Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 06:09 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times

Advertisements

My wife called Park West Academy yesterday and upon hearing about the waiting list, asked if they had any recommendations.

They responded with a particular place that I wasn't familiar but also made a point to say "certainly not Sunshine House." Any reason for that? Reviews online and in this thread say otherwise. Just jealous competition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 06:53 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
I have a feeling because it's a commecial space. We decided not to bring our youngest there.. to many children in a classroom for her. But for our oldest who was in first grade and perfectly capable of an acceptable level of self management, it was perfect.

I really think this thread about sums it up. The biggest issue with Sunshine house was the student to teacher ratio and turnover. Our youngest now has a teacher that came from SSH, and she's a wonderful one, but she left due to low pay and ratio.

We would still take our oldest there.. might do it this summer. For an after school program for older kids it's been great.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 PM

What's older? And considering the 9 month waiting list for PW, what is a compatible alternative?

Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM

817 posts, read 2,004,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
My wife called Park West Academy yesterday and upon hearing about the waiting list, asked if they had any recommendations.

They responded with a particular place that I wasn't familiar but also made a point to say "certainly not Sunshine House." Any reason for that? Reviews online and in this thread say otherwise. Just jealous competition?
Rory as noted.. our 4 yr old was in SSH and we moved him to PW Preschool and love it there.
Teachers are GREAT !
Reason PW Pre said anywhere but SSH........ is because they get so many SSH dissatisfied parents move their kids to PW Pre... not from jealous competition.

We moved him first from SSH and a slew of parents we knew moved their kids soon after speaking to us.

PW Pre went from .. well let's say less than full classrooms to as you heard waiting lists.

Outdoor playground is still pitiful....... but the indoor is what counts, classroom and especially the teachers.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:23 PM

Sounds like a good idea to get our 2 year old in at SSH for now and get on the waiting list.

What's the difference in rate?

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 03-15-2013 at 08:31 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 08:52 PM

PW Pre is $169/week for F/T
( was like $165... or something like that and just went to $169 )

TCC is going to $1100/month F/T ($275/wk)

Old 03-15-2013, 10:06 PM

2 yo I wouldn't do SSH. Our oldest was 7 when she was at SSH. At 7 she was there after school and during the summer for camps and field trips. Was perfect for that. Our youngest was your child's age when we made the decision to enroll her at Park West Preschool and Childcare.

We've been very happy. She's farther along than the older one was when she was that age.. but some of that may be attributed to having an older sibling.

As Micheal said, the playground is very small. But I've never heard ours complain about it.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
2 yo I wouldn't do SSH. Our oldest was 7 when she was at SSH. At 7 she was there after school and during the summer for camps and field trips. Was perfect for that. Our youngest was your child's age when we made the decision to enroll her at Park West Preschool and Childcare.

We've been very happy. She's farther along than the older one was when she was that age.. but some of that may be attributed to having an older sibling.

As Micheal said, the playground is very small. But I've never heard ours complain about it.
9 month waiting period.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:33 AM

Get on the list.. hey ya never know.

They recently took in (2) sets of triplets !!!!!!!!!!!

There goes 6 seats in one stroke.

Best time to start is now

Old 03-16-2013, 03:43 PM

I don't think you'll be in a bad situation at SSH while you're on the waiting list. I would probably do that too. I agree with Michael though, get on the list ASAP and wait if out at SSH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area