Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:07 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,806 times

Advertisements

We're researching Retreat at Beresford new homes as a possible option of new, more reasonable housing without having to locate all the way up to Summerville to be able to be in the area.

I've read a lot of comments that the negatives with this development are that Clements Ferry Rd. is industrial and busy and that the elementary and middle schools are not Hanahan, which are the preferred schools.

However, everything I've read on multiple sites indicates that the elementary and middle schools ARE in fact Hanahan.

So that leaves either an issue with Clements Ferry Rd, which we haven't seen, except on Google Earth, or an issue with the houses being built, many of look pretty nice and very reasonably priced - again our reference is only Google Earth.

What is the issue with Clements Ferry Rd? I don't see that Clements Ferry is any less attractive or busy than 17 all the way up to Northh MP to be honest. As far as distance from MP "center", it's about the same as North MP, and it's close to DI.

So what is the reason so many people seem to dislike this development? Are there financial problems?

Does anyone know who the builders are other than Easton Homes? Is there an issue with the quality of the homes?

Would appreciate any info., especially from any realtors on this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 08:33 AM

192 posts, read 409,575 times
macalan:

We do not live in Mount Pleasant, but we continue to visit for relocation...that being said, we felt the same about Clements Ferry Road (not being too crazy, having seen it on Google). Last week my husband drove up to Beresford (Hall - not the retreat, but same area). From just that one visit we nixed it as a possibility. The road is REALLY busy, full of BIG trucks and there are several industrial areas and distribution centers directly on Clements Ferry Road. It's a shame, because the houses/area looked good.

Yu may want to search the forum for Beresford - I got a good discussion going about it a few weeks ago. The feedback I got hinted at a possible road expansion out that way (not for years); but the reality is it's highly industrial out there.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:25 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,114,132 times
What I know about Clement's Ferry Rd and Beresford ...

The housing and development at Beresford is very VERY nice. Nice size lots with very nice, newer construction.

As far as traffic ... any arterial road in the greater Charleston metro area is going to have heavy traffic ... whether it's cars, semi trucks, school buses or all of the above. You can't drive on ANY road around here without ending up behind a container truck.

As far as industrial area ... there is a lot of industrial development in the area of Clements Ferry, but there is a lot of residential too. People just tend to notice the industrial first because it is built for convenient access to Clements. The residential properties are built for 'privacy' farther back from Clements using the natural wooded areas as buffers. I've also seen a lot of plans for more residential over that way.

As for schools ... I'm not sure what school district that area is in so I can't say ... although I'm not sure how Hanahan Schools play any pertinent point in the discussion. Best school district in the area would be Dotchester District 2 (not anywhere near Clements) or Mt. Pleasant area of Charleston County schools.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:44 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,671,525 times
My information is two years old, but there is a plan to widen and lengthen Clements Ferry Road. Lengthen it north (across 41) up a few miles then bring it back into Rte.17 in Awendaw.

If looking at a home off Clements Ferry road just be sure it is set back far enough off the road so traffic and noise will not be an issue when they do widen in.

Many also consider it out in the middle of nowhere with no shopping near it. Also as you mentioned, where the nippers go to school plays a major role.

I lived in the Rivertowne area so I used Clements Ferry Road all the time and found it convenient.

There is a plan on the boards to widen Rte. 41 but that has been delayed arguing what type bridge goes over the Wando.

As I said, my info is 2 years old.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,333,322 times
The traffic on that road is a night mare, in the morning coming from Beresford towards the interstate it backs up and craws all the back to the Gilldan Warehouse, formerly Micas....

Old 01-20-2013, 11:07 AM

Worse than 17? We found the traffic on 17 to be quite heavy and nightmarish too!

I don't recall seeing any grocery stores up near Park West or Dunes West - perhaps we just missed them. To us, that area (North) of MP seemed just as "out in the boonies" as Beresford appears to be.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:39 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,960,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Worse than 17? We found the traffic on 17 to be quite heavy and nightmarish too!

I don't recall seeing any grocery stores up near Park West or Dunes West - perhaps we just missed them. To us, that area (North) of MP seemed just as "out in the boonies" as Beresford appears to be.
You didn't look very hard. Living smack in the middle of Park West we have a Publix and Harris Teeter 5 minutes away from our doorstep and WalMart is just across 17. The Publix is actually in Park West and the HT is on 41 just outside of Dunes West/Rivertown. Again from the middle of Park West, we are a 10 minute drive to Town Center and 15 minutes from the IOP. Where are you moving from that this would be considered "out in the boonies"? LoL

Traffic on 17 in MtP. I hear this alot. I'm not sure why because the traffic there is no worse than the traffic any where else. Have you tried to go anywhere in the greater Charleston area during the morning or evening rush? Traffic is backed up in every area. Actually the MtP traffic has lightened up since they have started opening up new lanes.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 PM

Hi. No, I don't think North MP is "out in the boonies". I was referring to the comments by others that Beresford is "out in the boonies". My point was if Beresford is almost exactly the same distance to the center of MP that North MP is (which it is according to MapQuest), than how can Beresford be considered "out in the boonies" and North MP not?

Same thing with Route 17 "traffic". As you said, everywhere is busy. So why is Clements Ferry Rd. considered so much "worse" than Route 17, which is certainly doesn't appear to be?

Old 01-20-2013, 12:48 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,615 times
Though distance may be the same from Beresford, it feels different riding through Mt. P to another location in Mt. P. No I26 or I526 necessarily involved. And "traffic" is not the heavy industrial trucks mentioned before. OTC was right-on about the truck backups.
I bike a lot & I feel enclosed within my town. Beresford seems isolated & very "boonies" from that perspective.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,960,504 times
While there are quite a few commercial vehicles on Clements Ferry, I have never seen a "truck backup". It is always commuters who back it up in the morning. In the evenings it's usually backed up just off of 526, but clears up quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area