Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2013, 01:38 PM

29 posts, read 48,122 times

Advertisements

We are a youngish active retired couple (60) and love Charleston. These neighborhoods look nice and they are in our price range $250-275,000.
Are there other areas that we should be looking at? Schools are not important since our kids are grown but we would like to be in a neighborhood where we could meet other couples our age...not all young families.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 02:29 PM

154 posts, read 244,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by book06 View Post
We are a youngish active retired couple (60) and love Charleston. These neighborhoods look nice and they are in our price range $250-275,000.
Are there other areas that we should be looking at? Schools are not important since our kids are grown but we would like to be in a neighborhood where we could meet other couples our age...not all young families.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Mt. pleasant probably has more older people b/c it is more expensive. Although the Avondale area in West Ashley seems to have a lot of older people, this is pretty close to downtown Charleston.

You can get a nice house for 250-275 in Mt. Pleasant?

Old 12-21-2013, 02:42 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,960,957 times
You can get a house in MtP in that range...how "nice" it is depends on your definition of the word.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:15 PM

3,865 posts, read 4,602,405 times
As is often noted on these forums Mt Pleasant tends to be more expensive but has better schools. Since schools don't matter, you'd probably do better starting your search in West Ashley, James Island or John's Island. Think about how close you want to be to Charleston and a beach... which is more important? James Island has nice older neighborhoods with homes from the 50's, 60's and 70's if you don't mind ranch style homes. Avondale and Burns Down in West Ashley have arguably more charming older houses if that's what you like and something like Seaside Plantation or Wexford Sound on James Island are newer houses with some that would likely fit your price range.
There's lots more to mention but let us know more of what you're priorities are.
Welcome to Charleston!

Old 12-21-2013, 05:29 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
At that age we were looking for a maintenance free life style so we were interested in HOA's where exterior maintenance (landscaping and home) was included. Have you looked at Del Webb Charleston? It is a bit out there but a lovely place.

Last edited by johngolf; 12-21-2013 at 06:15 PM..

Old 12-21-2013, 06:20 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,807 times
I feel like Mt. Pleasant is more families with kids, along with West Ashley outside I-526 (29414). However, West Ashley (29407) seems to have a big older population. You're close to a lot of things either place, really as long as you find a home near an interstate, you can get most places pretty quickly.

I think wherever you live, you can definitely make friends. Just get involved in your community and be active, volunteering is good, church (if you're into that). I think we also have some senior centers in town. Lots of people in Charleston and Mt. Pleasant moved here from other places so everyone is pretty nice and understanding, very open to making new friends.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:43 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
I feel like Mt. Pleasant is more families with kids, along with West Ashley outside I-526 (29414). However, West Ashley (29407) seems to have a big older population. You're close to a lot of things either place, really as long as you find a home near an interstate, you can get most places pretty quickly.

I think wherever you live, you can definitely make friends. Just get involved in your community and be active, volunteering is good, church (if you're into that). I think we also have some senior centers in town. Lots of people in Charleston and Mt. Pleasant moved here from other places so everyone is pretty nice and understanding, very open to making new friends.
I agree with Proud.

Most that will pay the price to live in Mount Pleasant do so because of the quality schools. That said, it is a great place, close to everything and why we choose it even though we had no nippers (kids).

Old 12-22-2013, 03:57 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,797,306 times
FWIW we're in 29407 and there are kids all over the place. Our neighborhood was established in the mid-'50s and finished a couple of decades later. That said, there are all sorts of people in between those with no kids yet, a bunch that have some, all the way up to a few who could be the original owners of the house.

Nearby neighborhoods have tons of families too judging from how active the swimming pools are.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:13 AM

3,865 posts, read 4,602,405 times
Unless you go for an age-specific community like Del Webb as JohnGolf pointed out, you'll have at least a mix of families and non-families. Some neighborhoods are more family-dense than others and as far as West Ashley goes I think ProudPatriot is right about there being more families in the 29414 zip (especially newer communities) than in the 29407 zip. This is all speaking in generalities of course, there are always exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area