Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:51 AM

103 posts, read 235,281 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be visiting our daughter and her husband in Charleston over the Christmas holidays. It's the first time for all of us Northern folks down South for Christmas. We've always served a seafood bouillabaise on Christmas Eve up here but would like to make something very South Carolinan for Christmas Eve. We're open to suggestions as to the menus and customs you enjoy in South Carolina on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We like to cook, and we were certainly knocked flat by the phenomenal seafood and produce when we visited in June. We'll be near the Marion Square Market area if it's still open around that time. Thank you for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 08:47 AM

899 posts, read 3,492,247 times
The Market will be open until the 16th, then a special Holiday market will be open.

As far as southern traditions at Christmas, I'd probably check out whatever Paula Deen is doing! Here are some ideas, I have to go eat something now.

paula deen christmas Recipe Search Food Network (http://search.foodnetwork.com/food/recipe/paula+deen+christmas/search.do?searchString=paula+deen+christmas&site=f ood&searchType=Recipe - broken link)

Old 11-11-2007, 01:10 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,682,933 times
If you want something seafood for Christmas Eve, as a native, you can't beat fried shrimp and yellow grits. I'm not talking about those grits you get in downtown restaurants because they are not true grits. lol We use House Autry seafood breader to fry the shrimp, make sure you devein them, and Arrowhead Mills organic yellow grits. Make sure the grits don't get lumpy or too thick. I like mine where I almost have to use a spoon.

Christmas day we normally have turkey and dressing, honey baked ham, homemade mac and cheese, collard greens (make sure you put a hamhock in for flavor), green beans (for those that don't like collard greens) cranberry sauce, biscuits, rice and gravy. Oh and lots of desserts.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:53 AM

103 posts, read 235,281 times
Thank you so much for the excellent Christmas culinary advice. I can't wait to get my apron on and get going on those grits.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:42 AM

899 posts, read 3,492,247 times
I like the stone ground grits from the 'Flying Dutchman' at the Summerville Farmers Market on Saturday morning. He grinds them on a huge steam driven machine, right there in front of you. You can get them coarse (grits) or fine (corn flour).

I've tried about all of them & his has just the right texture.

The only question is Cheese or No Cheese?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:26 AM

264 posts, read 829,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
The only question is Cheese or No Cheese?
Definitely NO cheese...at least, not in mine. I do cook the grits in chicken broth though, something my grandma used to do. Anyone else do that??

Old 11-12-2007, 10:27 AM

528 posts, read 1,514,527 times
No, but my wife uses half and half mixed with water to cook the grits in and just the right amount of salt...they come out creamy and delicious! I've never heard of the chicken broth...I bet it makes them tasty! We'll have to try it.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:24 PM

27 posts, read 76,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesacat View Post
Definitely NO cheese...at least, not in mine. I do cook the grits in chicken broth though, something my grandma used to do. Anyone else do that??
Yes, I think it's a must do. I use homemade chicken stock to cook the grits, keep cooking them beyond normal cooking time, keep stirring and adding heavy cream! Mmmm mmmm!

Old 11-12-2007, 04:28 PM

27 posts, read 76,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browsing Duo View Post
My husband and I will be visiting our daughter and her husband in Charleston over the Christmas holidays. It's the first time for all of us Northern folks down South for Christmas. We've always served a seafood bouillabaise on Christmas Eve up here but would like to make something very South Carolinan for Christmas Eve. We're open to suggestions as to the menus and customs you enjoy in South Carolina on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We like to cook, and we were certainly knocked flat by the phenomenal seafood and produce when we visited in June. We'll be near the Marion Square Market area if it's still open around that time. Thank you for your suggestions.
I am "from" Charleston...where are you visiting from? I bet you will really like it a lot. How nice of you to cook for your daughter and take time out to think out your meal for something thoughtful. If they like shrimp and grits, that is pretty standard Charleston fare...not sure about specifically for Christmas Eve but it is a wonderful dish. I have a pretty darn good recipe I will be happy to share with you...I have made it for several guests and one of my "foody" friends says it was the best thing he ever ate. Let me know if you are interested!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:03 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,682,933 times
No cheese please. lol I love cheese but for some reason I can't put them on my grits, nor any of the other things that have been mention. Yeah I'm a picky eater. lol I just like plain ole yellow grits, not white, mixed with water. When they are done I just put a little butter and pepper on them. Yummy!

The reason I suggested shrimp and grits it's fast and easy to cook that way you can spend more quality time with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area