Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 05:15 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,051,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaescape View Post
LizardSpock is a sarcastic know it all so I pay no attention to the rude comments. My last apartment was $1500 a month and my income was $15/hr and I survived. The places I've been looking to rent are much cheaper. Anyone who says I can't accomplish that just doesn't know me... which is fine. I'm not seeking out naysayers anyway. Was just looking for info on the area. I ignore the people that are not helpful, just negative. I plan to rent for a year or two before thinking about buying anything. To make sure I like the area and make sure I like the job opportunities, before making such a commitment. And to make sure I don't live next to any condescending jerks thank you to everyone who DID offer helpful advice though about the area. It was much appreciated !!
I don't think Charleston is what you're looking for based on your criteria. We have lots (comparable or worse to Texas) mosquitos and biting insects. It is excessively humid, especially based upon your coming from CA. The type of job you're looking for would be very, very low pay and not plentiful. I can't think a single place in the South which would fit your criteria because it sounds like you're looking for just a cheaper version of Southern California and the closest I can think of that would be out west in places like Arizona and/or Colorado barring the ocean access of course.

Now, that aside, based upon your posts, I'm not sure you would fit in around here anyway. Stay out West, I think that's where your heart is anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 07:35 AM

5,291 posts, read 6,239,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaescape View Post
LizardSpock is a sarcastic know it all so I pay no attention to the rude comments. My last apartment was $1500 a month and my income was $15/hr and I survived.

I think Lizard is giving you a fairly honest assessment. If you look at those of us who have basically agreed/tried to further what he said, you will notice we mainly agree on very little. But he is right. You will not get lending for a $240k mortgage (assuming 20% down on a 300k property) on $30k per year. And even if you could, taxes, upkeep, general repairs, insurance, etc could eat you alive. Your main question has to be if you like Charleston in a 150k property. Many people really do and others do not.

One big thing to keep in mind is that the images you are typically shown and the picture painted of Charleston is not where or how most of us live. We might walk/jog the battery and go to the beach on Sullivan's Island but it is going to be a visit. I've known people who drove downtown or to the beach every single weekend from Goose Creek and suspect that you would be fine with that if you are acclimated to SoCal traffic. You should really visit and get an honest assessment of the area (ie beyond the beaches and historic district) before deciding. And you should find a job before you move.

On an off note- what is customer service management?

Old 09-29-2016, 12:16 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,480,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I can't think a single place in the South which would fit your criteria because it sounds like you're looking for just a cheaper version of Southern California and the closest I can think of that would be out west in places like Arizona and/or Colorado barring the ocean access of course.
This. Try Phoenix or Albuquerque. Charleston is great and SC has came a long ways, but this probably isn't your best fit. Neither would NC be honestly. Staying west would be best, just get away from the coast. Just being near the water drives up your cost.

Like I said, if you're single and money is tight, but you still want to enjoy yourself, try Phoenix and Albuquerque. You'll give up the beach, but you'll save in many other areas, and you'll still have some cool scenery. And most important, you'll stay closer to the Western element and lifestyle that you're used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
One big thing to keep in mind is that the images you are typically shown and the picture painted of Charleston is not where or how most of us live.
This as well. Even most people who are fortunate enough to live on the Battery and the beach don't spend their days laying in the hammocks.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 09-29-2016 at 12:29 PM..

Old 09-30-2016, 06:42 AM

973 posts, read 919,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Like I said, if you're single and money is tight, but you still want to enjoy yourself, try Phoenix and Albuquerque. You'll give up the beach, but you'll save in many other areas, and you'll still have some cool scenery. And most important, you'll stay closer to the Western element and lifestyle that you're used to.
Phoenix sounds cool, but ABQ is a bit depressing. Beautiful scenery and some nice hikes, but the city is a dump.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:22 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 9 days ago)

5,756 posts, read 4,743,239 times
Some parts of Abq are amazing though. Just north of the city is amazing.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:18 PM

5,291 posts, read 6,239,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Some parts of Abq are amazing though. Just north of the city is amazing.

