Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 06:44 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,014,330 times

Advertisements

What is the MP Real Estate Tax Rate (for primary residence, not rental)? I know it's 4% of assessed value (which is the appraised value x the assessment ratio) x the millage rate, minus some tax credit. What is the Millage Rate (Carolina Park), Assessment Ratio and Tax Credit? Can't seem to find this information online anywhere or what district Carolina Park is in.

We just filed for the 4% Tax Rate, and also the age 65 Homestead Exemption.

Last edited by macalan; 08-26-2016 at 07:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 08:22 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,949,923 times
There's a lot of information on the County website....
Geographical Information System (GIS)

You may have to call the Assessor's office to get familiar with the forms for Homestead Exemption, but it's certainly worth the call. Also, an Appeal of your Tax Assessment may be in order here -- the Assessed Values are based on fiscal year 2014 (I think their year ends in October) and you can avoid paying for any increase in value since then. There is a window for filing your appeal, but if you are granted a lower assessment, it is good for the next 5 years or so.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the info. Already filed the Homestead Exemption.

It's a new house, so no assessed value is showing yet on the County website. What do they base their assessment on for a new house?

Old 08-26-2016, 09:00 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,283,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post

It's a new house, so no assessed value is showing yet on the County website. What do they base their assessment on for a new house?
A county appraiser came out to assess ours.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:43 AM

I don't think they have time to measure every new house, I think they will take the Builder's sqft times a Quality Factor for the Assessed value of the Improvements (your House). The Land Values will be influenced by any positive view like a pond or the golf course. But in a newer subdivision, this is all done with broad brush strokes.

That's why you should get the application for a Tax Assessment Appeal so you get a fair appraisal of you specific home.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:38 PM

92 posts, read 83,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Thanks for the info. Already filed the Homestead Exemption.

I thought it would be simply the price paid. No assessment.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:57 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,958,149 times
Mine was exactly what I paid for the house

Old 08-26-2016, 09:27 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,762,425 times
I also assume what I pay for a home becomes the new assessed value. Seems only fair to me.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:26 AM

Can anyone tell me what the millage rate is for Carolina Park? Realtors??

Old 08-27-2016, 07:52 AM

macalan --
I believe the millage rate is 41.0 and it's the same in all of Mt P, and not specific to each subdivision. As I mentioned, you should call the Assessor's Office to verify. Charleston County is also on the Take here, and their Millage Rate is 186...you really need to ask these questions to the County Assessor's Office
Can I ask.....did you change the plans to make the footprint bigger when you built ?? If so, they Assessor may have taken the Builder's estimate for your Living Area. I don't think they are staffed to physically measure every new house in Mt P.

Also, the Tax Assessment is based on a window of Sales during the last Fiscal Year ending in October 2015 -- so basing your Assessment on your Closed Sales Price after that date is unfair to you, because of the run-up in prices since that date.

The deadline to appeal taxes is in November. I would suggest you ask your Realtor to send you listings of "Similar" Homes that sold in CP in 2015, with any eye towards the low side of the Sales. You'll need 3 sales to present to the Assessor in your Appeal. Their Office will be swamped with Appeals this cycle, so they will not be in a position to scrutinize every Appeal thoroughly. In my experience, if it's presented in a coherent manner.....it will be approved. Then they'll just raise the Millage Rate to balance out the losses (but the Millage will be on your Lower Assessed Value).

Last edited by FiveLoaves; 08-27-2016 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: syntax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area