Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 04:52 AM

859 posts, read 1,362,759 times

Advertisements

Live5news has a hurricane booklet they publish every year - the evacuation routes should be in there. Check their website for availability.

Yes, make hotel reservations as far in advance as you can, based on what the local forecasters are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 04:58 AM

657 posts, read 739,185 times
At what category is it a "forced" evacuation? Sitting on the highway for a day seems worse than riding it out, granted I'm sure it depends on where you live and how much flooding you get as it is.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:09 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,071,201 times
Never wait till it's too late. Businesses love to have their employees there till the last minute and then it's too late. When YOU decide the threat is imminent, leave. Don't ask work for permission to leave, tell them "I am leaving". Leave early and beat the nutty gridlock. If you think you are leaving early you are probably late. Leave even earlier.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:50 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,948,294 times
macalan --
There is a website, I found it by googling Dorchester County Evac Routes or some such....google will find it for you.

I plan to have a full tank of gas in both cars -- just in case we need to leave in a hurry. Not sure about the hotels, Renee's Brother lives out there and he's got room.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:16 AM

Full tank of gas is a great idea. It's good to make some hotel reservations in advance at your destination that you can cancel 24 hours out if needed too.

Their site appears down !!
http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.c...stercounty.net

Old 08-23-2016, 07:24 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,453,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Great thread. Thanks for doing this.

Is there something online that shows the local evacuation routes? Is it a madhouse at gas stations and do hotel reservations need to be made in advance?
I found this:

SC Coastal Evacuation Routes

And just a reminder for everyone for the future: whenever there's a warning issued and you head out, don't take the storm lightly just because you're away from the coast. Hugo did serious damage to Charlotte, which as we know is not close to the coast. Hurricanes can also, and typically, spawn tornadoes, and there's a flash flooding risk.

Hurricanes do weaken once they get over land, but theres a misconception that they weaken so dramatically that they suddenly become a non-factor, which isn't true.

If you evacuate to say Greenville or Augusta or Charlotte, stay alert.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:35 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I found this:

And just a reminder for everyone for the future: whenever there's a warning issued and you head out, don't take the storm lightly just because you're away from the coast. Hugo did serious damage to Charlotte, which as we know is not close to the coast. Hurricanes can also, and typically, spawn tornadoes, and there's a flash flooding risk.

Hurricanes do weaken once they get over land, but theres a misconception that they weaken so dramatically that they suddenly become a non-factor, which isn't true.

Along with the normal gas, water, food suggestions... since now a days many of us don't carry much cash given the ever present ATM's ... get some cash early ... since there may be a rush at the banks who may not be able to keep the machines fed ... and ATM's don't work without power ..and a loss of power ..is a very likely early effect of any strong storm .. hurricane or not

Old 08-23-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I found this:

Wow, great information I had no idea. Looking at maps I see Charlotte is 100 miles from shore and so is Greenville. Off to Asheville it is.

By the way, this WAS my house Sept 25th, 2015 so I take these warnings very seriously now.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UNtv8lXEISU/maxresdefault.jpg

Old 08-23-2016, 07:49 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,453,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
Wow, great information I had no idea. Looking at maps I see Charlotte is 100 miles from shore and so is Greenville. Off to Asheville it is.

By the way, this WAS my house Sept 25th, 2015 so I take these warnings very seriously now.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UNtv8lXEISU/maxresdefault.jpg
Was that from last year's tornado?

And ps: even be careful in Asheville. There likely wouldn't be a wind threat, but all the rain could cause some mudslides.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Was that from last year's tornado?

And ps: even be careful in Asheville. There likely wouldn't be a wind threat, but all the rain could cause some mudslides.
Yes, on Johns Island, SC. Where would you suggest going ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area