I'm actually fairly familiar with ABQ- do you mean High Mountain past Tanoan- because that area is a pretty flippin expensive.

If you happen to like papas at Weck's or the green pepper burgers most anywhere I think we may have found our common ground?

Old 09-30-2016, 03:16 PM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 9 days ago)

5,756 posts, read 4,743,239 times
I was referencing much further North.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:18 PM

55 posts, read 105,262 times
I don't know how Phoenix Arizona came up exactly but I absolutely can't stand Arizona. I have driven through the whole state and stayed the night. I have also gone to Arizona for the Parker river tube float. First off I hate the weather. 120 degrees? That's like my worst nightmare. I have a girlfriend that lives there who is always posting on Facebook about the weather and suffering through it. Next the scenery is not to my liking at all. It is not green like Washington (trees, grass) nor does it have the beach. Rocks and scorpions and cactuses are not scenery to me. And lastly the people there seemed to be a huge meth population. At the hotel, at the gas stations, The people I encountered were creepy lowlifes. I even saw people doing lines in their car outside of a Jack-in-the-Box in the parking lot. Arizona is probably one of the last places I would move from my experience in being there.

And customer service management is being a manager in any job in which you provide service to a customer. I have been a customer service manager in retail positions as well as office positions. On the office end of things this is usually the person who handles phone calls, especially irate customers.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:33 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,987,880 times
I don't get why Arizona comes up from time to time on the threads. I'd assume if you picked Charleston from across the country, then Arizona wouldn't be quite what you're thinking.
People from everywhere seem to like it here. I have a coworker from Seattle who lived in California for 20 years and prefers here due to the mix between being green like Seattle without all the 50 degree rainy weather.

Some positives are the fact we've got some good economic activity going on. I don't think you'll have a problem finding a job, but the salary might be lower due to the fact there seems to be a lot of competition. This is one of the few cities I've lived where people don't seem to move here for work, they move here for a change of pace, then try and find a job later. It makes for a competitive job market.

Outdoor activity here seems mainly based on water sports and the beach. Kayaking, some surfing (Folly Beach), paddle boarding, boating, that kind of thing. We have hiking trails, but as someone earlier said its all pretty flat. On the plus side, its not unusual to find a trail that leads a historic site like old fortifications, old plantations, etc.
The humidity and heat is bad in the summer, but on the positive side you don't need a wetsuit to swim in the ocean. If its too nice outside, the water is usually too cold.

The singles night life thing seems to be thriving but I'm usually in bed by 8 so somebody else can further clarify.

I've only lived in one apartment here. It was about $1100 two years ago for a two bedroom, very safe, newer, and the neighbors seemed like they had their act together. It was closer to Summerville however.

The biggest risk here is getting a job while moving far across country away from your network of family and friends and trying to line up a place to live, etc. People move here from all over and they all seem to like it. I find pretty much the only people who are miserable are because they didn't have a job, they overestimated the pay, or they have some issues with their boss or something.

Other places to consider if you like the beach are North Florida and Myrtle Beach. Simply because there's more beach (we have beaches on islands, they have beaches that run endlessly in either direction) and you can get cheaper housing near the beach. North Florida is very similar to here weather wise. The difference is they have about 1.5 more months of humidity, but in exchange there's pretty much no winter at all. The grass doesn't even turn brown. Its about 7- 8 months of dry 70 degree weather from late October to early June.

Further inland you'll find more value in housing in general. Charleston is one of the most expensive areas to live in the South. Greenville is more bang for your buck in terms of housing, its not liberal by any means, and they seem to be undergoing an economic boom as well. They don't have a beach or much water of any kind, but they are in the foothills of the mountains.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:22 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,480,389 times
Seems like half think Chas is for you, and half don't. Your best bet would be to come and visit, get a feel of the area. This would be a good time of year to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area