Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 02:49 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Well then, I wish the preservationists would all move to Jedburg, or Ridgeland, enjoy all the woods and forest.
Thats to close. Tell them to move to montana where they dont have to worry about roads being built at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:10 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Here's an example of an area on the coast (Tidewater, Va.) , and what tolls can do. Look how much money the projects cost! They are doing all this with tolls. 526 could be built next year easy.

Under a new road funding proposal, Tidewater could see more tolls by 2022. (More than $13 Billion dollars!)

They would help pay for several major projects, including a new High-Rise Bridge; the Third Crossing; added capacity on the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel and Interstate 64; and a U.S. 460/58 connector. Total cost for the projects: more than $13 billion.

The Hampton Roads Transportation Accountability Commission will hear the full report today at its 12:30 p.m. meeting. HRTAC, a board created in 2014 to oversee a pot of transportation money set aside for Hampton Roads, will hear from a private consultant who concocted six ways to help pay for the projects:

1. A $2 toll on the Third Crossing, which would connect Norfolk and Portsmouth to the Monitor-Merrimac via Craney Island.

2. High-occupancy tolls, which apply to single-occupant vehicles in lanes marked for ones with multiple passengers, on existing I-64 HOV lanes, the High-Rise Bridge, the HRBT, the Monitor-Merrimac and the Route 460/58 connector, and a $2 toll on the Third Crossing.

3. $1 tolls on the High-Rise Bridge, Patriots Crossing (a bridge-tunnel segment of the Third Crossing that would tie into the Monitor-Merrimac), HRBT, Monitor-Merrimac and high-occupancy toll lanes on the connector.

4. $2 tolls on the High-Rise Bridge, Patriots Crossing, HRBT, Monitor-Merrimac and high-occupancy tolllanes on the connector.

5. A $1.50 peak toll and $1 off-peak toll on the HRBT in addition to scenario three.

6. A $3 peak toll and $2 off-peak toll on the HRBT in addition to scenario four.

The tolls are in 2015 dollars. With inflation, a $1 toll could be as much as $1.28, and a $3 toll could be $3.84 by the time they would start in 2025. A commuter from the Peninsula to Norfolk paying the peak toll inflated to $3.84 would pay more than $1,900 to get to work in 2025.

Even with the tolls, all scenarios would require hundreds of millions to billions of dollars in help from the state, bonds and other revenue streams.

The best scenario might be to toll all lanes with peak pricing, David Miller of PFM Group said in an October meeting. Miller and his team were contracted by an HRTAC committee dedicated to finding funding strategies for Hampton Roads projects.

The proposal comes after the area’s transportation pot, called the Hampton Roads Transportation Fund, was reduced by $2 billion through 2040 because of bad gas tax revenue forecasts.

But decisions are still a ways off. The plan will be voted on at an HRTAC meeting in the near future. Decisions are based on a two-thirds majority vote of the commission, representing at least two-thirds of the region’s population.

The tolling scenario covers construction of all major projects, which might not happen. The consultant also did not look at options such as public-private partnerships similar to Elizabeth River Crossings.
You make a lot of sense to me. It's just that folks here don't want change and hate progressiveness.
Just one of the reasons why Charleston was one of the top 5 cities in the country in the 1700's, but are now probably 120th. Not saying we want to be a "Major Big City" but we do need to stay abreast of the times.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:49 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
I'm not sure I would categorize the use of tolls as progressive. It's certainly not a new form or taxation.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:25 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I'm not sure I would categorize the use of tolls as progressive. It's certainly not a new form or taxation.
Yep, they never met a tax they didn't like!

I'd be all for tolling the extension of 526 if it means that it would finally be completed. By then they'll need to think about a third lane for the rest of it of course...

Old 11-20-2015, 10:52 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
I still dont understand why we go on about tolls? The nix-526'ers dont care about the price...theyre the reason the price is so high, because they keep stalling the project. They dont want sprawl and development, not a pricey highway. So youd be tolling the people the are actually in favor of it.

The highway could be paid for, if both sides would just agree and nix all these lawsuits and protests. Lowcountry lawyers are the only ones benifiting right now. Everybody else is stuck in a game of tug of war.

And tolls sure havent helped I-185. Its paid for I believe, but its so seldmonly used, it could be 1 lane each way and you could still go 90+ with your eyes closed, if youre that brave.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:43 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Heading home out of Chas for Thanksgiving, the gf just texted me and said "I wish there was a way to bypass West Ashley. Its bumper to bumper."

If only. Everyone have a safe Thanksgiving. Careful on these roads.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:45 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,158 times
You too, Jandrew5.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:01 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Heading home out of Chas for Thanksgiving, the gf just texted me and said "I wish there was a way to bypass West Ashley. Its bumper to bumper."

If only. Everyone have a safe Thanksgiving. Careful on these roads.
True dat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area