Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 03:02 PM
BRH BRH started this thread

99 posts, read 347,427 times

Advertisements

Just looking for a bit of insight. My son will be attending a class in the area for 3 months (late March thru late June). His class/work area is going to be in Mt. Pleasant (near Coleman Blvd/703 and Mill St.). We have two options for living areas, and I was wondering about commute times between the two. One would be living in the Ashley Phosphate area of North Charleston, and the other would be on Savannah Hwy. Both would be around a 15 mile or so commute it seems. I was wondering which would be advisable as far as a typical morning and afternoon commute time from either area to Mt. Pleasant in the morning and back in the late afternoon. Thanks for any advice on the benefits of either area. I know neither is really close, but which would be the best trafficwise. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 03:19 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
Savannah Hwy is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallllllllllllllllllllly long... whereabouts?

Old 02-28-2014, 03:27 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,079 times
Not only is Savannah Hwy long, but at a point, it becomes Savannah Hwy, John's Island... rather than Charleston. That's when you know you're way out . The Publix down from my house is on Savannah Hwy but the city/zip code is John's Island. Weirdness.

Personally, I think Savannah Hwy is the better option (assuming it's Savannah Hwy Charleston, which is West Ashley). Ashley Phosphate is crazy and the commute into Downtown on I-26 in the mornings can be a nightmare. Savannah Hwy is closer to downtown, then you would get on the Crosstown to go to Mt. P.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:28 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
The Savannah Hwy. commute will be better than the Ashley Phosphate commute.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:31 PM
BRH BRH started this thread

99 posts, read 347,427 times
It would be at one of the InTowne Suites locations. The one on Savannah Hwy is near the intersection of I-526 in the West Ashley area. And the other location is in far North Charleston at I-26 and Ashley Phosphate Rd. He'd be commuting mornings from one of these locations to Mt. Pleasant (Coleman Blvd/703 near Mill St & marina area).
I'm guessing if we choose the Ashley Phosphate location, he would be taking I-526 to Mt Pleasant, and from the Savannah Hwy location, probably Hwy 17 thru downtown. I know, neither is terribly close or convenient. But I was wondering which might be the most advisable. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:15 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
I would choose West ashley

Old 02-28-2014, 04:36 PM

3,841 posts, read 3,066,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
Not only is Savannah Hwy long, but at a point, it becomes Savannah Hwy, John's Island... rather than Charleston. That's when you know you're way out . The Publix down from my house is on Savannah Hwy but the city/zip code is John's Island. Weirdness.

Personally, I think Savannah Hwy is the better option (assuming it's Savannah Hwy Charleston, which is West Ashley). Ashley Phosphate is crazy and the commute into Downtown on I-26 in the mornings can be a nightmare. Savannah Hwy is closer to downtown, then you would get on the Crosstown to go to Mt. P.
Off topic, but that area out there may have a John's Island zip code, but it's not part of John's Island.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Off topic, but that area out there may have a John's Island zip code, but it's not part of John's Island.
Yeah I know. I don't have to cross any water to get to Publix . And the weird thing is, the shopping center where it is located is even called "West Ashley Shoppes".

Old 02-28-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRH View Post
It would be at one of the InTowne Suites locations. The one on Savannah Hwy is near the intersection of I-526 in the West Ashley area. And the other location is in far North Charleston at I-26 and Ashley Phosphate Rd. He'd be commuting mornings from one of these locations to Mt. Pleasant (Coleman Blvd/703 near Mill St & marina area).
I'm guessing if we choose the Ashley Phosphate location, he would be taking I-526 to Mt Pleasant, and from the Savannah Hwy location, probably Hwy 17 thru downtown. I know, neither is terribly close or convenient. But I was wondering which might be the most advisable. Thanks.
If it's the InTowne Suites in West Ashley on Savannah Hwy, go with that one. It's a good central location to 526 and 17, would be a much easier commute. He would take 17 through downtown.

If it was the North Charleston one, he would probably take I-26 to Mt. Pleasant (getting off at the bridge exit). I-26 going into Charleston is crazy in the mornings . I mean Hwy 17 can get backed up but not too bad, mostly you are held up by red lights. I-26 starts getting backed up very early in the morning...

Old 02-28-2014, 05:56 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
BRH

There are suite hotels in Mount Pleasant. Is there that much of a savings to dictate being further away for only 3 months?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area