Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,906 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am considering a move to Charleston after spending a few weekends there and am looking for advice on the best neighborhood to fit my needs. I work in the film industry and travel frequently for work. After living in many cities and traveling for years for work and fun I'm ready to commit to a home base. I have lived in Boston, Chicago, LA, NYC, Mexico, and most currently, Atlanta. I prefer secondary cities to big ones these days and have read many great things about "Starting fresh" in Charleston.

I'm 35, single, female, have no kids and have one dog and have a budget of under $1500-$2K a month. I love nature and quiet surroundings but because of my pick up and go lifestyle I also really enjoy the convenience of being in walking distance to local coffee shops, restaurants, parks and similarly aged/like minded neighbors. Safety is my biggest priority, but it seems most areas are safe here.

I've read a lot about Mt Pleasant and it sounds intriguing but I have a fear it's mostly families. When I've visited in the past i've stayed around the King St area which is bustling with people of all ages.

If anyone has any tips on neighborhoods to focus on that will give me access to local shops, food, older professionals, safety and some sort of proximity to nature I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Bridget
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 02:25 PM

266 posts, read 319,802 times
Bridgeside at Patriot's Point.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:17 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Bulldog View Post
Bridgeside at Patriot's Point.
You'd probably butt right up against the max with pet fees included. But one heckuva an awesome location.

I'd go West Ashley myself.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:07 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,856 times
Coleman blvd area in mt.pleasant sounds up your alley. Close to shops, close to shem creak, close to downtown and with your budget you will fit in. Also snice you travel alot airport will be about a 15min drive from that area

Old 09-02-2016, 01:58 PM

29 posts, read 27,093 times
I work in I.T. up North here in Long Island NY. I'm a Male in my Mid-40's and I'm thinking of relocating to The Charleston Area. I'd like to live within 30 minutes from The Coast because to me there's nothing like being near the water when I'm out to dinner or looking for some nightlife. I'd also like my commute to work to be within 30 minutes from home. I'd like to land a job with my current Employer, BAE Systems, but any Employer with perhaps a Defense/Manufacturing philosophy would do. Although Real Estate values are important to me because usually they reflect how well The Schools are in the area, I would be going there without School-Aged Children. Can anyone give advice to this single fellow? Also, although not a dealbreaker, are there any Universities in the area touted for their Nursing Program, perhaps a State College??

Best Regards,

Michael.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:55 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,423,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavster9123 View Post
I work in I.T. up North here in Long Island NY. I'm a Male in my Mid-40's and I'm thinking of relocating to The Charleston Area. I'd like to live within 30 minutes from The Coast because to me there's nothing like being near the water when I'm out to dinner or looking for some nightlife. I'd also like my commute to work to be within 30 minutes from home. I'd like to land a job with my current Employer, BAE Systems, but any Employer with perhaps a Defense/Manufacturing philosophy would do. Although Real Estate values are important to me because usually they reflect how well The Schools are in the area, I would be going there without School-Aged Children. Can anyone give advice to this single fellow? Also, although not a dealbreaker, are there any Universities in the area touted for their Nursing Program, perhaps a State College??

Best Regards,

Michael.
Plenty of areas where you would fit in ...location of your employer will matter greatly ... so get that set first .. then figure out where you'll want to settle down. BAE has a number of operations in Charleston .. most in North Charleston.. just off 526 ...which would give you pretty good access to the entire Metro for housing.

A number of schools offering nursing degrees in the area .... arguably The Medical University of South Carolina is probably the best.. if only most notable... of the bunch.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:56 PM

23 posts, read 22,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdirb22 View Post
Hi there,

I am considering a move to Charleston after spending a few weekends there and am looking for advice on the best neighborhood to fit my needs. I work in the film industry and travel frequently for work. After living in many cities and traveling for years for work and fun I'm ready to commit to a home base. I have lived in Boston, Chicago, LA, NYC, Mexico, and most currently, Atlanta. I prefer secondary cities to big ones these days and have read many great things about "Starting fresh" in Charleston.

I'm 35, single, female, have no kids and have one dog and have a budget of under $1500-$2K a month. I love nature and quiet surroundings but because of my pick up and go lifestyle I also really enjoy the convenience of being in walking distance to local coffee shops, restaurants, parks and similarly aged/like minded neighbors. Safety is my biggest priority, but it seems most areas are safe here.

I've read a lot about Mt Pleasant and it sounds intriguing but I have a fear it's mostly families. When I've visited in the past i've stayed around the King St area which is bustling with people of all ages.

If anyone has any tips on neighborhoods to focus on that will give me access to local shops, food, older professionals, safety and some sort of proximity to nature I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Bridget
Check out Wagener Terrace--I'm always surprised that WT doesn't get more love from this forum. (If you're unaware, WT is the neighborhood north of the Citadel and Hampton Park and west of King St.) Very close to all the new restaurants and cafes springing up in the upper peninsula, long walk or short bike ride to the heart of downtown, and still quiet enough to sleep with your windows open at night. Your budget would cover a lovely apartment or possibly a small house. My block has a mix of twenty-somethings living with roommates, young families, DINKs in their thirties and forties (like me and my boyfriend), and elderly long-time residents. As far as I can tell, that matches the demographics of the neighborhood as a whole. If you want to be in the thick of things, though, you'd want to be further south.

(I know peninsular Charleston is expensive, but there is just no substitute for it. We had to buy a fixer-upper to afford WT, and we have poured blood, sweat, and tears into this house. But whenever I'm walking home from a nationally-hyped restaurant or biking past gorgeous old mansions on my way to the gym, I know that it was worth every drop.)

Old 09-03-2016, 08:41 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times
To the OP: Wagener Terrace would be a good fit (this comment feels like deja vu) and actually a lot of downtown would be too. Avondale in West Ashley is another spot that might fit the bill.

To Cavester: I agree with Cynic; many places would work but find out where you'll be working first.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:20 PM

11 posts, read 9,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kationation View Post
Check out Wagener Terrace--I'm always surprised that WT doesn't get more love from this forum. (If you're unaware, WT is the neighborhood north of the Citadel and Hampton Park and west of King St.) Very close to all the new restaurants and cafes springing up in the upper peninsula, long walk or short bike ride to the heart of downtown, and still quiet enough to sleep with your windows open at night. Your budget would cover a lovely apartment or possibly a small house. My block has a mix of twenty-somethings living with roommates, young families, DINKs in their thirties and forties (like me and my boyfriend), and elderly long-time residents. As far as I can tell, that matches the demographics of the neighborhood as a whole. If you want to be in the thick of things, though, you'd want to be further south.

(I know peninsular Charleston is expensive, but there is just no substitute for it. We had to buy a fixer-upper to afford WT, and we have poured blood, sweat, and tears into this house. But whenever I'm walking home from a nationally-hyped restaurant or biking past gorgeous old mansions on my way to the gym, I know that it was worth every drop.)

What are some good gyms if you don't mind me asking? I'm moving here soon and need to find a gym. I am 24 so a younger crowd would be preferable.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:37 PM

29 posts, read 27,093 times
Thank you very much for the advice. Much Appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area