Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2024, 09:22 PM

3,871 posts, read 4,615,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
The busses we see on the roads now do fine. Adding a lot more frequency would lead to fewer cars on the road. If I knew all I to do was wait another 10 to 15 if I didn’t leave my home to walk to my corner bus stop in time to catch one bus, no big deal. Another one would be there shortly.

More routes that wouldn’t each try to be all things to all bus riders in a large sections of the metro, but instead get more people where they want to go with more direct routes would be another component in getting more people to take advantage of PT. The rapid bus transit line that is coming amidst naysayers’ doubts about its arrival and success will be an example of how dedicated bus lines work. We can either have a po dunk attitude about urban public transit or we can hope the system grows and moves a lot more people.
As I see it, buses slow down traffic with their stop and go nature more than they speed it up through taking drivers off the roads. That might not be the case if the buses didn't make many stops but then that would require riders to get to a terminal point sort of like I suggested above and that would need to happen at both ends of their ride. An added dedicated bus lane is a pipe dream for most of Charleston's arteries. It will be interesting to see if it works on that rapid transit line but I don't think that's feasible in most places.

You can call it a podunk attitude but I think common sense needs to be considered. Traffic is the foremost everyday local problem on most people's minds here and if there was a solution as easy as buses, I'm pretty sure more of it would be in process by now. The rapid transit line is being implemented in one of the few places where it could work and I hope it's a great success. It will be great for someone living close to the route and working at the medical complex but I don't see it being replicated for someone living in West Ashley or Mt P for instance. And if you don't work at the medical complex, say you work on Broad St or the east side, what are you supposed to do at the end of the line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 04:08 AM

12,973 posts, read 18,828,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
As I see it, buses slow down traffic with their stop and go nature more than they speed it up through taking drivers off the roads. That might not be the case if the buses didn't make many stops but then that would require riders to get to a terminal point sort of like I suggested above and that would need to happen at both ends of their ride. An added dedicated bus lane is a pipe dream for most of Charleston's arteries. It will be interesting to see if it works on that rapid transit line but I don't think that's feasible in most places.

You can call it a podunk attitude but I think common sense needs to be considered. Traffic is the foremost everyday local problem on most people's minds here and if there was a solution as easy as buses, I'm pretty sure more of it would be in process by now. The rapid transit line is being implemented in one of the few places where it could work and I hope it's a great success. It will be great for someone living close to the route and working at the medical complex but I don't see it being replicated for someone living in West Ashley or Mt P for instance. And if you don't work at the medical complex, say you work on Broad St or the east side, what are you supposed to do at the end of the line?
Actually, just a few days ago I read about the possibility of eventual expansion of RBT from Mount Pleasant to West Ashley. Sounds like a winner. I believe it was an editorial. Full busses would cut enough cars to make a difference. I’m a glass half full-not glass half empty person. Charleston can be more cosmo, I have no doubt. There will always be those who would like busses and other forms of public transportation to just go away.

Old 05-02-2024, 02:54 PM

315 posts, read 262,487 times
Quote:
Not sure if I'm lumped in that group but I've given reasons as to why I think various forms of public transportation won't work. Mainly because there isn't room on most of our clogged arteries to put in place without having a negative effect on general traffic flow. And also, that it's a tough sell given the inconveniences that come with PT. What are your thoughts on how it would work? How will busses with dedicated bus lanes not clog up arteries like 17? How would you convince a large enough % of the population to use PT vs sitting for a similar amount of time in their comfortable cars that they take directly to and from their home all the while carrying all of the miscellaneous stuff we tend to lug around?
For at over half of the route, the busses will be in dedicated bus lanes. Traffic lights will be synced with the busses so that immediately after a stop, they are able to leave. Stops will be in the center of the road. At least in this section, there should be minimal impact to vehicular traffic. I do not know what the plans are for the areas where the BRT vehicles will share lanes with vehicular traffic.

I predict ridership to grow slowly, but steadily. All it will take is a few days of 60+ minute commutes along 26 to at least get people to try it. It also depends on weather and how far people are willing to walk to their destination downtown. There are stops planned in close proximity to Marion Square, CofC, MUSC, The Joe & Johnson Hagood.

I would love to see an east-west route connecting West Ashley to Mt Pleasant. I know there is space for it in West Ashley along Sam Ritt. Less so on Savannah Highway. I have no idea where it could go in Mt. Pleasant. At one time there was talk of adding provision for sort of public transportation to the side of the Ravenel Bridge. With that bridge nearing capacity, I don't know what their options are.

I'd also love to see a route connecting the suburbs and downtown to the airport. I wish they would coordinate with the SCDOT to add this as part of widening 526. A connection to the offices on Daniel Island is also desperately needed.

I'm excited about this. I live West Ashley, so I don't forsee myself having many opportunities to use it.

Old 05-02-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
For at over half of the route, the busses will be in dedicated bus lanes. Traffic lights will be synced with the busses so that immediately after a stop, they are able to leave. Stops will be in the center of the road. At least in this section, there should be minimal impact to vehicular traffic. I do not know what the plans are for the areas where the BRT vehicles will share lanes with vehicular traffic.

I predict ridership to grow slowly, but steadily. All it will take is a few days of 60+ minute commutes along 26 to at least get people to try it. It also depends on weather and how far people are willing to walk to their destination downtown. There are stops planned in close proximity to Marion Square, CofC, MUSC, The Joe & Johnson Hagood.

