Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:52 AM

14 posts, read 13,049 times

Advertisements

Hello! My fiance and I are getting married and looking to move to Charleston within a year. We spent a year in the Carolina Bay division of West Ashley, and while we did love the area and the look/style of houses, we spent a lot of time traveling to DT and the beaches (and the James County Dog park ). We're hoping for a 3 bed, 2 bath home (could be Charleston style or ranch). Hoping to stay under $400k. I know once we have a family we would like to be in the Mt. Pleasant area, but for now, it seems like James Island would be a great fit for us (less traffic, more options for our budget, easy to get to downtown without going on the Ravenel, and fun Folly). We are both 25.

Does anyone have suggestions for neighborhoods/subdivisions that are family friendly/younger? Even being in an older neighborhood would be okay too. We are mostly just looking for a quiet, safe, friendly place with bigger than a postage stamp size yard. Think "Byrnes Down" but on James Island.

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to hanging up our snow shoes/winter coats (moving down from New England), but then again, maybe we'll be trading them for paddleboards and canoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 09:23 AM

184 posts, read 216,209 times
Regarding neighborhoods on James Island, here are a few possibilities:

Seaside Plantation
Stiles Point
Stonefield
Riverland Terrace
Lighthouse Point

Old 10-06-2015, 07:52 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,246 times
Find one that doesn't flood.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:57 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb627 View Post
Hello! My fiance and I are getting married and looking to move to Charleston within a year. We spent a year in the Carolina Bay division of West Ashley, and while we did love the area and the look/style of houses, we spent a lot of time traveling to DT and the beaches (and the James County Dog park ). We're hoping for a 3 bed, 2 bath home (could be Charleston style or ranch). Hoping to stay under $400k. I know once we have a family we would like to be in the Mt. Pleasant area, but for now, it seems like James Island would be a great fit for us (less traffic, more options for our budget, easy to get to downtown without going on the Ravenel, and fun Folly). We are both 25.

Does anyone have suggestions for neighborhoods/subdivisions that are family friendly/younger? Even being in an older neighborhood would be okay too. We are mostly just looking for a quiet, safe, friendly place with bigger than a postage stamp size yard. Think "Byrnes Down" but on James Island.

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to hanging up our snow shoes/winter coats (moving down from New England), but then again, maybe we'll be trading them for paddleboards and canoes.
I wouldn't dismiss MTP so quickly ... especially if you plan to live there in the future...you certainly can find some nice housing in your current price range in some of the older sections of town ...one suggestion would be Wando Lakes ...where homes run in the 300k to 350k range.... nice neighborhood ... young families ... good school encatchment area. My nephew with 2 kids moved down from CT almost 3 years ago ... bought a 4 /2...nice sized yard... for 270k ...and whoops surprise ... the third little darlin' showed up ...bought elsewhere in MTP .. and sold the original home for 335k ... after 9 days on the market with multiple bids.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemcreek View Post
Regarding neighborhoods on James Island, here are a few possibilities:

Seaside Plantation
Stiles Point
Stonefield
Riverland Terrace
Lighthouse Point
Thank you! These are all great suggestions.

I have found a few great priced homes on James Island and am curious about the area. There seem to be a good amount of homes under $300k in the triangle shaped area between Folly Road, Camp Road and Fort Johnson Road. Is this an area to avoid?

Old 10-06-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lisat View Post
Find one that doesn't flood.
Right?! I have been trying to search by address on the FEMA website, but something is going on and it isn't showing any zones. We are definitely going to try to avoid flood zones. I know it's pretty rare to get a no flood zone home on James Island.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
I wouldn't dismiss MTP so quickly ... especially if you plan to live there in the future...you certainly can find some nice housing in your current price range in some of the older sections of town ...one suggestion would be Wando Lakes ...where homes run in the 300k to 350k range.... nice neighborhood ... young families ... good school encatchment area. My nephew with 2 kids moved down from CT almost 3 years ago ... bought a 4 /2...nice sized yard... for 270k ...and whoops surprise ... the third little darlin' showed up ...bought elsewhere in MTP .. and sold the original home for 335k ... after 9 days on the market with multiple bids.
Hello! Thank you so much for your post! I just looked up Wando Lakes and honestly that seems perfect for us. Close to DT and the beaches, as well as the town center which is a huge plus. Only problem is...no houses for sale! It must be a pretty amazing neighborhood since no one is going anywhere

Do you have any other suggestions for neighborhoods in Mt Pleasant closer to DT like Wando Lakes?

Thank you again!

Old 10-06-2015, 10:07 AM

184 posts, read 216,209 times
I have found a few great priced homes on James Island and am curious about the area. There seem to be a good amount of homes under $300k in the triangle shaped area between Folly Road, Camp Road and Fort Johnson Road. Is this an area to avoid?

I can't answer that question, maybe someone on the forum here would be willing to share their experience. My last experience in that area was back in the early 1990's when I lived near there off Sea Aire Drive and would ride my bike out to Folly after work, when there was less traffic out that way. Good times!

Do you have any other suggestions for neighborhoods in Mt Pleasant closer to DT like Wando Lakes?

You are right, but there are still a few homes in the 29464 zip code under $400,000. You can occasionally find homes in this price range over in the neighborhoods off Whipple Road and Mathis Ferry.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb627 View Post
Hello! Thank you so much for your post! I just looked up Wando Lakes and honestly that seems perfect for us. Close to DT and the beaches, as well as the town center which is a huge plus. Only problem is...no houses for sale! It must be a pretty amazing neighborhood since no one is going anywhere

Thank you again!
Thanks .... Im not a broker but there are a number of them on this site.... Id suggest you contact a broker ... let them know what your looking for .. and where youre interested in ...the market here starts to pick up in February ...especially where there are lots of school aged kids... ie Wando lakes and areas like that ...( school transfer issues ).... now for reality .... since you mention that you are planning to move a year from now .... brokers while they will be helpful at this point .. good ones will .... the housing market in the Charleston metro .. is tight ... and good homes located in good areas ... move fast...so a buyer would have to move fast as well...so don't expect a broker to serve you when he/she has a potential client standing in front of them... ready to buy... waiving a checkbook .

An oft recommended strategy is to rent for a year when you do come down ...giving you time to ascertain what and where you would like to settle.. unless of course you find something that is perfect....lol

Im not sure I can give you names of brokers according to this sites TOS....but making a visit ... and meeting some ...should be helpful.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:05 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
You can find what you're looking for in Mt Pleasant but the same number of dollars will buy more house on James Island generally. It's a bit of a different feel though and you should check out both to see how you like it. Same for the respective beaches... the atmosphere at Sullivan's Island and IOP is different from that at Folly Beach.

I live on James Isl in the area down Harborview Road and it doesn't get much more convenient to downtown and the beach. There are top rated schools over this way as well and the house values have been rising at a similar pace. It really depends on how you like the feel of each area and just how much house you want for your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: