Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2021, 09:46 AM

12,891 posts, read 18,748,565 times

Advertisements

Finally came up after it automatically repeated the download process five times, taking an excruciatingly long time to download each time. But it was so fragile that when I scrolled down, it blanked out and went back to the beginning of the download process again. I don’t think it’s an issue with my phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 10:30 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,686,741 times
It's 364 MB. Probably too much to load.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:45 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,065,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Finally came up after it automatically repeated the download process five times, taking an excruciatingly long time to download each time. But it was so fragile that when I scrolled down, it blanked out and went back to the beginning of the download process again. I don’t think it’s an issue with my phone.

Even on my super duper wired Internet circuit here at my office it takes awhile to load. When you scroll down and the pages are blank it's simply still downloading so just stop and let it catch up and images will start to appear on your screen.

With 2 big projects on this week's BAR agenda there's lots of images so yes it's a big PDF document.

Old 07-29-2021, 05:32 PM

578 Meeting Street denied by BAR for Large Projects -

The BAR said the developer(s)/architects made no effort to have the building relate to Charleston, holding the line on their recently adopted guidelines for large projects, including upper floors and rooflines. Great news. The tide has turned, and already-constructed or approved large buildings that don’t meet the updated rules won’t be great enough in number to alter the overall character of the city, and actually will largely complement and recall the Cigar Factory. Back to the drawing board.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:

The BAR said the developer(s)/architects made no effort to have the building relate to Charleston, holding the line on their recently adopted guidelines for large projects, including upper floors and rooflines. Great news. The tide has turned, and already-constructed or approved large buildings that don’t meet the updated rules won’t be great enough in number to alter the overall character of the city, and actually will largely complement and recall the Cigar Factory. Back to the drawing board.
But now I can’t find the article about the denial anywhere. I know I saw it.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:

BAR-L rarely if ever gives conceptual approval at the first review on projects of any size.

Separately, 411 Meeting preliminary approval was deferred due to lack of information on some exterior building material but in time approval will be given as the BAR likes the overall plans. I didn't catch this before but all parking for the project is underground. I need to go back and look at the plans again. That's a big project by Charleston standards.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
BAR-L rarely if ever gives conceptual approval at the first review on projects of any size.

Separately, 411 Meeting preliminary approval was deferred due to lack of information on some exterior building material but in time approval will be given as the BAR likes the overall plans. I didn't catch this before but all parking for the project is underground. I need to go back and look at the plans again. That's a big project by Charleston standards.
Yes, I know hardly anything is approved on the first try, but 578 Meeting was described as not even trying to relate to Charleston and as not meeting specific, recently adopted guidelines. While I found the rendering that accompanied the article that I now can’t locate attractive enough generally speaking, the denial was cited in the article as being an example of the BAR holding the line on their new aesthetics demands.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Are you talking about the hotel that was to be at Meeting and Huger Streets? That was a great looking contemporary building that the BAR shot down. From what I remember the BAR suggested they look at three hotels of their (BAR) picking from somewhere else that were very bland and ugly in my opinion. So the hotel design was redone, but it didn't fly thank goodness.
I certainly think that a nice looking contemporary building that far up Meeting St. would have looked great.

The proposed hotel (ALOFT?) at 600 Meeting St is on the Aug 13 TRC agenda.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:11 AM

Maybe already mentioned here before, but a 8-story hotel is being proposed for 131 Columbus St. This is The Alley building and next door to the UHAUL place.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:40 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Maybe already mentioned here before, but a 8-story hotel is being proposed for 131 Columbus St. This is The Alley building and next door to the UHAUL place.
Why all the hotels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area