Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 02:59 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,758 times

Advertisements

Hi guys.....

I did research the threads in the Charleston forum before posting this new thread. I didn't find anything recent in my search so here goes.....

DH just said that he has planned a surprise anniversary trip for us to Charleston but that he had to tell me in advance because he could not determine which boarding facility there would be ok for our babies. He knows that, when possible, I like to have them close to us when we are traveling. I've just spent the last hour researching boarding facilities on line and it seems that even the well rated ones had some horrifyingly bad reviews....dogs caught pink eye/kennel cough etc... or operators were caught actually abusing animals, etc...

Do you guys have some trusted recommendations for dog boarding (4 days, 3 nights) in the Charleston area? These 2 dogs are very much like children to me and I just need to make sure that they are in a safe, well supervised environment (30 lb dogs, very short). Yes, I realize that I am "one of those girls" and that everyone doesn't get it but for those of you who do, I surely would appreciate your recommendations.

TIA~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 03:25 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times
I completely understand your reservations with a kennel. Have you considered staying in a pet-friendly hotel and hiring a dog walker/pet sitter for walks instead of putting your dogs in a boarding facility? Just a thought.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding - would the dogs see you at all during your trip if you board them here? At least with a pet-friendly hotel you'd be with them at night and in the AM.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:41 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,335 times
Regarding Paws in Paradise - Welcome

They have a decent reputation, in fact there is a waiting list to get one's dog in there, but this was posted recently: https://www.facebook.com/eva.m.suare...03166436497761

That said I don't understand what you're trying to achieve ... either board or arrange petsitting for your dogs at home (where you know who to trust or not to trust) for the time you are away, or just bring them with you and have them stay with you throughout your trip. This idea of traveling with one's dogs only to put them in a boarding place at the destination sounds like the worst thing for the dogs. If they are as you say 'like children to you' then treat them accordingly, and don't take them on a trip only to leave them somewhere else so you can see them at your leisure and convenience.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
I completely understand your reservations with a kennel. Have you considered staying in a pet-friendly hotel and hiring a dog walker/pet sitter for walks instead of putting your dogs in a boarding facility? Just a thought.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding - would the dogs see you at all during your trip if you board them here? At least with a pet-friendly hotel you'd be with them at night and in the AM.

We wanted to have them in a boarding facility with play time and nearby to check in with them and to perhaps take them on some excursions with us, depending on the temperature. We had considered a pet-friend hotel situation but we feel that a safe boarding situation will work best for us this time. Thanks for responding.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
Regarding Paws in Paradise - Welcome

They have a decent reputation, in fact there is a waiting list to get one's dog in there, but this was posted recently: https://www.facebook.com/eva.m.suare...03166436497761

That said I don't understand what you're trying to achieve ... either board or arrange petsitting for your dogs at home (where you know who to trust or not to trust) for the time you are away, or just bring them with you and have them stay with you throughout your trip. This idea of traveling with one's dogs only to put them in a boarding place at the destination sounds like the worst thing for the dogs. If they are as you say 'like children to you' then treat them accordingly, and don't take them on a trip only to leave them somewhere else so you can see them at your leisure and convenience.

Thank you for taking time to respond regarding my request but I found your judging attitude rude and out of line.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:55 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times
As far as I know, SC has no laws regulating these facilities, which is why they are "questionable" in many instances, dangerous/deadly in the worst of cases.

Paws in Paradise is the facility that "baked" a dog - a pool fell on top of the dog outside, and even though there was a worker outside in the same area, the worker never noticed, nor did anyone notice the dog was nowhere to be found when the dogs were brought inside. The dog died in the hot sun under the pool.

Owner claims pet 'baked' at doggy daycare, no laws regulating S. - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

That place needs to be shut down.

Last edited by macalan; 09-05-2016 at 04:13 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 03:59 PM

Thanks, macalan. I think we will stick with our trusted kennel here at home..... this is just scary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area