Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:10 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,438,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
You are exactly correct. That 526 money will not go to 26, least not in the lowcountry's section of 26. Midlands and upstate politicians are drooling to get their hands on the 526 funds.

As far as T-burg, wasn't he once on the CCL board of directors? 526 will be severely delayed if he is elected mayor.
Z, you're right, if T-burg gets elected...I am moving back to Tidewater VB/Norfolk/Chesapeake...I'll swap with you, but I have to live in Va. Beach, ok man?

I'll vote for Leon, and I hope he wins, or I have to leave Chucktown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:28 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,459,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineskyscrapers View Post
Ahhh, yessss. I-926, the Palmetto Beltway. Starting at 17 in Mount Pleasant, through Wando at 41, around the Northern end of Summerville, down across 61, Savannah Highway, through John's Island, down to Folly.
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but thats a perfect route and I wish it would be built. Would be the ultimate reliever for I-26. There should also be another freeway to connect Glenn McConnell, 17, or the imaginary freeway to Michaux Pkwy, making for quicker access to the airport/Boeing.

If I had my way, I'd also build a freeway from Goose Creek/Monks Corner that parallels US52 up to the Florence area, relieving dangerous I-95 and easier travels through Berkeley.

If I had my way.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:45 AM

295 posts, read 297,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but thats a perfect route and I wish it would be built. Would be the ultimate reliever for I-26. There should also be another freeway to connect Glenn McConnell, 17, or the imaginary freeway to Michaux Pkwy, making for quicker access to the airport/Boeing.

If I had my way, I'd also build a freeway from Goose Creek/Monks Corner that parallels US52 up to the Florence area, relieving dangerous I-95 and easier travels through Berkeley.

If I had my way.
Not sarcastic, just in jest. I'd kill for an Ashley Phosphate bridge over the Ashley and a Shipyard bridge over to 526.

Found this: //www.city-data.com/forum/charl...d-highway.html

Go nuts.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
When my children are having lunch at 1:00, then recess, which leaves 30 mins before dismissal due to overcrowding, their classes have averaged 25 sometimes 27 students per class (significantly higher than the 16:1 US average), its more than just having to walk outside to a trailer. Are schools and roads an national issue? Possibly, but then each state has was to deal with that and I witnessed how FL was handling it.

The point was instead of being proactive and using analytics to project demand (like almost all businesses do) we wait for the demand to not only exist, but becomes exaggerated, before we begin the conversation. We wait for all these developments to come then try to figure out how to deal with the roads.

And yes, I agree in many cases it's the citizens that need to get their head out of the sand. This thread is a prime example.
Class size is an overrated issue. Depends on the class. I was in classes with 20-30+ kids my whole school life and turned out quite good, and so did most of my peers. I've never heard anyone or their parents complain about class sizes, just on citydata and those iffy school rating sites. You can still focus, learn, get attention, and get answers in a big class if the teacher is willing to teach and youre willing to learn. Sorry off topic, I know.

And yeah I got your point. You make a good one and a correct one. I was just stating that SC has been proactive at times, we're not always behind the 8-ball. And we'd be ahead of the 8-ball in so many cases if it wasn't for local opposition to keep everything southern and quaint and rural. The Upstate and Midlands doesn't care about that as much, hence why you see alot more getting done their way and money being funneled their way. The 85/385 stack in Greenville is getting a tune-up. 26/526 could sure use one, but we'd probably get complaints about it being too high and blocking views of Tanger Outlets or something ridiculous.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 11-16-2015 at 12:25 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 12:27 PM

Honestly nothing is probably going to happen until one of us CD folk is elected and has some power, so everybody start a campaign! We have each others backs! All we want is adequate road networks and lower traffic! And maybe a Red Robin or two.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:27 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,574,918 times
I see people talking about which mayoral candidate would build or not build I-526. You do realize, this is way out of the hands of local politicians now, right? Any new movement on this issue will have to come from the state level at this point, unless local residents want to come up with the $3-400 million shortfall.

I-526 really should be a non-issue in deciding who will be the next mayor.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:03 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,071,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I see people talking about which mayoral candidate would build or not build I-526. You do realize, this is way out of the hands of local politicians now, right? Any new movement on this issue will have to come from the state level at this point, unless local residents want to come up with the $3-400 million shortfall.

I-526 really should be a non-issue in deciding who will be the next mayor.
Wrong. If the mayor and local government, both city and county, doesn't support 526, it won't move forward, regardless of finances. This does makes it an issue selecting the mayor.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:42 PM

3,592 posts, read 4,359,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Class size is an overrated issue. Depends on the class. I was in classes with 20-30+ kids my whole school life and turned out quite good, and so did most of my peers. I've never heard anyone or their parents complain about class sizes, just on citydata and those iffy school rating sites. You can still focus, learn, get attention, and get answers in a big class if the teacher is willing to teach and youre willing to learn. Sorry off topic, I know.
Yea... but you don't have kids do you? Trust me. It's very much a topic of conversation with those of us who do. That's why you see it pop up here.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Yea... but you don't have kids do you? Trust me. It's very much a topic of conversation with those of us who do. That's why you see it pop up here.
Yep I dont, but either way I think your kids and other kids will be fine.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:25 PM

295 posts, read 297,200 times
Quote:
I have a child and lower class sizes are definitely something to push for, but I don't think 25-30 is unusual. I'd be pissed if it was 35-45 though.

More importantly, and somewhat unrelated, the biggest thing that I always tell others (not you) when they talk about how "bad" schools are in the South is: You think no child from southern schools ever gets into Ivy League? Ha!

Don't mean this to you IsNull or anyone in this thread really, but some people just have to realize some kids are just born smart and some kids are just born dopey and no school environment is going to change that.

I think we can all agree, a nice, huge, brand new school is better than a smaller one with "satellite classrooms", which in turn is better than kids sitting on top of each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area