Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:06 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,048,960 times

Advertisements

We really liked the observations from the mom and son thread. We used it when we were looking at places to move to.

As for ratings sites, you guys are right. To me people seem more inclined to rate when they have had a bad experience than a good one. Even at a restaurant, if you get bad service at lunch, you go back to work and tell all your coworkers about it- the whole story- at the water cooler. If lunch was good, well, it was just good and you say it was good. I try to take the ratings with a grain of salt, but sometimes you can read which ones (positive and negative) are constructive and know whether or not it's true or if the person is just really peeved.

I say visit Abblerly and a few others. There are a lot of apartment complexes nearby... what works for one may not be a good fit for you and so forth. Pets are also a big consideration with apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 06:50 PM

16 posts, read 30,799 times
Thanks PA i will def do that.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:58 PM

469 posts, read 890,880 times
That mom and son thread was mine - keep in mind that it's old now - it's been a year and a half since my son and I went to Charleston looking for a place and he's lived there over a year now. But when I saw the name of this thread - one of the things I was going to do is come on here and ask if this is the one between a Costco and the interstate. I still stand by what I said in that thread - if you want to feel like yoou live in an urban jungle, go for it. And to those who liked the thread - I'm glad. I did it because I'd come on the forum and not find anything comprehensive, so I did one myself. I did a similar thread on Mt Pleasant Apartments as well. I did address rents, because I knew they'd change and it's easy enough to find that out online or with a phone call. But you won't find out that there's train tracks nearby easy enough.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:11 PM

16 posts, read 30,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go To Girl View Post
That mom and son thread was mine - keep in mind that it's old now - it's been a year and a half since my son and I went to Charleston looking for a place and he's lived there over a year now. But when I saw the name of this thread - one of the things I was going to do is come on here and ask if this is the one between a Costco and the interstate. I still stand by what I said in that thread - if you want to feel like yoou live in an urban jungle, go for it. And to those who liked the thread - I'm glad. I did it because I'd come on the forum and not find anything comprehensive, so I did one myself. I did a similar thread on Mt Pleasant Apartments as well. I did address rents, because I knew they'd change and it's easy enough to find that out online or with a phone call. But you won't find out that there's train tracks nearby easy enough.

Hi. Thanks for coming in....yes, that thread is old and I wanted someone who has recently lived there to respond/give a review, but that part was glossed over in my OP lol. Yes, this is the apt complex between Cosco and the interstate.

I've also been checking out the Sabal Palms apartments as well.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:52 PM

469 posts, read 890,880 times
My son has told me that he plans on moving from Sabal Palms when his lease it out - he switched apartments and signed a new leased on the second one. It's not that he doesn't like Sabal Palms - although he definitely preferred the layout of his first 1 bedroom with a sunroom over the 2 bedroom with a sunroom that he switched to. Most of his work friends live in other areas and at one point he mentioned moving closer to N Charleston - or maybe closer to Summerville to shorten his girlfriend's commute. Since he knows the area well now, I'll have to go with his judgment. We'll see when the time comes.

Another thing regarding Abberly Place - he did tell me that it was a place that many of the college interns for his company ended up living for the summer when they were there, so he did end up encountering people he knew who lived there. They liked it, they were all youngish and didn't have a whole lot of responsibilities - so they were happy hanging out at the pool and being close to shopping. And there's nothing wrong with liking an urban feel - that just wasn't my son. We saw a place in Mt Pleasant that was a mixed use retail and apartments and I did like that one (the name escapes me, it's in the mom and son Mt Pleasant thread). But again, my son is an old man in a 23 year old body so it wasn't for him.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:55 AM

Gonna be up front here. I used the mom and son thread, and my husband and I lived at ShadowMoss Pointe. We saw their post about the train track, but the apartment we looked at was not near the tracks and we did not know which unit we would get.

Well.... turns out our unit was like 2 units from the end... right where the tracks were. The bed in the bedroom sometimes vibrated like the "National Lampoon's Vacation" bed in that hotel. And the train came multiple times a night. We slept with a fan on and we got used to it... but when we moved, we were so thankful to sleep in silence!

Also, the equipment in the workout room was broken the entire time I lived there (not that there was much in there to begin with) and sometimes the car wash hose in the car wash area was broken.

Last summer we had a bunch of summer workers from Kiawah golf course living in the apartment complex and they partied. They were shooting off fireworks in the parking lot on July 4 last year, even when the complex told them not to. They moved out at the end of tourist season and since we moved into a home, I'm not sure if they are back. But there were a few units on the back row that basically reminded me of college parties...

Personally, if I had to do it again, we would not have chosen ShadowMoss Pointe and I really can't recommend it either. The other one we looked at, Colonial Village at WestChase, was a close second and I kinda wish we'd gone with that one instead. But we had to move on a whim and didn't have much time, we had to take what we could get on that particular day... I do wish we'd looked around more and ultimately chosen another complex.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:49 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,503,896 times
I also think the lower you pay in rent, the more chance you will take to have the partiers and shady people in your complex. But that's anywhere though. You'll know you are in a good complex for the most part when looking at the cars, people walking around, if there are balconies and how people keep up with them and don't trash them.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:06 AM

769 posts, read 976,609 times
I do like the apartment complex that I live in currently (Colonial Grand at Cypress Cove). It backs up to West Ashley Park and it is a nice park. I can hear the train off in a distance but I am used to hearing jet planes (F18's etc) flying over head. The trains make far less noise. However, next year I will not renew my lease there. I plan on buying a home next year.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsechick71 View Post
I do like the apartment complex that I live in currently (Colonial Grand at Cypress Cove). It backs up to West Ashley Park and it is a nice park. I can hear the train off in a distance but I am used to hearing jet planes (F18's etc) flying over head. The trains make far less noise. However, next year I will not renew my lease there. I plan on buying a home next year.
My friends live out there. They like it too but are buying a home so won't be renewing their lease either.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
I also think the lower you pay in rent, the more chance you will take to have the partiers and shady people in your complex. But that's anywhere though. You'll know you are in a good complex for the most part when looking at the cars, people walking around, if there are balconies and how people keep up with them and don't trash them.
For the most part, you're right. We really didn't expect the partiers in ShadowMoss. I think they mostly lived there, and paid a little more, because of the close proximity to Kiawah and how they could go down Bees Ferry Rd/Main Rd and get to work without hitting 17. Also they all had multiple roommates, I believe. So I guess they were splitting things.

I've driven around a few apartment complexes which were pretty obviously heavy on the partying...

I always liked seeing a cop car in the complex when I've looked at apartment complexes (btw, we did see one at ShadowMoss... and when I talked to one of the party guys one day, he mentioned not really liking the cop much. LOL) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area