Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times

Advertisements

Vickery is a DIVE -- love it for being just that.
The boardwalk is too short for a "workout" walk & just right for a long stroll. Kayaking out on Shem Creek & going around Crabbank is one of my favorite kayak routes. And then paddling over to the golf course shore & into the creek behind the houses of Bayview. You're in a very quite place in that creek & it's so neat.
If you go crabbing with commercial like crabtraps, you need a fishing license. Just putting a chicken neck on string like we do is free (but you're not supposed to do more than 3 lines per person -- huh? that's the written law).
And come March, Thriller speedboat wiil be doing their rides out from Shem Creek. We do that at least twice a year -- it is a thrill & great to take out visitors on after they've done the traditional Spirit line harbor tour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 06:37 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Vickery is a DIVE -- love it for being just that.
The boardwalk is too short for a "workout" walk & just right for a long stroll. Kayaking out on Shem Creek & going around Crabbank is one of my favorite kayak routes. And then paddling over to the golf course shore & into the creek behind the houses of Bayview. You're in a very quite place in that creek & it's so neat.
If you go crabbing with commercial like crabtraps, you need a fishing license. Just putting a chicken neck on string like we do is free (but you're not supposed to do more than 3 lines per person -- huh? that's the written law).
And come March, Thriller speedboat wiil be doing their rides out from Shem Creek. We do that at least twice a year -- it is a thrill & great to take out visitors on after they've done the traditional Spirit line harbor tour.
When is the best time of the year to go crabbing?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 PM

27 posts, read 72,542 times
Just my personal opinion of Shem Creek, take it or leave it:

OVERRATED.

- You got 4 restaurants, full of drunks, with very mediocre food. Young drunk guys and middle age men seeking a return to their college days, all drunk, chasing the also drunk women.

- You have a long boardwalk with nothing on it. The city of Mt Pleasant, which is having money trouble, spent $8 million on it, for....I dont know why. For a long boardwalk that almost nobody uses. Massive waste of tax dollars.

That said, I love animals, and you'll see some dolphins and birds there, but nothing you couldnt see at any other waterfront area in Charleston.

However, if you are looking for some bars to get really drunk at, eat some so-so food that may be overcooked and oversalted, get even more drunk and hit on some women of questionable morales...well, Shem Creek may be a great place.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Tomorrow through Yesterday.....

We really do have a year round seafood season around here, but much like oysters I wouldn't eat them during the dog days of the summer....

Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We love to go crabbing! What time do the shrimp boats come in? I know I heard others talk about Shem Creek Bar and Grill, is that the place to eat? Any other suggestions?
I think the shrimp boats come in around 4 - 4:30. I was there one day when they came in and it was great because of all the dolphins. I wish I would have looked at the exact time they came in though!

I like Red's. It does have more of a college pub atmosphere, which I am not into, but I like the outside deck to eat and I like the lowcountry boil there. That is my favorite dish since moving here.

Please do not listen to to the poster that said no one ever uses the boardwalk. That is just false. We go there often and there are always quite a few people walking on it, fishing, or crabbing.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,941,263 times
Mini, if that's truly your favorite dish, you'll love Bowens Frogmore stew.

I like Reds also. It is what it is, and I'm going way more often now that I know guys my age are getting double drunk...and, where are those women with the loose morales? Sounds like a pretty sassy dress!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,343 times
I run there twice a week so I don't spend too much time there. I'm trying to get in and out as fast as I can. Literally, hehehe.

It's a nice place though if you want a good lunch and to sit and look out over the water. I definitely would not recommend more than a couple hours, including your lunch and leisure time. Maybe just 3 hours total .

Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
I'm surprised none of those places have live music on the deck on Saturday or Sunday afternoons. I thought those places would be a perfect spot for it.

Thanks for all the info about the area. I think we'll try to stop by to see it so we can see what it's like. We like to eat out on a deck on the water. It seems like most of the places serve alot of seafood which I don't eat but I'm sure I can find something else on the menu. We're not that picky

Old 01-18-2013, 11:14 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,540 times
So if a woman has loose "morales" does that mean she is sad, and needs a pick me up? Heeheehee. Sorry, just had to do it. Don't throw any oysters at me!

I really liked that restaurant that we had our earlier meet up at. No crowds of drunks to be seen. Can't remember the name though, but I'm sure someone else knows.
I don't like crowds, drunk or otherwise, so Red's isn't for me either.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,941,263 times
Ya mean people standing close to you make you nervous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area