Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 775 times

Advertisements

Hello friends:
I'll try to make this brief, but informative. I grew up in Virginia Beach, and have lived up north since I was 20. I am now 42 with two elementary age children (and a great husband!). I have learned to "deal with" cold but have never truly loved it. My sister has relocated to Mount Pleasant...she missed the beach terribly and was sick of the cold. She absolutely loves it down there.

Just to give you a little vibe on my motivations: if I moved, it would be mostly because I have this vision that my children could go into a Montessori program where they could be outside more often...I "see" this as something that is important to me. I'm tired of them being cooped up in classrooms 9 months of the year. I also know I'd enjoy the beach again, but I would not be moving (as my sister did) primarily because of it.

Any suggestions on schools to consider for this kind of lifestyle? They would not have to be Montessori, per se, but my kids went to Montessori from 3-6 and now they're in Spanish Immersion. I just want us all to be outside more.

I'm not attached to the Mount Pleasant area....I'd consider all areas of Charleston to find the right school. Kids are 8 and 6.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 AM

7,928 posts, read 17,379,676 times
Most of the government schools do not use the Montessori program, but a few private schools do. As far as being outside, it is 77 degrees outside right now....

The flip side is that in the summer when it is 90+ with 90+% humidity will you want them outside as much?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM

192 posts, read 410,881 times
Rose.

Not "solid" advice, but just a comment from a teacher considering relo and looking into schools - there are several Montessori schools in Mount Pleasant that appeal to me from far away...check out the web.

Also impressed with University of the Low Country - I wish they went beyond 8th grade because it looks fabulous - lots of hands-on experiences (outside and full language immersion. Check them out on the web.

Good luck.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 PM

124 posts, read 336,891 times
As far as montessori schools in the area go, there is Charles Towne Montessori in West Ashley that is supposed to be really good. There is also a public montessori in West Ashley called Montessori Community School of Charleston. I do not know anyone that has gone here, so I can't speak on how good they are.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:17 PM

285 posts, read 494,624 times
I would second pacomarj's recommendation of Charles Towne Montessori School. The three little goddaughters (ages 3, 6, and 8) have been there since they were babies, and they have had an excellent experience. The school has International Montessori accreditation, so they hold themselves to very high standards. I don't know enough about their outdoor activities to comment, but I know they do place a strong emphasis on the arts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area