Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 01:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,297 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My wife and i are considering relocating to South Carolina. We are 40's and late 50's and very, very active. Ideally we would like to locate within an 1 to 1-1/2 hour drive to the coast. Of course we are curious about the employment situation, housing and of course good neighborhoods. Currently we rent, and pay $700.00 mo. My wife is in accounting-bookkeeping, and I am considering owning and operating a food truck-trailer.
We would not mind a half hour commute to work, and imaging that rural/ smaller towns are a bit less expensive.
any suggestions, help, advice and input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading our post!

Mr. and Mrs. Adventurous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 08:07 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,594,491 times
Do you need to stay in the $700 range for renting? A woman I work with rents a 3 bedroom house in Summerville for $700 or $750. It seems like the people that live in Summerville really like it there, and it is around 30 miles to the beach (I think). I only drove through once, so I can't offer my opinion.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:17 AM

We could pay more for a rental, but with the move, and getting settled 700 -ish would be the best choice at this point. I will research Summerville area. Thank you for the info!!

Old 02-19-2014, 05:55 AM

3,865 posts, read 4,603,265 times
You could also check out John's and Wadmalaw Islands as well as farther out in West Ashley. They might be closer to beaches but you're unlikely to find enough business to support a food truck in the more rural areas.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:12 AM

686 posts, read 1,102,309 times
I agree that Summerville makes a lot of sense for you, but that budget might be a tad low for even there if you expect a single family house. If you would consider an apartment, and could fit in a one or 2 BR, you could look closer in to Charleston (Goose Creek to West Ashley), but $700 will limit your options the closer you get to Charleston.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:54 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,961,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
...but you're unlikely to find enough business to support a food truck in the more rural areas.
LoL

Old 02-19-2014, 12:27 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,051,017 times
Owning a food truck, you are looking at a 20-30 minute commute many days regardless of where you live, if you're planning on hitting various locations with the truck. The trucks here park downtown and on Daniel Island and in North Charleston near the major companies out there. Sometimes they will come to West Ashley and Mt. Pleasant, but I've never really known of food trucks parking in Summerville very often. Maybe they do and I just don't know about it (I live in West Ashley and well... I don't follow or track every food truck).

I'm not sure what $700 can get you in terms of a rental... but definitely take commuting and wear and tear on the truck into account. Almost everywhere here requires driving on the interstates/bridges.

BTW my place of employment, which is located in rural West Ashley near John's Island, would support a food truck 100%, but since I'm the only person there (I work at home), it's probably not a feasible idea for ya .

Old 03-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Hey everyone- Thank you for the posts! I've meant to log on, but life "got a hold on me". LOL!
Oh..ProudPatriot07....if we make it down, bring your whole workforce!! hahahahahahaha!!!
Again, thanks folks! It's a daunting task this relocating business...but support and encouragement is really helpful!

Mr. and Mrs. A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area