Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:12 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,903 times

Advertisements

The WF in MP is five minutes away from me and I hardly ever go. The only real reason is if I need something gastronomically very eclectic or a particular vitamin and they're the only ones who have it.

I used to go all the time when we lived in DC, but they were taking so much business out of the other supermarkets that their competitors were forced to up their game, especially in the produce and prepared foods departments. In this way WF has served a huge purpose and now I can go to publix and for the most part find equal quality organic foods at a lesser price, in fact so far as I can tell a lot of their fruit and vegetable providers are the from same farms like Driscoll and the like. And if I really want produce so fresh it tastes like dirt I can always hit Trader Joe's.

So from my point of view some of their competitors have improved to the degree thatI could easily live without it ... although it's nice to have the option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
The WF in MP is five minutes away from me and I hardly ever go. The only real reason is if I need something very gastronomically eclectic or a particular vitamin and they're the only ones who have it.

I used to go all the time when we lived in DC, but they were taking so much business out of the other supermarkets that their competitors were forced to up their game, especially in the produce and prepared foods departments. In this way WF has served a huge purpose and now I can go to publix and for the most find equal quality organic foods at a lesser price, in fact so far as I can tell a lot of their fruit and vegetable providers are the from same farms like Driscoll and the like. And if I really want produce so fresh it tastes like dirt I can always hit Trader Joe's.

So from my point of view some of their competitors have improved to the degree thatI could easily live without it ... although it's nice to have the option.
Great points Im a clean eating junkie, so I support WF and all stores who mimic their style.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
The WF in MP is five minutes away from me and I hardly ever go. The only real reason is if I need something gastronomically very eclectic or a particular vitamin and they're the only ones who have it.

I used to go all the time when we lived in DC, but they were taking so much business out of the other supermarkets that their competitors were forced to up their game, especially in the produce and prepared foods departments. In this way WF has served a huge purpose and now I can go to publix and for the most find equal quality organic foods at a lesser price, in fact so far as I can tell a lot of their fruit and vegetable providers are the from same farms like Driscoll and the like. And if I really want produce so fresh it tastes like dirt I can always hit Trader Joe's.

Yes!!!!! Someone here smart enough to realize the competitive advantage for customers when it comes to a saturated grocery market!

Old 03-08-2014, 07:35 AM

259 posts, read 454,227 times
I enjoy going to WF. Do not cook much so its basically grab n go for me and those are not more
$ than HT or Publix. Go often for lunch during the wk and its a white and blue collar mix.
Service is always great, although its clear we are not an "A" store since its a small city.

Check out the fancy WFs in Charlotte and Atlanta! I get so jealous!

Although they are moving into smaller markets: savannah and my hometown of hilton head are both
getting a store each.

I do not see chas getting a second store for a long time, metro is too small. And they mainly
go in near the highest concentration of upscale neighborhoods. Being in Mt P., near Downtown,and
Daniel Island, they got it covered.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:40 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftaway123 View Post
I do not see chas getting a second store for a long time, metro is too small. And they mainly go in near the highest concentration of upscale neighborhoods. Being in Mt P., near Downtown,and Daniel Island, they got it covered.
They already had a second location that closed (not sure why and it would only be an assumption if I made a guess).

All a person can do is lobby for a store near them...go for it.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:29 AM

259 posts, read 454,227 times
I think you mean the Earthfare that failed at Town Center yrs ago.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:08 AM

For those that buy into the organic food hype:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amL...e_gdata_player

Old 03-08-2014, 01:49 PM

Rory, I didn't used to believe the organic food hype either. But, I tried it. And I can honestly say I feel much better. My workouts are a bit better, I recover quicker, and to me the food just tastes better.

Now....I know there may be a placebo effect. But for now, I can afford the tad bit of extra money, and I feel better, so I'm going with it.

I've tried free range grass fed organic beef, then try the standard Wal-Mart or Publix/BI-LO meat. To me, its night and day different, far better taste.

But, I do agree its a bit overblown. The thicker the peel on the fruit is, the less it matters. I buy my oranges and bananas from Wal Mart. Apples and berries only organic from WF or Harris Teeter. My meat is ONLY free range, grass fed stuff.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Rory, I didn't used to believe the organic food hype either. But, I tried it. And I can honestly say I feel much better. My workouts are a bit better, I recover quicker, and to me the food just tastes better.

Now....I know there may be a placebo effect. But for now, I can afford the tad bit of extra money, and I feel better, so I'm going with it.

I've tried free range grass fed organic beef, then try the standard Wal-Mart or Publix/BI-LO meat. To me, its night and day different, far better taste.

But, I do agree its a bit overblown. The thicker the peel on the fruit is, the less it matters. I buy my oranges and bananas from Wal Mart. Apples and berries only organic from WF or Harris Teeter. My meat is ONLY free range, grass fed stuff.
If you didn't watch the episode I posted, it's definitely entertaining.

Studies have shown that only Magnesium levels differed between organic produce and the other stuff (when it comes to nutrients) Studies have also shown that when measuring taste, people generally picked the other stuff. (those aren't in the episode, just things I've read over the years)

This one is a funny one: Does food taste better when we think it's organic? - NY Daily News

^ Essentially just labeling it organic makes people perceive it tastes better! Ha!

My psych background just pushes me to believe in the power of the mind. One can make themselves think they are healthier, things taste better, etc. just with their head.

It's also funny that most of the organic food on the market today comes from China. That's changing, sure, but it just amazes me that people buy into organic food, Apple electronic devices, and craft beer just based on the way they are marketed. I'd laugh for days straight if they came out with a fraud case that grocery stores were just labeling things organic when they weren't.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
If you didn't watch the episode I posted, it's definitely entertaining.

Studies have shown that only Magnesium levels differed between organic produce and the other stuff (when it comes to nutrients) Studies have also shown that when measuring taste, people generally picked the other stuff. (those aren't in the episode, just things I've read over the years)

This one is a funny one: Does food taste better when we think it's organic? - NY Daily News

^ Essentially just labeling it organic makes people perceive it tastes better! Ha!

My psych background just pushes me to believe in the power of the mind. One can make themselves think they are healthier, things taste better, etc. just with their head.

It's also funny that most of the organic food on the market today comes from China. That's changing, sure, but it just amazes me that people buy into organic food, Apple electronic devices, and craft beer just based on the way they are marketed. I'd laugh for days straight if they came out with a fraud case that grocery stores were just labeling things organic when they weren't.
Oh yeah, I was a sociology major, so I to pay attention to the mental part of it. And I do believe there is some mental and placebo affect with organic stuff. However, magnesium is very good for the body, and hard to get from supplements. It basically balances the cells out and helps flush sodium out of the body. Pill form is an option, but the body often sees a pill as a rock and will flush it out too, so the food version of a vitamin is always better than the pill form. Almonds are good source, and organic almond butter is a staple in my kitchen.

I agree, the berries and most other organic fruits/veggies taste the same as non-organic, I just buy organic because....well maybe like you said, mental.

BUT, I'll still argue that organic, grass fed meat does in fact taste much better. Just my two cent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area