Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 07:00 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
When we built we were told that it was code to install hurricane rated windows. We have shutters on the front of the house (non rated). Most of the folks that have plywood that was cut for their windows didn't put them up due to the weight, especially second or third story.
Code around Charleston generally calls for DP50 rated windows. (DP = design pressure) You can get more hurricane resistant windows but of course they'll cost more.
From what I've seen, people who have the plywood covers stored for their windows will often put them up when the first storm comes close but when it misses us, (as most do) they look at all the work of putting them up and taking them down and when the next storm comes they think, "it'll probably miss us..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 07:55 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,069,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Code around Charleston generally calls for DP50 rated windows. (DP = design pressure) You can get more hurricane resistant windows but of course they'll cost more.
From what I've seen, people who have the plywood covers stored for their windows will often put them up when the first storm comes close but when it misses us, (as most do) they look at all the work of putting them up and taking them down and when the next storm comes they think, "it'll probably miss us..."
and then BLAMO !!!

Old 10-14-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I personally like the poly-carb type panels that function similar to the plywood cover system above. They are lighter and have the mounting hardware already up. Muhler Company used to have a version I liked but I'm sure plenty of other placed carry something similar.

Real shutters could work well too but they don't really work on the window sizes/configurations people want now.

And I agree with the others about window repairs. And its always cheaper by a mile to install windows during construction than after the fact.
Doesn't a poly carb panel cost over 5x the plywood panel ?

Old 10-14-2016, 09:03 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Then there's people like me who won't put them up even if they do hit.
It sucks living in a dark windowless house with no power during a storm.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:32 AM

141 posts, read 288,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
When we built we were told that it was code to install hurricane rated windows. We have shutters on the front of the house (non rated). Most of the folks that have plywood that was cut for their windows didn't put them up due to the weight, especially second or third story.

Here in Florida impact windows are not required to meet code. You can put in any window as long as you have an approved form of window opening hurricane protection (shutters, screens, fabric, plywood, etc.) going over them.

Of course the window salesperson doesn't like to tell you that, so sometimes it is never mentioned during their pitch. They try to convince you that impact windows are mandatory. Some of them even tell you to sell your old shutters to help offset the cost of the new impact windows. Unfortunately there are always some out there willing to say anything to close the sale. I have run many of them out of my house as soon as I heard the words "hurricane proof" and "will withstand hurricanes".

My late husband was an engineer and I was taught how to research building products for him early on. When I was looking to upgrade my protection, the window salesmen who came by all had me targeted as a widow who would be an easy sell but they soon found out differently.

I ended up not even getting new windows (mine are circa 1990) but went with these crystal clear Lexan type shutters that I leave up all year round. I can't even tell that they are there. They have cut my electric bill substantially and have eliminated the road noise. I live near a main highway and an interstate so I get double the noise and now I can't even hear the neighbor's lawnmower anymore. The best part is that I don't have to have them put up and taken down for every storm and they don't spend 95% of their life in storage doing nothing. I like the fact that they work all year long and I don't have to worry about them breaking because I watched the man who sold them to me hit them with a sledgehammer without so much as a crack.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:47 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
I believe it was changes in local code after Hugo, there was a major overhaul of requirements. Seems like every board has a strap on it. We were told by the builder.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missguided1 View Post
Here in Florida impact windows are not required to meet code. You can put in any window as long as you have an approved form of window opening hurricane protection (shutters, screens, fabric, plywood, etc.) going over them.

Of course the window salesperson doesn't like to tell you that, so sometimes it is never mentioned during their pitch. They try to convince you that impact windows are mandatory. Some of them even tell you to sell your old shutters to help offset the cost of the new impact windows. Unfortunately there are always some out there willing to say anything to close the sale. I have run many of them out of my house as soon as I heard the words "hurricane proof" and "will withstand hurricanes".

My late husband was an engineer and I was taught how to research building products for him early on. When I was looking to upgrade my protection, the window salesmen who came by all had me targeted as a widow who would be an easy sell but they soon found out differently.

I ended up not even getting new windows (mine are circa 1990) but went with these crystal clear Lexan type shutters that I leave up all year round. I can't even tell that they are there. They have cut my electric bill substantially and have eliminated the road noise. I live near a main highway and an interstate so I get double the noise and now I can't even hear the neighbor's lawnmower anymore. The best part is that I don't have to have them put up and taken down for every storm and they don't spend 95% of their life in storage doing nothing. I like the fact that they work all year long and I don't have to worry about them breaking because I watched the man who sold them to me hit them with a sledgehammer without so much as a crack.

Great info. Do you have a link to these lexan shutters ? I'm wondering if there are affordable ones.
Thanks

Old 10-14-2016, 12:06 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missguided1 View Post

That has been my experience here as well. But usually they make you provide proof of your panels/shutters/plywood installed or onsite to give the CO. And as always you can run into a code inspector who insists on a stricter interpretation- usually for multi-family or raised homes. I imagine some insurance companies want the stricter reading as well.

And for whoever asked- those poly carb panels are definitely pricier than plywood but go on in a minute and weigh much less. If I stay in my house another couple of years I will probably remodel and look into those since my house single pain 1939 windows in all but 3 openings.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:32 PM

141 posts, read 288,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
Great info. Do you have a link to these lexan shutters ? I'm wondering if there are affordable ones.
Thanks
They were less than half the cost of aluminum impact windows (I wouldn't even consider pvc) and a bit cheaper than roll-down shutters. PM me and I'll give you the name. I don't like openly recommending (or criticizing) anything by name on here. Different people have different experiences and I don't want to sway anyone away from any brands that they may happen to like. That's just me.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:38 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
For shutters here is a place to start. I have nothing to do with the company and have never done business with them but they do give info and prices so a starting point:

Products and Pricing page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: