Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 PM

27 posts, read 72,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
At 12:30 today we had to drive to the park by the bridge in MtP. From the interior of Park West (actually from the PW Blvd/GreyMarsh circle) it took 17 minutes to get to the park.

Just wanted to provide another example of real world driving times.

The new lanes help a lot.
Thats about a 15-17 mile trip. Meaning at a mile per minute, you'd be doing 60mph.

There is absolutely NO WAY you went from deep in Park West, drove 60mph all the way to the park, without hitting one traffic light.

So you are either lying, or you drove 70-80 mph in a 35-45 mph construction zone. But seeing how most Mt P people drive, you may have been doing just that.

But you didnt legally get from interior PW to the waterfront park in 17 minutes at 1230. You didnt do it...unless you drove like a maniac AND got all the green lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,679,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucs90 View Post
Thats about a 15-17 mile trip. Meaning at a mile per minute, you'd be doing 60mph.

There is absolutely NO WAY you went from deep in Park West, drove 60mph all the way to the park, without hitting one traffic light.

So you are either lying, or you drove 70-80 mph in a 35-45 mph construction zone. But seeing how most Mt P people drive, you may have been doing just that.

But you didnt legally get from interior PW to the waterfront park in 17 minutes at 1230. You didnt do it...unless you drove like a maniac AND got all the green lights.
It's 11.7 miles. At 45 miles an hour it would take about 14.5 minutes. Give a few minutes for stop lights and 17 minutes sounds right to me. I haven't seen any 35 mile/per limits in weeks. If you are going to call someone a liar at least pull out a calculator first.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
It's 11.7 miles. At 45 miles an hour it would take about 14.5 minutes. Give a few minutes for stop lights and 17 minutes sounds right to me. I haven't seen any 35 mile/per limits in weeks. If you are going to call someone a liar at least pull out a calculator first.
Roxanne, it is 11.7 miles from the gate to gate(no real gates involved just using that as a point of reference), I believe that Cape has said that he lives insde of park west so that will add a few minutes. To average 45mph over a 12 mile trip you would have to do about 50~55 mph once you got up to speed from the light, need to use the mean speed not the average or we could get real real indepth and look at the standard deviation in speed and then throw in some more calculus ontop of that and he still would have had to make all of the 10~15 traffic lights almost perfectly.....

Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,962,514 times
LOL...two days in a row from the bridge to north MtP...one day 15mins...the next day 17 mins.

The trip yesterday was 10 miles...today 11 miles (going to different places). Do the math if you want. The reality is some of you people believe what you want and throw facts out the window.

Will this happen at any time of the day, or even every day? Certainly not. But it does happen more times than not.

Speeding? I'm one of the few people who drive around here at the speed limit. Especially since it's a construction zone...which is 45mph the entire way on 17 (except for that one 35mph sign they have neglected to take down driving north at the 526 overpass).

Today, @45mph, the non-stop trip works out to 14.6 minutes on the calculator. Take into consideration a short stint of 35mph in PW and a handful of stoplights...add 2.5 minutes it comes up with the actual 17 minutes it took us.

If we go that route tomorrow for something, I'll try to remember to time it AGAIN. LoL

Last edited by cape_fisherman; 01-24-2013 at 05:42 PM..

Old 01-24-2013, 08:19 PM

817 posts, read 2,005,383 times
OK... just took the same route as is being mentioned.. from the bridge to the PW Blvd/Grey Marsh circle.. (hey you can call it a round a bout... I call something round a circle

Came off the bridge 9pm and started clocking at North Honicutt, which I was stopped by its traffic light and started clocking it stopped waiting for that light. Hit 4 more lights along the way... 5 lights in total and did mainly 45mph.. but increased it as everyone does/was higher up as we drove 17 to like 50 I would say.
(cannot drive any faster that 50 anyway... my 14 year old car starts to shake rattle and roll at higher speeds)

Came to the PW Blvd/Grey Marsh circle... err round about and clocked in at 19 minutes in time... used stop watch.

Almost no traffic to contend with as it was 9pm...and it took 19 minutes.

Anything less time wise ... with 'any' daytime traffic, school, shopping, tourists, construction etc. means ya gotz ta not hit any lights I guess.

19 minutes at 9pm.. so I can easily imagine longer time wise anytime during the day

Anyway......... what ever it takes it takes I am happy with the times........... short road relatively and so one hits some 'traffic' here and there... but it is not lengthy traffic... over in a few lights etc.

This ain't traffic people

Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 PM

132 posts, read 239,996 times
You should borrow your wife's BMW convertible or Hummer next time to avoid all that rattling :P

Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarburton View Post
You should borrow your wife's BMW convertible or Hummer next time to avoid all that rattling :P
Maybe that's why it took me 2 minutes less than MNYC...I WAS driving the wife's BMW convertible.

Ironic ain't it?

LMFAO

Old 01-24-2013, 10:30 PM

The day before I wasn't driving the BMW...or the Hummer (actually don't have one of those...had to lobby the MtP Town Council to let us live here w/o one).

On that trip I had to settle for the 2500 Avalanche. It rides better than the BMW.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:55 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,679,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Roxanne, it is 11.7 miles from the gate to gate(no real gates involved just using that as a point of reference), I believe that Cape has said that he lives insde of park west so that will add a few minutes. To average 45mph over a 12 mile trip you would have to do about 50~55 mph once you got up to speed from the light, need to use the mean speed not the average or we could get real real indepth and look at the standard deviation in speed and then throw in some more calculus ontop of that and he still would have had to make all of the 10~15 traffic lights almost perfectly.....
Well I didn't drive it, I just Google mapped it from Graymarsh circle to the park and Google maps said 11.7 miles. If they're wrong then that's my bad. I thought that if it was on the Internet it had to be true. However I just drove from Charleston national to the park and it took me exactly 16 minutes at 9:30 in the morning. I know I wasn't speeding because I am driving on a donut tire and my car makes a very annoying sound if I hit 50 and it never made that sound. I did hit a few traffic lights but not many. I could certainly see where if you got unlucky and hit all the lights the trip could be considerably longer. This is really a stupid argument anyway, it just offends me when someone says that we must be either drunk or lying just because his experience on the road is different than ours.

FYI Al, I am absolutely giving this math problem to my math geek child to solve. He'll be giddy! For me it just gave me a headache even contemplating it.

Last edited by roxanneself; 01-25-2013 at 08:12 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,283,083 times
I did some timing myself this morning. I purposefully went through Park West instead of out the back down 41 like I usually do... man that was a mistake, but here's the stats:

Left at 7:47 this morning
My house to Grey Marsh roundabout: 10 minutes (behind busses loading kids and heavy traffic)
Grey Marsh roundabout to Park West & 17 (busses, traffic going into schools): 7 minutes 30 seconds
PW & 17 to Houston Northcutt & 17: 15 minutes and 50 seconds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area