Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:03 AM

3,595 posts, read 4,372,197 times

Advertisements

It sounds to me like Charleston just isn't your bag. Good luck in Nashville.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:07 AM

973 posts, read 919,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalReturn View Post
Thanks for the useful info, Moneill.

In every city I have ever been, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are basically post-college hookup central. The Austin location even has a bar in it.

That would be me.

If I've got surf, girls, and dudes that are easy to relate to, then I am a happy camper. I may have a good job, but I have no intention of slowing down soon.
If that's all you need, then Charleston will be good to you. There are plenty of late 20 to mid 30's here. You just chose the wrong place at the wrong time. West Ashley has plenty of young professionals. Go to Avondale, lots of young profs there. I tend to find King St being full of young students true too, but there's East Bay. Lots of nice restaurants and bars along that street with a more mature crowd.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:08 AM

105 posts, read 95,895 times
Quote:
Thanks for the useful info, Moneill.

In every city I have ever been, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are basically post-college hookup central. The Austin location even has a bar in it.

That would be me.

If I've got surf, girls, and dudes that are easy to relate to, then I am a happy camper. I may have a good job, but I have no intention of slowing down soon.
Traders Joe's/whole foods is the same here. Sounds like you'll fit right in. You should look into living in Mt. Pleasant -- tons of apartments and building more, close to the beach, trader Joe's/whole foods, a big young professional scene, good bars/restaurants/coffee shops in walking distance or a short Uber ride, etc. Just stay inside the 526 loop.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:50 AM

480 posts, read 505,859 times
I personally think you're being over sold on the single YP scene. Again, I'm not in the demo and far from an expert. I would take the suggestions and do more research before planning a move. Most of the comments here are from a college student and old folks like me.

I always felt this was more a get married and start a family type place than focus on career and party place. But *shrug* I'm not searching for that scene.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:53 PM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 9 days ago)

5,756 posts, read 4,743,239 times
Quote:
I won't ever date another girl over 29. The younger girls I've dated were strangely more mature, in a way. They had much better attitudes and less issues. Your experience could be different.
I'm 56. If I date girls under 29 it's just ewwww.

If I were you, I'd pick Austin or Nashville. Charleston, to me, is better for college age and folks settling down.

Austin is always hopping, as is Nashville. In fact, I believe that so much, I'm moving to Austin myself in December.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:03 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,987,880 times
Funny, but the vibe on this forum used to be who could upsell Charleston the most to anybody considering moving here.
The last few threads have been primarily focused on discouraging moving here.
Are we suddenly blaming ourselves for the growth and traffic or something?

Old 09-29-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Funny, but the vibe on this forum used to be who could upsell Charleston the most to anybody considering moving here.
The last few threads have been primarily focused on discouraging moving here.
Are we suddenly blaming ourselves for the growth and traffic or something?
I'm not, but I'll sure blame a lot of you.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I'm moving to Austin myself in December.
You're leaving?

Old 09-29-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
You're leaving?
Yes. It's time to go. Charleston just isn't what it once was. It's still a great place, just not for me anymore.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Yes. It's time to go. Charleston just isn't what it once was. It's still a great place, just not for me anymore.
Sorry to hear that. Wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area