Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 01:44 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
LOL!
You CP folks are real forward thinkers. If 'nature' is what you're going for, it looks fabulous. 'Hey kids, pull up a log and let's do some learning'

(sorry, it's Friday and I'm a bit giddy)
Of course we are! This country wasn't built on iPads and cell phones, but from folks chopping down trees and levelin dirt! It got us to the moon and back didn't? A little dirt under a young'uns fingernails ain't never hurt nothing..... neither did a little savings on flood insurance and access to gigabit internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
The downside is I can't cut my coverage. The mortgage company requires wind/hail, earthquake, flood...
I can't even cheat the system because they approve and pay the insurance.
You could probably cut the earthquake at least. The last damaging earthquake was in 1886..time for the insurance folks to just get over it. Charleston has been around for around 328 years. Get some earthquake bolts and you're good to go. You might even score some tourist points when folks ask.."what's those bolts on your house for?" ...when a carriage tour goes on by. I suggest using lion heads or something upscale to hide them. Not like those poor folks with exposed nuts and stuff.

Flood....look at getting a flood certificate that proves that you're not really below sea level. If your house didn't flood in October its probably legit for at least another 1000 years.

Wind/hail....It happens. Apparently last time was in 1989. I get that its a big thing here, but my house in Florida got hit by 4 hurricanes in just 2004 alone. Just another day off work and didn't even lose power. I gave up evacuating unless it was at least a Cat 4. I survived and lived to tell the tale. Charleston....seriously its time to get over it.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 2,181 times
Thank you all for the informative (and witty) replies. While I am thinking of it.....what about pest control? Is that something I would need to have quarterly/yearly/as needed? How much does that cost?

Old 04-08-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmom View Post
Thank you all for the informative (and witty) replies. While I am thinking of it.....what about pest control? Is that something I would need to have quarterly/yearly/as needed? How much does that cost?
I have termite control for about $250 a year. It's not required, but I fell for the "piece of mind". For roaches and stuff I have no coverage, but I don't really see random bugs in the house other than maybe twice a year..and it's a big deal over who in the family has to stomp on it. Its actually a big honor as it means one has grown into full manhood.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:47 PM

3,863 posts, read 4,600,535 times
Quote:
We don't like to use the word "pest" here, we just call them yankees and they're nearly impossible to control!

Old 04-08-2016, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 2,181 times
Hi Ziggy100,

Is Carolina Park in an X flood zone then? Thanks!

Old 04-08-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Hi Ziggy100,

Is Carolina Park in an X flood zone then? Thanks!
Yep! But I can't promise you don't end up in the one lot that slipped below the FEMA flood zone limits. I'd comfortably say the majority of lots are in Flood Zone X for now, but Carolina Park does have it's eyes on the Wando River like all developers hoping to make money. Check out FEMA's flood zones for your particular lot before you buy.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:14 PM

3,863 posts, read 4,600,535 times
The West side of Carolina Park tends to be in an AE flood zone but it isn't a bad enough elevation that they have to build raised houses.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:47 PM

480 posts, read 504,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Its actually a big honor as it means one has grown into full manhood.
I figured you CPers would be cultivating the roaches into some alternate food source

Old 04-08-2016, 03:51 PM

480 posts, read 504,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
We don't like to use the word "pest" here, we just call them yankees and they're nearly impossible to control!
The other day I walked in on one of my contractors and some of the electricians talking about 'the yankee'. They all got quiet and shuffled back to work.

But the jokes on them because I'm a Mets fan...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area