Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:40 PM

10 posts, read 15,396 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My family and I are relocating from Ruckersville, VA to Beaufort at the end of March. My husband has a job waiting I however for the first time in 10 years do not. We would like to rent and are heading to the are in early March in search of a home to rent. Any suggestions on areas to stay away from? Any suggestions about anything ? What is the best way to find a house to rent?

Last edited by sbgooch; 02-19-2014 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 03:02 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
I honestly don't know, but would "guess" that there are lots of rental options...as with any military town.

Best of luck to you all. Beaufort is a wonderful place...just don't expect much in the way of night-life.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:39 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,347 times
Jobs in the area are very competitive as it is a military town and many spouses are looking for work. If you are looking as well, I would be starting your search now.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:28 PM

Thank you both! We will be in the area looking for rentals Mar 6-9 Ive tried looking online but getting emails from people in Africa which just screams scam to me. I am looking for a job and have been looking for a while. I assume with my current address being VA it doesnt help me any so hoping to have better luck once we move. I am very excited about this adventure ahead of us. I am ok with no night life...

Old 02-20-2014, 04:37 PM

259 posts, read 454,285 times
Beaufort is awesomely cute and for a small town has a lot going on.
A film fest, food fests, good restaurants and a couple cool coffee shops.

You should love it.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:42 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
sb

Is you relocation military based? If so, there is a great military support system in the Beaufort area. Now Southern 101. Spelled the same but is Bue (like in beauty) or Boo (like is scare) Ferd, SC and Beu (like in bow) Fort (like in fork), NC .

Ya'll help me teach her Southern 101......LOL

Old 02-20-2014, 06:57 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
Hello! My family and I just relocated to Beaufort last May. I found a lot of rentals on Zillow and Trulia sites. Ultimately I ended up paying a realtor a small fee to take me to look at the places since I had no idea where most of them were! (Her name is Cindy Young and she's very helpful, just in case you need that info. I think she comes up if you google... all her info is available.)

There are a lot of great homes to rent. You will want to look in Lady's Island, Port Royal, Shell Point, St. Helena, and downtown Beaufort, just to name a few places. Beaufort is very spread out... we're surrounded by water... lots of bridges. :-) I live on Lady's Island and find it lovely. It's a very quiet, peaceful place. Most businesses close up by 8 pm. There are some establishments downtown that stay open later, but there is definitely not much in the way of nightlife, quite honestly.

If you like the beach and want to be really close to it, look for a place in St. Helena. There might also be rental places on Cat Island, Fripp Island or Harbor Island, but I don't know much about those places other than they're very pretty.

Like John Golf said, it's Byoooooooofert. People will laugh if you call it Bow-fort. :-) The main street is called Bay Street and it's just as cute as can be... full of galleries and boutiques, etc. I get lost in a round room and I can honestly attest that Beaufort is not a hard town to find your way around, thankfully. It's just about the perfect size, in my opinion.

Make sure you check out all the beautiful historic places... Fort Fremont, Chapel of Ease, Penn Center where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. wrote his famous, "I Have a Dream" speech, as well as all of the beautiful buildings downtown.

I'm more than happy to help in any way I can. You can feel free to contact me if you have any questions I might be able to help you with. I'm an artist and work from home, so I can't advise on the employment stuff, sorry. :-) I know nuthin' about workin'! :-)

Good luck!
Nicci

Old 02-25-2014, 06:27 AM

Thank you EVERYONE!!!! Johngolf our move is not military related. My husband grew up in South Carolina I am a navy brat from Texas and Virginia is just too far north for us its time for change.... We have lost some of our Southern but I know it will return in no time! We are heading to the area in two weeks to look around and fingers crossed rent a home :/ I have never used a realtor but I was under the impression the person with the house listed paid the realtor to show the house? How much was your small fee Nicci?

Old 02-25-2014, 06:28 AM

OOOOO Also would anyone happen to know if there are special requirements for school enrollment? Or what all is required to enroll my son?

Old 02-25-2014, 07:51 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgooch View Post
I have never used a realtor but I was under the impression the person with the house listed paid the realtor to show the house? How much was your small fee Nicci?
You are correct. The seller pays a realtor to show the house and to represent them. That realtor DOES NOT have your best interest at heart.

You should always get your own realtor...a buyer's agent. This DOES NOT cost you a dime...you pay nothing. Your buyer's agent is on your side and should work hard to get you the best deal possible.

For me...I can not stress enough to engage a realtor to represent you. Remember...you don't pay a buyer's agent a single penny (their services are free to you).

EDIT: In re-reading I see that you're looking at a rental. My advise is for purchasing a home. RE agents don't make much commission on rentals. Still...I've NEVER paid an agent to take me around looking at rental property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area