Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2016, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,282 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and I are looking to possibly move to the Summerville area or above along the I-26 corridor. She currently works in St. George and I'm in Orangeburg but could possibly be moving jobs down to the Summerville/Goose Creek area. I want to keep my current drive to around an hour maximum so nothing closer to Charleston for the time being. We currently live on Lake Marion but want to be around a more active community with people in the 25-35 age range who are also young professionals. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to begin our search. We are looking at both renting and buying and both apartments and houses. Max buying budget is 200K 3 bed/2 bath (prefer 2.5) or $1200 rent for either a home or apartment. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 08:56 AM

727 posts, read 718,756 times
Have you looked around Summerville yet? I know there are young professionals here, but it has more of a family vibe to me. It depends on what you are interested in. Any kids, or plans for any? Anyway, when I read your question, the first place that popped into my mind was Nexton.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,282 times
No not physically yet, but plan on soon. Just wanted to know where to look I guess. Yes we plan on having kids, none at th and moment. I'm 28 and she is 25. Nexton sounds nice but may be a little high on the budget. Read some bad reviews of their apartments as well.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:50 PM

Ok, then I'm guessing you don't really need a "family-friendly" place, at least not right now and don't need to be concerned about schools yet. How about Latitude at Wesctott? The commute for you would be a little over an hour to Orangeburg but depending on when you travel, might be a reverse commute. I'm putting myself in your situation and, other than the places I've mentioned, I would choose something like this in a heartbeat if I could live small short term:

Condo for Rent - 302 Sumter Ave Unit B, Summerville, SC 29483 - realtor.com®

Very small, but in the town of Summerville which is lovely, and close to the things Summerville has to do.

As you've seen, rents are very high here. There are lots of homes to buy that are within your budget, though. If you see something online that you like, someone can probably answer any questions about the neighborhood.

There was a CD member who I think lived in downtown Summerville--wasn't it diddlydudette? She might know of more places.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:27 PM

209 posts, read 534,769 times
The Weatherstone subdivision behind Target at the 199 exit seems to hit what you are looking for as far as price. There's a mix of families, retirees, and single people. There is a new interchange being built onto 26 that will provide even easier access than there currently is. The new BJs Wholesale Club is going in near there, too, and the school zone is Nexton (new).

Old 01-02-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinerevelle View Post
The Weatherstone subdivision behind Target at the 199 exit seems to hit what you are looking for as far as price. There's a mix of families, retirees, and single people. There is a new interchange being built onto 26 that will provide even easier access than there currently is. The new BJs Wholesale Club is going in near there, too, and the school zone is Nexton (new).
Weatherstone is nice, and we looked there, too. I would just recommend they research where the road is going to cut through (might have already; I'm not sure of the status). Might not matter to them, and I wouldn't be concerned if I was renting, but it could be a concern for resale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area