Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 04:31 PM

103 posts, read 217,974 times

Advertisements

Hello !

My partner and I are relocating to Charleston in just under 2 months (I'm not counting down or anything...) and we will be living in Mt. Pleasant just a few miles from the Isle of Palms. In my short couple of visits I've made, we only visited Folly Beach but have yet to visit the beaches at IOP.

We were just curious which people prefer? Folly Beach or IOP? What do you like about one over the other?

Any info would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 04:44 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,830 times
Folly is more local & more Southern. Mayberry by the Sea with a slight hippy edge to it. More of a live and let live environment.

IOP is more upscale/subruban/slightly touristy- it has a resort, golf course, marina and more large houses.

The big diferences are Folly is better surf and IOP is more easy to access during the summer & any warm weather weekend. Also IOP is basically 5-10 minutess from the heart of Mt Pleasant's main shopping and dining areas. Folly is adjacent to James Island which really doesn't have the equavalent restaurant/shopping areas but does have some good individual restaurants in scattered sites.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,493 times
I like IOP, but I'm primarily on the beach to run anyway. IOP has Wild Dunes and lots of homes, it's definitely more of a vacation/tourist area, golf courses and sorta preppier, I guess. Folly Beach is nice too but has a younger feel to it and has some of the beachy stores (i.e. tacky souvenirs, t-shirts) that Myrtle Beach has... but still way classier than MB.

There's also Sullivan's Island, lots of great restaurants there as well.

Whichever beach you prefer, we have a lot of options and you gotta love that . You're close to all of them here!

Old 12-30-2012, 05:23 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,388 times
I have not been to Folly, but I can give my view of IOP. The main reason we go here is that it is 5 miles from where we live. It is always very easy to get in and out of. We buy a county park pass and just park in the county lot. I actually never even notice the vibe because as soon as we get set up I am in the water for hours. There are some bars/restaurants and a little area with beach/tourist type shops. The county parking area has restrooms, showers, changing areas, and a little cart to buy food, drinks, or beach gear like boogie boards. I just can't be bothered to drive to Folly when IOP is so close.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 PM

103 posts, read 217,974 times
Thanks for the insight! Can someone provide me with info on IOP policies on dogs on the beach? Is there a specific time of year dogs are allowed?

Thanks

Old 12-30-2012, 05:40 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,665,817 times
IOP is a mixed bag. Many high income, white wine sippers but also a cadre of lower income, beer drinker, joint smoking, renting, party crowd.
Folly is a beer drinking and smoke a joint, party crowd with few white wine sippers.
Sullivans Island is a wine drinking (not sippers) crowd and maybe smoke a joint crowd but no hard partying.

By saying you and a partner, if a same sex couple then IOP will accept you.
Folly will say cool man but not for me.
Sullivans could care less.

IOP can be quite mixed. Many very expensive homes but also many rentals with let us party types so the compexion of the place changes rapidly by neighborhood.
Folly primarily renters, party type, surfer crowd.
Sulivans is quite laid back, so do your own think but just do not disturb others doing their thing.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 12-30-2012 at 05:59 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,430 times
IOP & Sullivans...Folly very last for me. Not that Folly is bad by any means but it isn't my cup of tea. IOP has a beautiful beach but has gotten a bit overgrown..home stacked on home feeling..Sullivans is great. Laid back, great fun restaurants/pubs clustered together within walking distance to the beach. I'd love to find a 2nd home type of place at Sullivans (won't happen..just sayin' I'd love to have one).

Old 12-30-2012, 09:32 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,388 times
There are always dogs on the beach at IOP. The only restriction is when they can be off leash, but they can be on the beach any time with a leash. This is what I found on the IOP animal control website:

When can dogs be on the beach off leash?
From 5:00AM until 8:00AM April 1st through September 14th and 4:00PM until 10:00AM September 15th through March 31st. Dog owners must have leash in hand, have their dog under voice command and must clean up excrement. At all other times, dogs must be on leash and under complete control, even in the water.

Something to make note of is that you do not have to register your dog to bring it to IOP, but if you will be bringing your dog to Sullivan's Island, you will have to register your dog. I have only brought mine to IOP.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:15 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,430,476 times
Folly Beach ! Lost Dog is the best brunch the beaches here! Check it out and see!
Tides Hotel has a delicious buffet.
Better waves, like was mentioned, and younger people. Also, there is a family beach with restrooms, and showers on West 3rd. St.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
There are always dogs on the beach at IOP. The only restriction is when they can be off leash, but they can be on the beach any time with a leash.
Right, we take our dogs on leash to IOP all the time. We don't do the off leash thing because my dogs scare people. We did go once during off leash ties at IOP and were surprised at how many dogs were running the beach.
Folly has specific times when dogs can be on the beach, leashed or not. From the Folly Beach website: "While dogs are allowed on Folly Beach year-round, from May 1 to September 30 dogs aren’t allowed on the beach between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. A maximum fine of $500 can be issued to anyone who breaks this rule. Dogs must be on a leash while on the beach and under control by their owners. As always, dog waste must be picked up by pet owners."

I like IOP, Sullivan's and Folly about equally, I just never go to Folly on warm beach days because traffic can be really rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area