Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:21 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwabird21 View Post
Well, unsure if the gf wants to live downtown while I do but am fine if not. Perhaps in our second year there job-pending. What do you mean by "hazard upper King"?

We have to schlep a while to do our laundry here so if there's no W/D, that's okay. Also, when you say "tiny" do you mean by Charleston's standards or are we thinking Tokyo microapartments? I used to live in a room that only fit my bed.

And for now, we're just a 2-person family Late 20s/almost 30s. The extra bedroom would be for visitors.

Thanks for the suggestions!
I meant that the Upper King area is borderline. ZUMAN is right - there are a lot of young professionals moving into the area, but there are still a lot of sketchy areas. I climb at the indoor bouldering facility up there at least once a week and during the day it is fine. But they were burglarized earlier this month and the pizza restaurant next door gets broken into once a year on average. You can also see when you drive through there that the area is largely low income housing with some nicer pockets cropping up. That's what I meant by "hazard Upper King", as in if you want to take a chance on it, it might work out or it might not.

I think he has somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 sqft, so not too terribly small. Keep in mind that Harleston Village is pretty desirable, so other areas like the Boroughs will be cheaper but not quite as nice and/or convenient to all that Charleston has to offer.

If you aren't necessarily looking at downtown living I would suggest somewhere in Mt. Pleasant, but that's where I live so I am partial. It takes me 9 minutes to get to downtown Charleston, 3 minutes to get to the 526 connector (beltline basically) and it's about 16 minutes to the beach (Isle of Palms). Other areas are nice too, just depends on your priorities and where you work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
I'm not exactly sure what 'LGBT friendly' would be defined as. I don't think anyone would heckle you here. It's about as accepting as any more 'modern' southern town. People will have their opinions, but the most you might ever get is a face made at you... which again would be rare. Especially based on the level of PDA you listed. I must live a very sheltered life, I don't see a lot of homosexual couples out holding hands. I feel that of the strange looks you might get, most would be because it's not expected and isn't seen everyday vs I'm against the practice.

But as someone pointed out, Charleston is in a conservative state and while more liberal than most cities in the state... it's probably much more conservative than what you may be used to. Unless the US Supreme Court allows same sex marriage, I wouldn't expect to see SC allowing it any time soon.

I guess if I would define San Fransisco on a LGBT friendly scale as a 10. Charleston might be a 4?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:39 AM

102 posts, read 151,101 times
Being a recent transplant from Brooklyn, my partner (a guy) and I (a girl) wanted to live close to downtown while we got to know the area and decide where we want to settle in. We also wanted to commute by bike as much as possible. (The bridge from Mt Pleasant has a killer incline, and the ones out to West Ashley, James and John Islands do not have bike paths, yet.)
We found a lovely little house with a big yard in Wagener Terrace for $1300, and are convinced this is the neighborhood we want to be in. It's a diverse neighborhood of young and old, black and white, straight and gay, blue collar and white collar. Just like Brooklyn. Oh, and it's only a fifteen minute drive to Folly Beach (lots of surfers there)!

And I really don't think you're going to have much to worry about being gay. It's a very friendly Southern graces city, but it's also a tourist town - so they've seen it all, but aren't gunna comment on it even if they were shocked.

Good luck! You're going to love it here. We do!

Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahef71 View Post
Being a recent transplant from Brooklyn, my partner (a guy) and I (a girl) wanted to live close to downtown while we got to know the area and decide where we want to settle in. We also wanted to commute by bike as much as possible. (The bridge from Mt Pleasant has a killer incline, and the ones out to West Ashley, James and John Islands do not have bike paths, yet.)
We found a lovely little house with a big yard in Wagener Terrace for $1300, and are convinced this is the neighborhood we want to be in. It's a diverse neighborhood of young and old, black and white, straight and gay, blue collar and white collar. Just like Brooklyn. Oh, and it's only a fifteen minute drive to Folly Beach (lots of surfers there)!

And I really don't think you're going to have much to worry about being gay. It's a very friendly Southern graces city, but it's also a tourist town - so they've seen it all, but aren't gunna comment on it even if they were shocked.

So you left Brooklyn to move to Charleston and are excited to find a place in Charleston just like Brooklyn?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
You will have more of a hassle with the dog and the cat than your lifestyle when it comes to finding a place to live....

Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
So you left Brooklyn to move to Charleston and are excited to find a place in Charleston just like Brooklyn?
Yeah, I'm very excited to have moved from Brooklyn into this neighborhood rather than a neighborhood of chain restaurants and box stores where you have to drive to get anywhere. I'm not ready to go total vanilla.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:59 AM

817 posts, read 2,003,086 times
Quote:
Being a recent transplant from Brooklyn, my partner (a guy) and I (a girl)
As I tell people back in Crooklyn (me being born and brought up there)... and tell those here

Best thing about being here..... it ain't Brooklyn.
Worst thing about being here... it ain't Brooklyn.

Just funnin'......... nothin' ta miss... everythin' 'ere and mo'.... ta enjoy fo the mo' and fo the betta

Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
As I tell people back in Crooklyn (me being born and brought up there)... and tell those here

Best thing about being here..... it ain't Brooklyn.
Worst thing about being here... it ain't Brooklyn.

Just funnin'......... nothin' ta miss... everythin' 'ere and mo'.... ta enjoy fo the mo' and fo the betta
I'm totally with you, MichaelNYC. I'm glad to not be up there anymore, but miss it nonetheless.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:26 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,086 times
Quote:
I'm totally with you, MichaelNYC. I'm glad to not be up there anymore, but miss it nonetheless.
Try HARDER.............. about still missing it :P

I have never missed it...........

After all it is always in me............. I take Brooklyn with me where ever I go... just keep it inside

I have never missed it........... well ok.. I am up there almost monthly for 2 years.. so cannot truly miss it.. as it is right around the corner for me each month.
But looking forward to that one day I'm a neva goin' back

'Cept once to show my son, where he was born (same hospital as me btw), the neighborhoods, riding the trains etc.

So try HARDER

Old 01-26-2013, 10:37 AM

93 posts, read 215,301 times
You'll have no problem finding an apartment within your budget. In Park Circle (No. Chas.), it's possible to find a decent house to rent for less within 15-25 min. from anywhere you need to be. As for tolerance ("gay-friendly" or otherwise), Charleston is outstanding. I've been out at work and everywhere else as long as I've lived here, and it's never been a problem. As an expat Brooklynite, I do miss some things, but when I go back to visit I'm often quickly reminded of why I left. NYC and SF are great cities but so is Charleston. Don't let its small size and geographic isolation (off the beaten I-95 corridor) fool you. Do some homework before you make any decisions. There are lots of books written about the city. I'm sure you'll find it very intriguing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area