Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 09:11 AM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Do you know if these will be luxury units? Or could they be more affordable for the average Charlestonian? My guess is the former considering the value of the land.

I have no idea, but 442 units is a lot of units, more than any other project currently under construction downtown or being planned. So I guessing the building will be 8-9 floors enveloping a parking garage. I am more curious if a grocery store is being planned for the development. Hopefully the project will be going before the BAR soon and more info will become available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 05:44 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
I was just talking to one of the engineers on that project, now called Westedge (formerly called The Horizon Project). According to him, the plan is for the police dept to stay there for about 5 years at which point it will be moved to a new site and the space will become more retail/offices/residence.
Wow, the courts and license building is only about ten years old and the old building was renovated at that time too.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:51 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
Citadel Mall is apparently under contract. Unfortunately, I don't have any further info.
Just seeing this now in the Post, you must have the inside track.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:32 PM

309 posts, read 257,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Just seeing this now in the Post, you must have the inside track.
Ha! I have an inside-ish track. It's not as inside as I'd like...considering I still have no idea who the potential buyer is. The last I heard it was a "southern developer." I'm not even sure whether that's accurate anymore.

But it also sounds like we'll be getting an announcement soon.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:37 PM

268 posts, read 281,192 times
So will the buyer go along with the revitalization or leave it as the same boring mall?

Old 01-27-2017, 11:12 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinatic8u View Post
So will the buyer go along with the revitalization or leave it as the same boring mall?
A full bulldoze I hope. Sans Target, Dillards, Belk, and JCP.

A Streets at Southpoint in Durham or North Hills in Raleigh type development is what I hope they strive for. Greenville successfully transformed the old Greenville Mall, no reason Charleston can't do it. A Topgolf would be awesome there but it likely wouldn't fit. Just get creative with it and bring some exclusives to the area.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:00 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
I worked next to the mall for a year and a half and never went in.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:20 AM

309 posts, read 257,916 times
The anchor stores will not be included in the sale. They each own their parcels.

There's a possibility Sears will sell to the developer, but I have not heard anything beyond speculation. Sears is having major cash flow problems on a corporate level, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them sell. (The Northwoods Sears is currently downsizing to make room for another low-end retailer.)

I do know the City is encouraging the potential developer to redevelop the site. I don't know how closely a developer can or will follow the redevelopment plan the City released a few years ago.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:15 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,921 times
Not sure if the aquatic center is still on the table but if the city has any sway in the mall's future, it won't be the "same boring mall" that it is now. The existing big retailers wouldn't want to see that either. The opportunity for West Ashley right now is huge and it's largely the city's role to help it happen or screw it up. I think Mayor Tecklenberg gets that and the future is looking pretty bright.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:00 PM

268 posts, read 281,192 times
I live in Summerville, so I don't need Citadel to shop, but it would be nice to see the city move that side of town into modern times and rival some of the upper echelon shopping malls in state and around the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area