Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:23 AM

5 posts, read 13,630 times

Advertisements

Arrest made: Arrest Made in Sawmill Branch Sexual Assault - Summerville, SC Patch

I walk/run this trail (where the incident occurred too). But I have a ferocious-looking pitbull and my CWP ... so I will continue to walk/run there. Pretty scary stuff though.

ETA: didn't see a page 2 on this thread and didn't see folks saw suspect caught

Last edited by SummervillePatch; 01-15-2013 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: oops didn't see page 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,023,060 times
I think there's also a Krav Maga class in West Ashley that's women-only once a week. Certainly worth looking into, great practical fighting style, and teaches you awareness to combat people's tendency to "freeze up" in a crisis.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:01 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,474,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Running by yourself on an isolated trail always a risk.

Pepper spray, knife, phone -- all false sense of security....
I wouldn't advise anyone try to deploy a weapon they haven't trained with...

my family has, by my lead, and I suggest everyone get at least a basic understanding of hand to hand as well as of gun/knife offense and defense... if nothing else it'll help you be more aware of what's around you, and could save a life one day

there's free seminars at gyms and dojo's from time to time all over the lowcountry, and some pay seminars for the experienced as well as unexperienced that aren't that expensive... go visit several and ask, not to join but just to participate in some of these things offered

check their websites, many post events on them that anyone is welcome to attend

you'll have fun as well as learn something new!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:30 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,474,168 times
just saw that Ray Nash is now running to fill Tim Scotts vacated congress seat, which means he must be back in town

he had a martial arts studio in Summerville and taught many self defense seminars and is an extremely experienced martial artist, as is his son who went on after high school into the USMC a couple of years ago

the MMA fights they have at the Shriners hall in MtP regularly has one of his old students in it, Michael Corvino...

he's a big VeeJitsu student as well, under Professor Evans' system

Ray Nash was also Sheriff of Dorchester County for many years, great man!

if he opens another school here I may get back into it...

Old 01-15-2013, 08:02 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
I would bet we all read, saw, heard he got caught. Still wouldn't run an isolated trail by myself -- with or without a CWP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area