Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 05:32 AM

5,726 posts, read 4,713,224 times

Advertisements

You can sign up to receive weekly flyers from most of the stores.

As a military retiree, I obviously have a benefit in the commissary that most of you don't. But it is very interesting for me to see the prices at the commissary (with no markup) versus the prices at local grocers. The bacon I get at the commissary is $5.50 vs $9.50 at Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 05:53 AM

3,593 posts, read 4,363,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
And time...
Shop Walmart and Harris Teeter online. Drop by and they bring your order out... done.

That leaves Costco, Publix, and Trader Joes. We hit Trader Joes on the way home from work. Costco is a bit of a chore from MtP. Do it once a month and pack it up. Have a deep freeze and when things go on sale... stock up.

Is it more time.. yes. Is it a huge time investment... no.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:42 AM

515 posts, read 483,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Nope, had two AC companies come out and look at it. They're on an annual maintenance.
Bad insulation then? There should be no reason why you can't cool your house to 74.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:59 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,464,534 times
Quote:
Shop Walmart and Harris Teeter online. Drop by and they bring your order out... done.

That leaves Costco, Publix, and Trader Joes. We hit Trader Joes on the way home from work. Costco is a bit of a chore from MtP. Do it once a month and pack it up. Have a deep freeze and when things go on sale... stock up.

Is it more time.. yes. Is it a huge time investment... no.
I personally still enjoy going to the store, but I agree, online is a way to go and saves time. Publix does online as well. And so do restaurants: Chick Fil A, Panera, and a few others do online or mobile app orders.

You talk about the trip to Costco, you can actually buy bulk online too. Check out Boxed.com and Jet.com. And of course Amazon.

And having a HT card, Bilo card, etc always knocks off a few bucks.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:19 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,609,600 times
Quote:
Nope, had two AC companies come out and look at it. They're on an annual maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
Bad insulation then? There should be no reason why you can't cool your house to 74.
I agree with that. I don't cool my house to 74 but I could if I wanted to and you should be able to also. The hvac might run a lot but it should do it.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:13 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,965,813 times
Quote:
I agree with that. I don't cool my house to 74 but I could if I wanted to and you should be able to also. The hvac might run a lot but it should do it.
I agree this doesn't sound right. Asking for 74 degrees on a 100 degree day in Charleston shouldn't be a big deal. Somebody sized that thing way too small.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:24 PM

92 posts, read 83,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I agree this doesn't sound right. Asking for 74 degrees on a 100 degree day in Charleston shouldn't be a big deal. Somebody sized that thing way too small.
And really, the house should never be 100. At night, when the temp goes to 70-80, the AC unit should be able to get the house to 74 easily and maintain that 74.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:10 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,057,902 times
Quote:
That's not so uncommon these days.
and the OP did say COMBINED....meaning more than one

Old 09-09-2016, 08:43 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,017,719 times
Just my Berkeley Electric bill. Down a whopping $12 from last month for raising the A/C from 73 to 75. Woo hoo!

Old 09-12-2016, 06:30 AM

3,593 posts, read 4,363,726 times
Quote:

We have spray foam installation and Anderson windows. We have one unit for the ground floor, and a unit that splits the second and third floor. There's a ducted mini split for the FROG. Every new home must have a load calculation done during construction to find what is the correct size units for the house. This was a change Obama put in place so HVAC companies aren't "guessing" anymore. When we completed the house they did a leak test not only for the units, but for the house itself.

In the summer we can keep the house at 78, but the AC runs most of the day. Maybe that's the point of the new methodology is they feel it's more efficient for a smaller unit to run all the time than a larger unit running for a short time and shutting off. Maybe they target 78 as a good temperature in the summer.

We had a different HVAC company come out and do a survey when the units were running all the time. They pretty much told us the units were sized correctly.

We're comfortable in the house and that's what matters I suppose. Of course they shut off at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area