young when we stayed there when we first arrived. I spent my entire first summer at the pool there and rarely saw anyone over mid-twenties poolside. The only people I ever met in their forties were like us, short term residents in corporate apartments. I liked the apartments just fine while we were there, but I would have felt very out of place there as a permanent resident.

I know you discarded the idea of Sullivan Island, but whenever we go down there for dinner most of the restaurant crowd seem to be in the age range you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area