Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2024, 10:01 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,874,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
You claim facts, then post an opinion piece.

Mass transit doesn’t sell well in the South.
Some parts of the sourh. I think the way charleston is situated it will work here. Aome cities in the south like Atlanta Charlotte Miami it works but places like Greensboro, Jacksonville, Orlando, it sucks bad. Charleston and Savannah are the two only smaller cities I can see it in because there is alot of foot traffic already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Wrong, you presented your opinion and tried to back it up with someone else's opinion. I lived in Atlanta. Despite a robust public transit system, the roads are still packed all the time. No way in the world that CARTA will be better than MARTA.

526 needs to be 6 lanes AND the exits need to be multi lane. That's my opinion.
I wouldnt call marta robust and Atlanta for its size has lack of highways. Marta is also not as good as it should be. Marta should be in all directions. Marta only goes inner belt expect for the line that goes to sandy springs and most of your traffic is coming from outer belt. There is also alot of desd areas within the inner belt it doesn't travel to

Old 04-27-2024, 06:05 AM

3,870 posts, read 4,614,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Some parts of the sourh. I think the way charleston is situated it will work here. Aome cities in the south like Atlanta Charlotte Miami it works but places like Greensboro, Jacksonville, Orlando, it sucks bad. Charleston and Savannah are the two only smaller cities I can see it in because there is alot of foot traffic already.
I don't see how it would work in much of Charleston. There isn't room for a dedicated bus lane and adding busses to the existing traffic, with their stop and go nature, would only seem to slow traffic down more. Everyone hates getting stuck behind a bus.

I could see having something similar to collectivos as found in some countries (ie, MX). Folks would drive to a parking area and board something like a Sprinter van which would take them directly to their destination. Sort of like Amazon dropping off packages. It would be interesting to see how many folks would use such a service.

Old 04-27-2024, 06:30 AM

12,966 posts, read 18,821,931 times
Quote:
Wrong, you presented your opinion and tried to back it up with someone else's opinion. I lived in Atlanta. Despite a robust public transit system, the roads are still packed all the time. No way in the world that CARTA will be better than MARTA.

526 needs to be 6 lanes AND the exits need to be multi lane. That's my opinion.
Trying to prove my point? Atlanta is sprawl on steroids egged on by major road expansions and the defeat of a major mass transit referendum, exactly what I don’t want happen here.

Old 04-27-2024, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
I don't see how it would work in much of Charleston. There isn't room for a dedicated bus lane and adding busses to the existing traffic, with their stop and go nature, would only seem to slow traffic down more. Everyone hates getting stuck behind a bus.

I could see having something similar to collectivos as found in some countries (ie, MX). Folks would drive to a parking area and board something like a Sprinter van which would take them directly to their destination. Sort of like Amazon dropping off packages. It would be interesting to see how many folks would use such a service.
No room needed. I have watch other cities build upwards especially in already high density areas. I wouldnt want to build ground level here anyways especially downtown because of flooding.

I know it's a pipe dream because money is involved but it can happen and has been happening

Old 04-27-2024, 06:39 AM

Quote:
You claim facts, then post an opinion piece.

Mass transit doesn’t sell well in the South.
Generally thats correct but also remember most people moving to chas area are from bigger cities with light rail, subways etc so they are use to using it and me personally if I needed to get downtown especially at a certain time I would hop on with no issue.

Old 04-27-2024, 07:23 AM

3,870 posts, read 4,614,431 times
Quote:
No room needed. I have watch other cities build upwards especially in already high density areas. I wouldnt want to build ground level here anyways especially downtown because of flooding.

I know it's a pipe dream because money is involved but it can happen and has been happening
I wasn't talking about building upwards but about mass transit working in Charleston. I could maybe see it if it were a monorail or something that didn't try to take up space on the already overcrowded streets, but I think we'll see "beam me somewhere, Scotty" before we see monorail in Charleston.

I'm kind of surprised to see all of the building going on downtown considering the increasing flooding issues. Humans...

Old 04-27-2024, 08:42 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 1 day ago)

5,735 posts, read 4,724,666 times
Quote:
The way Charleston is situated is exactly the reason it will not work. You going to shut down a lane in either direction on major thoroughfares to allow a bus with 10 people on it to move more quickly. There is no foot traffic from from downtown going out.

Quote:
I wouldnt call marta robust and Atlanta for its size has lack of highways. Marta is also not as good as it should be. Marta should be in all directions. Marta only goes inner belt expect for the line that goes to sandy springs and most of your traffic is coming from outer belt. There is also alot of desd areas within the inner belt it doesn't travel to
MARTA has, by far, the best public transit in the South. It still doesn't work and loses money continually despite have a 1/2 cent sales tax to help fund it.

https://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedFil...mMap2017_w.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
You hope it'll prevent people from moving here and i guarantee we'll see you bitching up not enough being done about traffic after doing your part to prevent roads from being built. And that's not even getting in to you being in favor of more immigration over on the South Carolina at large forum. It's the standard argument of people who want something to be done but don't want to make sure it won't actually impact them at all.
Exactly this. It's pie in the sky thinking that if people were just smart enough to listen to "us", everything would be fine. Everywhere has sprawl. People want to be outside of the city with access to the amenities that cities offer. That's why you have things like Mount Pleasant Town Center.

Old 04-27-2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
The way Charleston is situated is exactly the reason it will not work. You going to shut down a lane in either direction on major thoroughfares to allow a bus with 10 people on it to move more quickly. There is no foot traffic from from downtown going out.

MARTA has, by far, the best public transit in the South. It still doesn't work and loses money continually despite have a 1/2 cent sales tax to help fund it.

https://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedFil...mMap2017_w.pdf.
The south is behind as far as public transportation. That was always a north thing. Now southern cities and western cities are catching on. Dallas had been doing an awesome job. Houston, Miami , even Charlotte light rail has improved over the past couple of years.

I'm not talking about taking awY lanes. I'm talking about building upwards. Separately like states are doing now

Old 04-27-2024, 01:56 PM

12,966 posts, read 18,821,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
I wasn't talking about building upwards but about mass transit working in Charleston. I could maybe see it if it were a monorail or something that didn't try to take up space on the already overcrowded streets, but I think we'll see "beam me somewhere, Scotty" before we see monorail in Charleston.

I'm kind of surprised to see all of the building going on downtown considering the increasing flooding issues. Humans...
There’s gobs and gobs more room to build on the peninsula without flooding being an issue. Granted there are areas of the peninsula that should not have been built on, and filled wetlands that should have never been filled. Take the market, for instance. It used to be a creek.

The City’s pending plan to stick to higher elevations away from the water should have been in place a long time ago, like centuries ago. But city lots that can be developed and large lots now overgrown with weeds behind broken down chain link fences are prime and screaming for infill development. We’ll get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area