I would love to see an east-west route connecting West Ashley to Mt Pleasant. I know there is space for it in West Ashley along Sam Ritt. Less so on Savannah Highway. I have no idea where it could go in Mt. Pleasant. At one time there was talk of adding provision for sort of public transportation to the side of the Ravenel Bridge. With that bridge nearing capacity, I don't know what their options are.

I'd also love to see a route connecting the suburbs and downtown to the airport. I wish they would coordinate with the SCDOT to add this as part of widening 526. A connection to the offices on Daniel Island is also desperately needed.

I'm excited about this. I live West Ashley, so I don't forsee myself having many opportunities to use it.
I can see the RBT possibly working on the planned route only because it will have a dedicated lane. Maybe that could be done on Sam Ritt in West Ashley but that's not where the real problem traffic is.

I think buses within the city can possibly work. But folks are too spread out in the burbs to make it feasible. Imagine they could put an RBT line on Sam Ritt... who is it going to serve? Folks who live within a few blocks of Sam Ritt? Otherwise people will have to drive to the bus and back. Then where does it go to downtown? It would have to criss cross the city multiple times (slowing down traffic) to get folks within a reasonable distance of where they need to be.

Old 05-03-2024, 04:26 PM

I don’t major on the minors. A TV news article I shared somewhere in these threads today speaks of infill development within the established urban boundary, along with RBT as components of catching up on our metro’s severe housing shortage that has come back to bite us on the arse. Putting bus service in currently strewn-out stretches would be futile. Establishing viable routes as the built environment becomes denser as a result of infill development is the plan.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:10 AM

315 posts, read 262,487 times
Quote:
I can see the RBT possibly working on the planned route only because it will have a dedicated lane. Maybe that could be done on Sam Ritt in West Ashley but that's not where the real problem traffic is.

I think buses within the city can possibly work. But folks are too spread out in the burbs to make it feasible. Imagine they could put an RBT line on Sam Ritt... who is it going to serve? Folks who live within a few blocks of Sam Ritt? Otherwise people will have to drive to the bus and back. Then where does it go to downtown? It would have to criss cross the city multiple times (slowing down traffic) to get folks within a reasonable distance of where they need to be.
At least along Sam Ritt, it would serve the people living/shopping/working at the planned Citadel Mall redevelopment, the redevelopment planned for Ashley Landing/Sumar Street, and the redevelopment of the Navy base. The Sam Ritt corridor is perfect for this.

-----

I have no idea when an announcement about the mall redevelopment will come. But I understand they have reached an agreement with the ACOE and City about stormwater management. We should see that part come before City Council soon.

Allegedly, Mayor Cogswell has asked Faison to look at the entirety of the Ashley Landings and Sumar parcels for redevelopment. I have no idea where that currently stands, but the mayor seems to be supportive of more residential untis there. The irony is the City purchased the Sumar parcel from Faison under the threat of eminent domain. The city will owe Landmark at least $600,000 to be let out of the contract for the previous Sumar redevelopment plan. I suspect there will be lawsuits.

That being said, the Publix relocation is on track. Demolition of Dollar Tree to Big Lots should happen at the end of 2024, with Big Lots and Dollar Tree closing this fall.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:55 PM

Gorgeous recent footage of Charleston

https://youtu.be/DHMw-X97ye8?si=ydMRRXtM2oE9vDcm

Old 05-06-2024, 09:58 AM

5,291 posts, read 6,233,637 times
Quote:

I think buses within the city can possibly work. But folks are too spread out in the burbs to make it feasible. Imagine they could put an RBT line on Sam Ritt... who is it going to serve? Folks who live within a few blocks of Sam Ritt? Otherwise, people will have to drive to the bus and back. Then where does it go to downtown? It would have to criss cross the city multiple times (slowing down traffic) to get folks within a reasonable distance of where they need to be.
Downtown already has a shuttle on loop running King/Meeting, maybe East Bay from the visitor center. And there are buses looping Calhoun since CofC and MUSC string so many offices/classes along there. If they could do a Broad/Beaufain, Wentworth/Calhoun, Spring/Cannon parings E/W then have King/Meeting/Lockwood/Rutledge/Morrison-East Bat loops that would be very comprehensive. But the question is what the numbers are.

I take the bus to work from W Ashley probably 6-12 times per year but live 2-3 blocks from both 61 and 17 which makes that easier. Even with that- Savannah Hwy routes start about an hour later than 61 so that probably makes them less desirable for people who could take the bus but don't have to.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Downtown already has a shuttle on loop running King/Meeting, maybe East Bay from the visitor center. And there are buses looping Calhoun since CofC and MUSC string so many offices/classes along there. If they could do a Broad/Beaufain, Wentworth/Calhoun, Spring/Cannon parings E/W then have King/Meeting/Lockwood/Rutledge/Morrison-East Bat loops that would be very comprehensive. But the question is what the numbers are.

I take the bus to work from W Ashley probably 6-12 times per year but live 2-3 blocks from both 61 and 17 which makes that easier. Even with that- Savannah Hwy routes start about an hour later than 61 so that probably makes them less desirable for people who could take the bus but don't have to.
I'd think inner city bus routes would work better just because it's a much denser population.

Old 05-07-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I'd think inner city bus routes would work better just because it's a much denser population.
And as the city and immediate areas surrounding it become denser farther from the core, bus service will be expanded into those areas. When areas even farther out become denser, same thing. No one’s trying to establish bus service at the end of sprawl’s long fingers. Perhaps some experimental routes come and go for those long stretches, and maybe some of them have stuck or will stick, but in general, mass transit efficiency comes with density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area