Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 07:00 PM

92 posts, read 84,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Most of Park West is a hike from 17. Most of CP is fairly close to it. I think it's pretty much a draw.
I believe the comment was more directed toward Rivertown, Dunes West.

In personally think everything north of 41 is about the same distance from Downtown. When house shopping I did a few dry runs from each neighborhood on weekends and it's all about the same. Anything up 41 is hosed during rush hour though.

We desperately wanted to live in Park West. We did what you did and noticed that the time different to other places was not bad- maybe 5-10 minutes.

The realtor suggested that we drive from that potential location in the morning rush hour and honestly, it was a nightmare.

We ended up closer to the IOP area and I am very happy we did so. Even CP (which was second on the list) seems far now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 07:04 PM

92 posts, read 84,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennmichele04 View Post
Hi - I am looking to move to Mt. Pleasant in the next year and am trying to find the best subdivision for my son who is 9. He does not want to move of course so I want to make it an easy transition for him where there will be tons to do and many kids to meet. The few that I was looking at are:
Carolina Park
Riverside
Brickyard
Hamlin Plantation
Park West
Dunes West

I would like approx 3K sq ft and under 800K. I would like an active community with a pool and lots of kids riding their bikes and playing outside. I would also like to be close to the city and beach.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the above or others that they recommend?

Thanks!

Of those choices, I would go with Hamlin or Brickyard. Lots of kids that age and closer as well. Hamlin is also very close to the elementary and middle school.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:18 PM

3,595 posts, read 4,375,135 times
Park West has the schools in the neighborhood. Carolina Park will have an elementary school in their neighborhood next year. I find it hard to believe there's more kids on average per household than Andover, Pembroke and Masonborough.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:24 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,105,718 times
These are all great subdivisions. Truth is -- in most of the subdivisions in Mt. Pleasant are great for kids. You can't go wrong....

Old 09-13-2016, 08:45 PM

515 posts, read 484,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Park West has the schools in the neighborhood. Carolina Park will have an elementary school in their neighborhood next year. I find it hard to believe there's more kids on average per household than Andover, Pembroke and Masonborough.

Who said there were more kids on average? Just relaying personal experience that pretty much every house in our area has young children, and they are all outside playing, every day. I'm sure there are tons of families in PW too. Traffic may also be bad in 10 years when CP is built out and all of the retail is put in, but for now its far easier to travel down to 17 than trying to navigate the school/rush hour traffic of PW. 41 is just a nightmare.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:54 AM

204 posts, read 185,791 times
You're all right! All those neighborhoods are too far away from downtown and they are all a pain to get in and out of.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:29 AM

3,872 posts, read 4,623,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennmichele04 View Post
Hi - I am looking to move to Mt. Pleasant in the next year and am trying to find the best subdivision for my son who is 9. He does not want to move of course so I want to make it an easy transition for him where there will be tons to do and many kids to meet. The few that I was looking at are:
Carolina Park
Riverside
Brickyard
Hamlin Plantation
Park West
Dunes West

I would like approx 3K sq ft and under 800K. I would like an active community with a pool and lots of kids riding their bikes and playing outside. I would also like to be close to the city and beach.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the above or others that they recommend?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
These are all great subdivisions. Truth is -- in most of the subdivisions in Mt. Pleasant are great for kids. You can't go wrong....
I think Moneill summed it up... There are a lot of choices for subdivisions in Mt Pleasant that have plenty of kids. As you can probably gather from the other comments, traffic can be an issue so a lot of what might influence your best choice is where you'll be working, what amenities other than a pool that you might want in a neighborhood, new construction vs an older, established neighborhood, etc.

The good news is that you have a healthy budget and should be able to find what you want in Mt P.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:53 AM

3,595 posts, read 4,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
Who said there were more kids on average? Just relaying personal experience that pretty much every house in our area has young children, and they are all outside playing, every day. I'm sure there are tons of families in PW too. Traffic may also be bad in 10 years when CP is built out and all of the retail is put in, but for now its far easier to travel down to 17 than trying to navigate the school/rush hour traffic of PW. 41 is just a nightmare.
I was replying to dougalmanitou and didn't quote. Sorry.

Yes in the morning during school if you're traveling between 6:45 and 7:30 traffic can be rough. The good side is there's land graded and cleared waiting for the town to add the second set of roads to make Park West Blvd 4 lanes. But then I see lots of parents taking their kids to school on bikes and golf carts too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas4Life View Post
You're all right! All those neighborhoods are too far away from downtown and they are all a pain to get in and out of.

Funny, both my wife and I work downtown. She has no problems as she heads in before the school crunch. I get the kids off to school and it takes me 25 mins to drive in after dropping off in the morning.

Since my boss has allowed me to begin my day remotely, I have gone to riding the bus and working via the free wifi. That does take a little longer as I'm beholden to the bus and it's schedule. But it's worked reasonably well.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:04 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,028,105 times
You have some great subdivisions on your list. I think as others have said it will depend on how old of a house you want. I really don't think there's that much difference in location between them, other than the ones on 41 which I would not vote for.

We live in Carolina Park and really like it. We don't have kids, but there are plenty here, always outside playing, or at the pool. They've just put in a passive "park" near the pool for kids to use for kicking a ball around, etc., as the lots are small. The new elementary school is being built now and will be ready next year, a library will be built within the next few years, and all of the houses are new and really nice. The one drawback is that most of the lots are small, but you'll find that in most of the subdivisions on your list. Because this is a new subdivision it's easy to meet people as everyone is also new and looking to make friends.

I would also, as someone else mentioned, check out Daniel Island. We rented on Daniel Island for 1-1/2 years and really liked it. The location is great - it's about 15 min to downtown Charleston, the Sullivan's and the airport. The houses will be older, but they are really nice (same builder who built a lot of the houses in Hamlin - John Wieland). A lot of the lots will be larger than the other subdivisions in Mount Pleasant that you listed.

The different thing about Daniel Island is that it is an actual town, population @10K, so there might be more kids. It's extremely safe and compact, so a lot of the kids ride their bikes to school, to the downtown, to the ball fields, to the pool, to the parks/basketball court, or the library.

There are all kinds of events going on for kids, lots of organized sports programs, and there are plans to build a new rec center. There's a tennis center now where kids can take lessons, and also a few public tennis courts. Also 8 different parks and the entire island is interconnected with paved bike/walking trails. The biggest park - Smythe Park - has a lake in the center, and they hold things like movie nights and overnight family campouts. Definitely worth a look.

You can't go wrong, this area is very family friendly, and you've got the budget to get a very nice house in either MP or DI. It just depends what is a better "fit" for you. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2016, 08:07 AM

29 posts, read 35,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougalmanitou View Post
We desperately wanted to live in Park West. We did what you did and noticed that the time different to other places was not bad- maybe 5-10 minutes.

The realtor suggested that we drive from that potential location in the morning rush hour and honestly, it was a nightmare.

We ended up closer to the IOP area and I am very happy we did so. Even CP (which was second on the list) seems far now.
Hi, if you don't mind me asking, where did you move to. I'm moving to Mt Pleasant next Sunday. I'm gonna rent for 6 months then buy. I'm strongly considering Carolina Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area