Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:08 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
However, everything I've read on multiple sites indicates that the elementary and middle schools ARE in fact Hanahan.
Until you have spoken to someone at the school district and given the address I wouldn't trust what anyone else says. I've seen several people say Cainhoy, and one person (who is a builder for that neighborhood) say Hanahan. It is to the advantage of builders and realtors to have people think Hanahan. Not implying in ANY WAY that someone on this board would mislead you, but its a huge purchase to leave that question in the hands of people who stand to profit from your decision.
Even if you're lucky and end up in Hanahan schools instead of Cainhoy, they still just don't really hold a candle to Dorchester II or MP, but at least they aren't horrible. What would worry me is that none of the real estate listings seem to mention the schools. I have never looked at a house in a desirable school region where that fact wasn't proudly listed as one of the home features in the MLS description.

There are four grocery stores, many many many retail shops, hardware, etc. all the same distance from Dunes West as the one DI grocery, a goodwill, and a handful of small retail shops are distance wise from Beresford. My opinion is that the neighborhood isn't all that remote anyway, but that's coming from someone who drives quite a ways past all those above mentioned stores to get to the one I like anyway.

You are looking at a cute development surrounded by stuff people usually don't want to be surrounded by, so you are counting on the neighborhood dragging the rest of the area up, instead of vice versa. If the busy highway doesn't bother you, the schools are good enough to make you happy, and the industry surrounding the neighborhood are acceptable then I think you have found your answer already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 02:13 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Daniel Island School boundaries map...scroll down the page to see the boundaries.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-23-2013 at 06:11 AM..

Old 01-20-2013, 02:16 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
It appears as though DI Elementary extends far enough to encompass Beresford Hall. The Retreat at Beresford looks to be well within the boundaries.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:17 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
It appears as though DI Elementary extends far enough to encompass Beresford Hall. The Retreat at Beresford looks to be well within the boundaries.

Daniel Island Bus Route

This link seems to definitely confirm that. Bus two drives right through The Retreat.
Personally, I would positively confirm any schools before I made an offer on any house, but since I chose the last three homes primarily based on schools I may have an extra bias in that direction.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:01 AM

870 posts, read 1,678,673 times
Yes, the kids do attend DI Elementary who live in the Retreat. My daughter has many school friends who live back there. It's a beautiful neighborhood and the 4-5 families that I know that live there, really like it. I think many people question it because it's off of DI so people tend to think why didn't/couldn't you just move on the island? Well, obviously, you get ALOT more home and land, for your buck. To some, it's not worth being off island, to others it is. I drive back there for my daughters gymnastics and around 5pm it is full of traffic...however, it moves and it's really only during morning and evening commute...no big deal. Actually, the traffic is in line to get onto 526..because I'm heading to DI, my lane is completely open.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:55 AM

31 posts, read 75,805 times
We rent in Beresford Commons, right next to the Retreat.... It can be a pain trying to turn onto Clements Ferry during rush hour commutes, but you learn to just dart into the middle lane and sit there until you get a break in the traffic. I heard at one of the last Retreat HOA meeting, questions were raised about getting a traffic light put there, but I don't think it went anywhere. The neighborhood seems nice... sold signs go up as soon as construction begins on the lots. Lots of kids and young families moving in. Schools are DI elementary, and Berkely approved a school bond last election... supposed to result in a new middle school to accomodate the overcrowding at DI elem (just about at capacity now), and a new high school, and I think plans are to build one or both on Clements Ferry.... Clements Ferry is supposed to be widened... I believe they are in the surveying/environmental planning stage. You do get an occasional smell, however, from the paper mill plant when the wind is blowing just right .... bothers my husband a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area