Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,520 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm thrilled to have found this forum! My husband and are going to be in the Charleston area for about 5 days in mid-January. We have been to Charleston several times in the past and have stayed at the Inn at Middleton Place. We'll be celebrating our 39th anniversary and my 61st birthday. I've been quite ill the past 18 months and am just now able to start traveling again. We will be in Charleston for a couple of days and would like to stay somehwere else for a couple of days, but still in the area. I was thinking about staying at the Pink Dolphin in Summerville. We are also thinking about retirement possiblilities and will do some looking around. Does anyone have any suggestions as to places to eat, what to do outside of Charleston proper. We love history, tours, walking, and just plain exploring. We are open to places to stay, eat, tour, etc. I look forward to hearing from some of you. You live in such a beautiful part of the country. Thanks, Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 07:52 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspurple View Post
Hello all,

I'm thrilled to have found this forum! My husband and are going to be in the Charleston area for about 5 days in mid-January. We have been to Charleston several times in the past and have stayed at the Inn at Middleton Place. We'll be celebrating our 39th anniversary and my 61st birthday. I've been quite ill the past 18 months and am just now able to start traveling again. We will be in Charleston for a couple of days and would like to stay somehwere else for a couple of days, but still in the area. I was thinking about staying at the Pink Dolphin in Summerville. We are also thinking about retirement possiblilities and will do some looking around. Does anyone have any suggestions as to places to eat, what to do outside of Charleston proper. We love history, tours, walking, and just plain exploring. We are open to places to stay, eat, tour, etc. I look forward to hearing from some of you. You live in such a beautiful part of the country. Thanks, Nancy
If you are going to be staying in Summerville, I'd think you out to go have dinner or lunch at The Woodlands for a once in a lifetime dining experience. Its one of the few places in this country that meets the exacting requirements of the exclusive International Relais Association for outstanding gourmet food and accomodations and it ranks overall 2nd in the U.S and Canada I think and 27th worldwide --- so going there would be a no brainer. Here is their website. Woodlands Resort & Inn upscale accommodations and fine Dining near Charleston, South Carolina. (http://www.woodlandsinn.com/index.cfm - broken link)

There are tons of threads where suggestions of good restaurants have been given out. Here's a link to a post I wrote with the threads that have been written recently with restaurant suggestions. //www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ml#post1672395

Old 11-18-2007, 07:58 AM

899 posts, read 3,492,247 times
I think you'll enjoy the Pink Dolphin. It may be well suited for you as they are very health conscious.

If you would like to get an idea of what the area holds for retirement living, contact one of the Realtors here on the board & they should set you right up.

Five days sounds like a great amount of time to see it all!

Old 11-18-2007, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 8,741 times
Default Visiting Charleston

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary! And Happy Birthday! If you are looking at a retirement option, please be sure to check out Del Webb. This is in Summerville off of Hwy 176, which is off of Hwy 17 in Summerville. This new subdivision, Cane Bay Plantation is a new community that will offer many of the same aminities that Crowfield Plantation is famous for. Walking trails, pools, tennis courts and even a sand beach front! Plus a brand new high school, Cane Bay High School, home of the COBRAS!

Carnes Crossroads is a new mixed-use development 3 miles away that will offer large upscale grocery stores such as Harris Teeter, Publix and many retail shops and best of all restaurants You are minutes from Goose Creek that has a Super Walmart, Lowes and coming soon...Home Depot and Chick Filet!

Northwood Assembly Church and private school is moving there, and will have all that a large church can offer! Super childrens programs, Youth groups, young marrieds, single again, incredible praise and worship and a pillars group that makes me tired!

check out my blog at Cindy Norton - Prudential Carolina Real Estate for more exciting details.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:00 PM

8 posts, read 28,582 times
Thumbs up Del Webb Charleston

Two thumbs way up for Del Webb Charleston.

My husband and I will both be retired school teachers/administrators in June, and after a five year quest....this was the winner! (Our journey included Mesa, Arizona; Tampa and Sarasota, Florida; Cary and Raleigh and Wilmington, North Carolina; Hilton Head, etc.

A must see!!

Good luck:-)

Old 11-24-2007, 09:27 PM

Hi Hirschey,
Could you tell me, in your opinion, how Dell Webb compared to Hilton Head?

I have my own thoughts, having compared them both, but I would like to hear your thoughts.

jim

Old 11-25-2007, 04:33 PM

8 posts, read 28,582 times
Default Del Webb: Charleston / Hilton Head

Hi,

Hilton has the golf course thing, and beach proximity, and it is massive. (You mow your own lawns:-( ) Feels a bit "out there" in terms of location.

We preferred the smaller Del Webb with proximity to Charleston: arts, restaurant, better health care, etc.

If you were of an age to live in the retirement community full-time...Hilton might be a great fit. I prefer the options of a broader lifestyle with the amenities of a Del Webb, and the Charleston proximity.

(a bit cooler too in the summer)

Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 PM

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts. They are precisely what we thought/felt.

Although I think the ocean part is pretty much a toss up, because we have three entirely different beach vibes here, I do think the lifestyles need to be considered.

We felt that the all encompassing, retirement living thing is Hilton Head;
as opposed to the, "We've still got a lot left as individuals" is more here in Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area